4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How the hell to change a fog light bulb?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 06:01 PM

How the hell to change a fog light bulb?

Earlier today, I was trying to replace a bulb for my driver's side fog light. I removed the whole fog light assembly from the bumper w/o any problems. It looks like you have to get inside the light assembly to replace the bulb? If so, how do I get in there? I couldn't see any screws or anything that could be holding the lens to the rest of the assembly. Did I overlook something?
If I don't have to take the lens off for bulb replacement, I still want to remove the lens to clean the inside of the lens. Does anyone know how to do this?
Old 11-07-2003, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by white95max
Earlier today, I was trying to replace a bulb for my driver's side fog light. I removed the whole fog light assembly from the bumper w/o any problems. It looks like you have to get inside the light assembly to replace the bulb? If so, how do I get in there? I couldn't see any screws or anything that could be holding the lens to the rest of the assembly. Did I overlook something?
If I don't have to take the lens off for bulb replacement, I still want to remove the lens to clean the inside of the lens. Does anyone know how to do this?
Remove the black cap by turning counterclockwise. THe H3 bulb is held in with a spring clip. Being careful not to pinch your finger, push it down and around the hook in the inner housing/reflector. The H3 bulb grounds directly to the reflector but has a pigtail lead that is the hot in. You'll have to pull that connector from the wire coming through the back of the cap. Now the bulb will slide out. When you're replacing, make sure you don't touch the bulb glass (I usually give it a wipe with rubbing alcohol).

As for the lens, it shouldn't be dirty on the inside, but if you really want to clean it, pour a bit of alcohol in and slosh it around. Make sure it's drained completely before you reinstall the bulb and cap. I would advise against removing the lens from the outer housing because that requires a heat gun and a lot of patience, and is just not worth the trouble.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:23 AM

yeah....do as albert sez

that will work just fine with the alcohol.

and he layed out the bulb replacement.

as far as trying to bake the fogs open......dont

i have baked tails and heads with friends, and we tried to bake my passenger side fog to fix the reflective material inside that was peeling off the housing. I should have just busted the lens because that is the only way in.

i dont know what they used to seal those lenses on with, but i tried all sorts of temp and time combinations to no avail.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Albertt
Remove the black cap by turning counterclockwise. THe H3 bulb is held in with a spring clip. Being careful not to pinch your finger, push it down and around the hook in the inner housing/reflector. The H3 bulb grounds directly to the reflector but has a pigtail lead that is the hot in. You'll have to pull that connector from the wire coming through the back of the cap. Now the bulb will slide out. When you're replacing, make sure you don't touch the bulb glass (I usually give it a wipe with rubbing alcohol).

As for the lens, it shouldn't be dirty on the inside, but if you really want to clean it, pour a bit of alcohol in and slosh it around. Make sure it's drained completely before you reinstall the bulb and cap. I would advise against removing the lens from the outer housing because that requires a heat gun and a lot of patience, and is just not worth the trouble.
This can be done on 95-96 Maxes as well as 97+ right?
Old 11-08-2003, 09:06 AM

I just answered my own question. That was easy as hell. Thanks a lot for instructions Albertt. They were well written.
And to clean all the crap out of the inside, I just took the bulb out, and shook the whole thing upside down. All of the crap came falling right out. It was mostly reflector material I think. But all of it is out now and the new bulb is just as bright as the other side now.
Hooray!