4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

got beat by an SE-R, what the hell?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 08:31 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 92 SE-R 02 SE
Im going to buy a 95-97 tranny, get it cyro'd and shotpeended, and since quiafe doesnt make the LSD anymore im going to run the nismo LSD or the phantom grip. the stock lsd is goin after lots of auto-x and road racing events..
yup mines goin too. I've heard good things about the phantom grip though.
Old 11-09-2003, 08:37 AM

while not a big fan of the new SE-R (the QR motor sucks *****) the old school ones are the $hit. Although the new SE-Rs are known to run mid 14s with some bolt-ons..I like my 92, thats getting a DET in the spring. Mmmm DET

hahaha dam, got beat? hahaha Yea I am a new Max owner and I bought it for my girl to cruise. I use this site for helpful info on the basics of the car....But a Maxima as a race car is just too funny. Why poor all that money into it? Just my 2 cents...P.S. Dont hate on 4 bangers... They are lethal..
Old 11-09-2003, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Neef
hahaha dam, got beat? hahaha Yea I am a new Max owner and I bought it for my girl to cruise. I use this site for helpful info on the basics of the car....But a Maxima as a race car is just too funny. Why poor all that money into it? Just my 2 cents...P.S. Dont hate on 4 bangers... They are lethal..
aww **** here we go again
Old 11-09-2003, 08:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well Hal's car is putting over 550 HP to the crank...Just imagine with built internals, lower compression and proper engine management...Perhaps the maxima will never be a true race car, but it will, $ for $, embarrass cars costing 2 or 3 times as much...Check out the videos in his homepage and you too will be inspired...
Old 11-09-2003, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Neef
www.hlh0501.com
Old 11-09-2003, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by fearthegecko
Well not really, but still those things are ufking fast.

To make a long, stupid story short, wound up on I-80 at like 1:30 last night, and went to pass an SE-R, with an exhaust, bodykit, rims, etc. Looked like the guy had traded in his civic for a sentra and stripped the rice from the civic and put it on the sentra. Anyway, i passed him, then he tried to overtake me, and i brought it up to 90, just to see if he'd go after me, then realized i didn't have the radar detector plugged in. Slowed down, let him blow past me, got in the right lane, saw his hazards go on.

really p1ssed me off.

The thing that got me though, is i went from like 40 to 80 really quickly, and for a couple of seconds had him at one car length. then, it was like the max just ran outta power at 90, and he was still pulling.

I definitely need to get my Y-pipe.
What color was this car ? was it a spec v?
yes a y -pipe would help out but a 5 spd would be even better
he was probly a 5 spd with all the bolt ons but its not like he beat you anyway cause you let off
The Sr20 is def a good motor and responds well to mods and has a whole lot more aftermarket than we do which sux for us my ypipe helped out a lot on my top end as did my cat back
Old 11-09-2003, 10:06 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

QR is an open deck design, and without changing the internals, you really cant boost more than about 260 WHP. The SRs many stock internaled turbo cars are putting down 450 + HP. THe sr is one strong as$ motor!

not to mention the 6100 rev limit, when i test drove an 02, i kept hittin the damn thing. With the JWT ECU, my 92 revs to 7800
cool!
Old 11-09-2003, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
cool!
Thats why I like max's though..sleeper status...Some CAN be fast
Old 11-09-2003, 11:34 AM

Performance parts for the price and power don't seem to be very good for the max.
Old 11-09-2003, 11:52 AM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

Originally Posted by SterlingMistMax
What color was this car ? was it a spec v?
yes a y -pipe would help out but a 5 spd would be even better
he was probly a 5 spd with all the bolt ons but its not like he beat you anyway cause you let off
The Sr20 is def a good motor and responds well to mods and has a whole lot more aftermarket than we do which sux for us my ypipe helped out a lot on my top end as did my cat back

what's up man, haven't heard from you in a while. You should check out the NE forums, been trying to get a NE PA mini-meet going for a while.....

Anyway, looked into it more, and i'm pretty sure it was 2000-2003, and not quite sure if it was spec-V or not. Assuming it's not, since i couldn't really see any extra badging, and besides which, really wouldn't have mattered, because we alll know badges can be added on at any time.

If i knew this thread was going to get as involved as it was, i would have gone deeper into the story. the reason why this all started was because the dude was BSing around at a light, revving his engine and such, so i redlined it and let them hear the CAI. Then i was driving normally down the street to WAWA, with them behind me (nothing strange, since it was friday night, and we were headed down the main drag) I went to Wawa, and they pulled in next to me, and three dudes get out of the car. Big, big dudes. I'm 6'4", 220 lbs, and these guys made me feel tiny. So i go into Wawa, and the driver goes in, and the 2 passengers stay outside with the car. I get my ish, and get back in the car, and my friend that i had with me was like, Just go, let's get out of here. I all like, why? what's the matter? and she's like, just go, i'll tell you later. So i go to leave the parking lot, and the dude in the SE-R, leaves out the second exit and goes right past me, so that he's now in front of me. I'm following him down the road, and my friend says don't fock with these guys, and i'm like: what do you mean? and she says, while you were inside wawa, the other 2 dudes were staring you down and talking about jumping you. So at this point was when i was passing him, and then the dude gave chase.

I had to get off the next exit, so i figured if i put enough space between us, there would be no problem, since they wouldn't be able to catch up with me. I guess that's why i was so surprised that they kept up.

I'm desperately trying to understand your logic here. Let me see if i got it straight:

1. You only come to the org for basic info on the max, not for information on improving the performance of the car. So, you wouldn't really know all that much about the various bolt-ons, supercharger/turbo kits, or the fact that the max was originally designated as a "4-door sports car"?
2. That it's a waste to spend money modding a 6-cyl max, yet pouring twice as much into a 4-cyl to get the same power as you would from a maxima is a good investment.
3. That 4-bangers are "lethal". now is this before or after they spend all that money just matching the power of the max, nevermind all the money that has to be spent to overtake it. Or let's compare other 6-cyl cars, such as the accord, 300ZX, 350Z, or NSX. Do you think anyone that drives these cars looks at a 4-banger, riced out or not, and feels any fear that that car will beat them? I think not.

::edit::
but its not like he beat you anyway cause you let off

True, but i still went at it. It's like why bother doing anything if you don't give it your best shot.
Old 11-09-2003, 04:08 PM

I love my max no matter what. No complains from me.
Old 11-09-2003, 04:24 PM

I would def be up for a meet ive never been to one
glad you didnt have any problems with them starting shiet
musta been jealous you had a female wit you and drove a nicer car
Old 11-09-2003, 07:42 PM

I love how so many people love to ***** and complain when a relatively brand new car barely beats their 4th gen maxima in a race.

if you drive a 4th gen, your car is between 5 and 9 years old... some of you take that fact for granted.

comparing a 4th gen maxima to a brand new car is apples to oranges, and even knowing that fact, there's still plenty of brand new cars that the 4th gen keeps up with and/or outperforms.

honda drivers spend $24,000 on their '03 RSX type S that has trouble keeping up with our 4th gens that probably cost you 6 grand when you bought it used last year.

so what the hell are you complaining about? pit a '96 maxima against a '96 integra and see what happens.
you get my idea. put things into correct perspective before you complain about your car, and if you don't like your maxima, sell it. we'd rather not have you driving one if you don't take at least some pride in it.

Old 11-09-2003, 09:45 PM

well...after all my mods i have beat a lot of SE-R´s on my town...i think over 100mph that car is not fast as max...but everythins is possible on this world.
Old 11-09-2003, 10:24 PM

fearthegecko, that was a funny comment to tight-whip!!!!!