4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Symptoms of dried starter motor grease preventing function

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 04:03 PM

Symptoms of dried starter motor grease preventing function

I've read through many of the posts about starter motor problems, and I think I may have mine figured out.... just want to confirm:

Gradually for a week or two, my engine was turning over very slowly but would still start after 2-4 revolutions. Sounded like starter motor wasn't getting enough juice, but battery is 1 year old and very strong. Now, starter doesn't work at all, as if it had been disconnected.

If the starter motor has plenty of juice, and there's no solenoid clicking happening, is it very likely that the grease inside the starter is so dried out that it won't allow any function of motor to turn or solenoid to move? Just want to be sure before I go through the starter removal.

Thanks for any help,
~Gary
Old 11-05-2003, 05:53 PM

No, if it was the grease then it wouldn't occur suddenly. Take out the starter, and sand all the electrical contacts till you see shiny metal (there was a ton of crap on mine) and make sure you connect the ground. Then try starting. Also, try tapping it with a hammer a few times....might just be a dead spot
Old 11-06-2003, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by PoePoe2797
No, if it was the grease then it wouldn't occur suddenly. Take out the starter, and sand all the electrical contacts till you see shiny metal (there was a ton of crap on mine) and make sure you connect the ground. Then try starting. Also, try tapping it with a hammer a few times....might just be a dead spot
Actually, I made a mistake... when I checked for the solenoid engaging there was some background noise nearby. Once in my quiet driveway, I could hear the solenoid clicking away. No turning of the starter at all.

It really wasn't sudden... it was gradual. Little by little, the starter would turn over more slowly, although the engine would start only after a couple of rotations. I pushed on the contacts to make sure they were all seated properly. As for tapping with a hammer, I really can't get at the motor all that well without taking out some intake components. Haven't had time to try that yet.

Anyway, have any other ideas with the new info provided?
Thanks,
~Gary
Old 11-06-2003, 06:14 PM

Maybe the clicking you are hearing is arching? When my starter went, the two terminals on the solenoid would just arch everytime i tried to start the car and the starter wouldnt spin. I would really try hitting it with a hammer first, alot of people temporairly fixed the problem by this. If I were in your situation, I would remove the starter from the vehicle. Take jumper cables, connect 1 (-) to a ground and (+) to the battery. Connect the other (-) to the starter housing where the screws go through and then test the (+) on both solenoid terminals......one should spin the motor and the other should do nothing. Now connect the (+) to the terminal that did nothing and unclamp the (-) and somehow connect it to the single ground connector on the solenoid (I used a nail to reach into the connector) This should now push the starter "gear" out.

If both work like they are supposed to then your starter is fine (although I do recommend you regrease it while you have the starter out already...itll only take about 30 mins). If something doesnt work, you might need a new solenoid or starter. Hope that makes sense....it's really easy but my explanation is kinda confusing. Ok Ill try to put it simpler terms, to clarify a little....

you have 2 terminals on the solenoid with a connector as the ground. 1 terminal is uses the connector as a ground to complete the circuit (which pushes the starter out to engage the flywheel), and the other terminal just uses the starter housing as a ground to complete a different circuit (which spins the starter).

^^^I hope that sorta clarified it
Old 11-09-2003, 12:03 PM

I appreciate the additional info and advice! I live in an area that had a bad cold spell this weekend, so I couldn't try it out yet; hopefully in a couple of days. But yes, what you said makes sense. I'll give it a try. Thanks!
~Gary