4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Dead starter motor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 05:58 PM

Dead starter motor?

For the first time, I’ve got a problem with my Max . I went to turn the key, but nothing happened. Everything inside the car worked fine (CD player, lights, etc) but when I go to start the car, its dead, doesn’t make any sounds likes its trying to turn over. So, I thought maybe the battery ran down enough that there was not enough power to start the car, but enough for everything else, so tried jumpstarting, still wouldn’t do anything . It seems to me like it could be a problem with the starter motor, what do you guys think? If so, what caused it to just suddenly die? Thanks for any help
Old 10-29-2003, 07:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've had the same problem with my 96 and my wife's 95. More problems with hers. I happens intermittently. Sometimes several times in a day other times once a month. I replaced the starter solenoid and cleaned and lubed the starter. All seemed fine for nearly two months and then it happened again. Took about 13 times before it started. No clicks, no nothing then it starts like nothing is wrong.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've just solved the problem with similar symptoms in my 97 SE with 54k miles.
Intermittent low starter speed like the battery had high internal resistance, sometimes nothing, not even a click. Actually changed out the battery, but the problem persisted. Measured the starter voltage from the solenoid and it was ok. Finally took the starter apart. The brushes in the starter motor had worn down such that they were making intermittent contact. I order a new brush assembly from Nissan, will have it in a couple of days. Others have reported that the grease inside the starter hardens and does allow full return of the solenoid.

Dan

Originally Posted by Matt_NZ
For the first time, I’ve got a problem with my Max . I went to turn the key, but nothing happened. Everything inside the car worked fine (CD player, lights, etc) but when I go to start the car, its dead, doesn’t make any sounds likes its trying to turn over. So, I thought maybe the battery ran down enough that there was not enough power to start the car, but enough for everything else, so tried jumpstarting, still wouldn’t do anything . It seems to me like it could be a problem with the starter motor, what do you guys think? If so, what caused it to just suddenly die? Thanks for any help
Old 10-29-2003, 08:55 PM

Just take the starter out and test it at Autozone, more often than not you need a new starter.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

It’s definitely the dried grease problem inside of the starter.
I’ve tried everything! I mean everything but ended up finding dried grease problem.
Next time when you have hard time starting your car and you hear nothing even you turn your key then open the hood and lightly tap the starter with hammer or something.
If your car starts then you need to open the starter and repack the starter.
It’s very easy! Try this first before spending hundreds of dollars like I did!
Search the forum and you’ll see the link and article about this problem.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by sickmen
If your car starts then you need to open the starter and repack the starter.
It’s very easy! Try this first before spending hundreds of dollars like I did!
Search the forum and you’ll see the link and article about this problem.
Wish I had seen this last year. Replacing the starter on mine was the first significant repair ever done on the car. The car had about 115k miles at the time.

Before I could get the starter replaced I bought a 24" socket extension and, if the car wouldn't start, would thread that long extension down to the starter and bang on it. Car would start fine after that.

FS: 24" socket extension.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:55 AM

test the starter by providing 12 volts to it and watch it engage if it works.
yes you will have to remove it
Old 10-30-2003, 04:15 PM

Thanks for all the advice Luckily, it happened the day before I went out of town, so when I get back home (end of next week), I’ll follow the advice given here . It’s done a lot of K’s (240,000 Kilometers/149 129 miles), so I should have assumed something would be about to fail.
How much do new starter motors usually cost?
Old 10-30-2003, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Matt_NZ
Thanks for all the advice Luckily, it happened the day before I went out of town, so when I get back home (end of next week), I’ll follow the advice given here . It’s done a lot of K’s (240,000 Kilometers/149 129 miles), so I should have assumed something would be about to fail.
How much do new starter motors usually cost?
Well, I had to change my 95SE at about 150,000 miles. Just like yours, it just suddenly quit working. I believe a rebuilt one from Advance Auto cost me about $169.00 plus core fee. I was suprised that the starter gets replaced from the top side of the motor. There are two bolts holding it on. One of them, the larger one, has about a 19MM head. The bolt itself is about 6 inches long..goes way back in the block. This bolt was a MAJOR pita to get out. I wrung my 3/8" extension into. I then went to my Dad's and got a 1'2" drive torque wrench and a 3/4" impact socket. Even with the long torque wrench, I thought the bolt was going to wring off before it came loose....you knwo what I mean...you're pulling so hard that your arm is shaking! Anyway, I just kept working with it and finally it broke loose...after it broke loose you could just about unscrew it by hand. But that larger bolt is in there really tight.

Hope this helps
Old 10-31-2003, 01:51 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

may also be corrosion in the connector on the battery....see the red connector on the possitive battery terminal.

replacing the starter isn't too bad...adn hour with the right tools. I second that about the upper bolt being tight....i had a 2 foot pipe on a breaker bar...i think the suspension compressed about 3 inches before it broke loose. I think mine was $145 w/lifetime warranty at AutoZone.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:04 PM

Ok, I've been able to have a look at it now. It seems somehow the battery was drained during the time that I was away, as nothing worked inside the car. So, transferred one of the batteries out of our Nissan Patrol and things inside the car worked again, but still nothing when I tried to start it, which ruled out the battery.

So, just to rule things out, I put the car into diagnostics mode, found out I have a faulty knock sensor, but I don't think thats related. Anyway, after doing that, the car now makes sounds like its trying to start, but each time I try, it sounds worse, and not because the battery is going flat, even does this when its connected to the Patrol by jumper leads. So, tomorrow I'll pull the starter motor out and have a look, hopefully I won't need to replace it...