4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How well do the 4th gen hold up to road racing

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 05:34 AM

How well do the 4th gen hold up to road racing

I was up at NHIS a couple weeks ago and my Vette broke so I went home to get the Maxima and drove her the rest of the weekend. She held up well, except new pads, warped rotors and completely chewed up tires.

I have a '97 SE 5 sp w/ 76k, anybody run thier car? Problems?

Thanks.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:54 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

What are you talking about?
Old 10-22-2003, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by amixam98

1st I'm talking about a Maxima you know from Nissan
2nd 4th Gen a 95-99
3rd Road Racing: that thing where you drive your car around a track, reserved for those who actually know how to drive not some moron on the street
4th NHIS New Hampshire International Speedway
5th Vette= Corvette
6th Weekend= Saturday & Sunday
7th Run Your Car: Actually drive it not just bolt on stupid wings
8th Problems: are there any issues things that break all the time, things that may need to upgraded

I hope that helps
Old 10-22-2003, 07:40 AM
be the change u want2C

Are you talking about autocrossing?
Old 10-22-2003, 07:42 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Old 10-22-2003, 07:44 AM
be the change u want2C

Yeha there are issues, The stock suspension sux, Get that upgraged, Get a big Brake kit, Some tuning products, like Y-pipe, CAI, B-Pipe, Exhaust, Better tires with lighter rims, CF Hood, take out the back seat, your spare tire in the trunk, Is your maxima Auto or 5spd??? If its auto you should get a VB-Mod with a TQ Converter, and a Tranny Cooler
Old 10-22-2003, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Ni_Nos_Maxima
Are you talking about autocrossing?

Autocrossing means Autocrossing

Driving between cones in a big parking lot

Road Racing means Road Racing

Driving on a Race track most of the time a road course like Waltkins Glen, NHIS, Lime Rock, Road America ect.

Maybe I'm on the wrong Forum
Old 10-22-2003, 07:49 AM
How 'bout them cliffs?

Originally Posted by L98Terror

Driving on a Race track most of the time a road course like Waltkins Glen, NHIS, Lime Rock, Road America ect.

there is a forum on this site for autocross/road racing. people there would be of much more help.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:57 AM

Yeha there are issues, The stock suspension sux, Get that upgraged, Get a big Brake kit, Some tuning products, like Y-pipe, CAI, B-Pipe, Exhaust, Better tires with lighter rims, CF Hood, take out the back seat, your spare tire in the trunk, Is your maxima Auto or 5spd??? If its auto you should get a VB-Mod with a TQ Converter, and a Tranny Cooler
Well all that is great, but I want to stay in a Stock Class SSA

Tires are a no brainer, any intake or exhaust work is against the rules. I would rather not make it a race car because I already have one of those.

PS Post #1 I stated 5 sp, I did place 2nd in class with stock set-up and all season M&S tires. So it ran pretty good, mainly againest BMW's the winner was running a Daytona
Old 10-22-2003, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by dmBK
there is a forum on this site for autocross/road racing. people there would be of much more help.

Thanks, I'll post over there as well.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:58 AM
be the change u want2C

ok guys, ill conform to your ways. sorry for calling you and a$$ l98. You should check this guys Maxima. Its nice for road racing, you should try to get into the league he's in, Ionno why But Maximas are nice cars to do AutoCrossing\RoadRacing with

Maxima Link

Would the rules for your New Hampshire International Speedway let you upgrade suspension and or brakes?
Old 10-22-2003, 10:47 AM

Thanks, I'll post over there as well.
Don't get too frustrated, it's just that most of the guys/gals on this forum only know how to drive fast in a straight line...from stop light to stop light.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: 3rd post

Morons spell moron as moran
Old 10-22-2003, 03:26 PM

ok guys, ill conform to your ways. sorry for calling you and a$$ l98. You should check this guys Maxima. Its nice for road racing, you should try to get into the league he's in, Ionno why But Maximas are nice cars to do AutoCrossing\RoadRacing with

Maxima Link

Would the rules for your New Hampshire International Speedway let you upgrade suspension and or brakes?

I'll be following SCCA rules, I think you can change shocks but that's about it. Unless you upgrade to something that was done in later years but a stock option. ie sway bars, different tire size ect but it needs to be factory.

You can chnge rotors & pads but they must remain the stock size.

All and all you can change what you like but then your class changes, I already have a street car that I'm classed against race cars, I don't want to do that again.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:45 PM

I know what u mean. My boss does this in his porsche. Its cool
Old 10-22-2003, 03:46 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I'll be following SCCA rules, I think you can change shocks but that's about it. Unless you upgrade to something that was done in later years but a stock option. ie sway bars, different tire size ect but it needs to be factory.

You can chnge rotors & pads but they must remain the stock size.

All and all you can change what you like but then your class changes, I already have a street car that I'm classed against race cars, I don't want to do that again.
welcome,

i would strongly suggest getting some energy suspension front sway bar and end-link bushings. that will tighten your suspension up the most without breaking the guidelined for that class. good luck
Old 10-22-2003, 03:49 PM

yeah a friend of mine was doing well in stock class, but he put a carbon fiber hood on(stupid a$$) and now he's getting smoked in a modded class.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by CullenJ76
yeah a friend of mine was doing well in stock class, but he put a carbon fiber hood on(stupid a$$) and now he's getting smoked in a modded class.

You have to be careful
Old 10-23-2003, 10:00 AM
Redlinemax Owner

I actually had checked into going to one of those types of tracks not too close to me and I thought about bringing my car to try and run it on the track, they have like a "test and tune" day. Is it almost a guarantee that you will smoke your tires and brake system on a day like that?
Old 10-23-2003, 11:54 AM

No one hardly visits the racing threads, so don't bother posting there. I'm actually trying to build my car up for road racing. I've only done a lot of riding around on different courses in a buddy of mine's integra type R. The only thing holding me back now are tires. A couple of laps around the track in street tires, and kiss them goodbye. It's very important to take those cool down laps, etc., and not use your parking brake when you park after your runs...that's when your rotors are most prone to warping. It is amazing though how much better a stock ITR with 100k+..even on worn stock suspension, can still hold up so much better than my modded suspension max =(.
Old 10-23-2003, 01:18 PM
An atavistic endeavor...

God damn...dude comes in here calling people morons (and misspelling moron in the process...nice job...dat mekes u look reel smrt) dissing people left and right, hella elitist attitude bragging about **** and expects advice from people. What a pompous ***.

Despite that this thread is interesting to me because I am DYING to get my car to a track...probably Limerock. Brakes are definitely a concern since you can start seeing some serious fade just from driving hard on the street. That really should be my next project, but it's expensive. Suspension is definitely a must...I can't imagine dealing with the bus-like handling of the stock suspension on a track. Tires too...I wonder what the best combo is though. Running 235's for traction would be *****in, but I'm not going to buy < 17inch wheels to replace stock...so there goes some speed.
Old 10-23-2003, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by endus
God damn...dude comes in here calling people morons (and misspelling moron in the process...nice job...dat mekes u look reel smrt) dissing people left and right, hella elitist attitude bragging about **** and expects advice from people. What a pompous ***.

Despite that this thread is interesting to me because I am DYING to get my car to a track...probably Limerock. Brakes are definitely a concern since you can start seeing some serious fade just from driving hard on the street. That really should be my next project, but it's expensive. Suspension is definitely a must...I can't imagine dealing with the bus-like handling of the stock suspension on a track. Tires too...I wonder what the best combo is though. Running 235's for traction would be *****in, but I'm not going to buy < 17inch wheels to replace stock...so there goes some speed.
I actually didn't call anyone a moron or a moran, it was a statement. But if the shoe fits

Why not sign up with comscc.com for Limerock on the 12th of November, I've run my car as it sits at NHIS and it did very well. You really don't want to chnge to much or your class will change and you will have no hope. In SSA with a good set of tires I am confident that I could contend for a win. The Maxima handles better than you think.

Before you change anything you really should just get out there, you'll love it.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:43 PM

LMAO!!!!!!!!!! What is so hard to understand guys! LMAO, he means racing his maxima On a road.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tight_Whip
LMAO!!!!!!!!!! What is so hard to understand guys! LMAO, he means racing his maxima On a road.
..his maxima On a road...COURSE
Old 10-24-2003, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Tight_Whip

That's what I'm Saying
Old 10-24-2003, 05:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

No, you're on the right forum, you just happened upon the guys who post before realizing they haven't connected their brain properly to the keyboard. (kind of like that old 'think' before you 'talk' saying) Anyhow if you can replace the struts/springs or do any kind of suspension work, it will help a lot. The stock suspension on a maxima sucks compared to the stock suspension on your vette .. as to be expected
Old 10-24-2003, 07:03 AM
be the change u want2C

They have Nismo Suspension for our car, Just Search for it, ITs basically KYB Adj. and someother thing, I cant remember, I think Nismo also offers Big Brake Upgrades for our car too, Not too sure though, Post a thread about it.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:07 AM

They have Nismo Suspension for our car, Just Search for it, ITs basically KYB Adj. and someother thing, I cant remember, I think Nismo also offers Big Brake Upgrades for our car too, Not too sure though, Post a thread about it.
That's good, but he said upgraded rotors would have to be same size. Unless being nismo cancels that out which I doubt.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:58 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Why not sign up with comscc.com for Limerock on the 12th of November, I've run my car as it sits at NHIS and it did very well. You really don't want to chnge to much or your class will change and you will have no hope. In SSA with a good set of tires I am confident that I could contend for a win. The Maxima handles better than you think.

Before you change anything you really should just get out there, you'll love it.
Well the suspension is done (and thank god for that!). As far as november, I'm running all season tires, and the fronts are very close to the wear bars. So I doubt I'll make it by then. I really want to go with at least summer tires on the new 8" rims I'll get next year so I can run 235's. 235 SP 9000's with the new suspension will be ridiculous. I'm not that worried about changing my class yet since I just want to drive on a track for the first time before I even think about racing. It's a good idea though...if I could afford new tires right now I might have tried to make it.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:03 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Waht's your source for this? It's been well known for awhile tht there ARE no Nismo parts for the Max. I just searched to see if that had changed and all I see is that there are some Nismo parts that will be sold in the US, but there were basically none for the Max. Waht is your source for saying that they're making brakes or suspension for our car? If you're right I'm happy as hell, but as far as I know that's not true...maybe I missed a thread though....I could be wrong.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:07 AM

Maxima Link

Actually the owner of the car Barry sold the car to another org member and so he doesn't auto-x it any more. I bought some wheels from him for when I auto-x my car. Go out and have fun road racing or auto-x'ing your gonna have fun no matter what...the only thing is that the mod bug will bite even more.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:38 AM

Why would anyone spend thousands of $ to road race a maxima??? I mean this is a 4 door luxury sedan, not a sports car. Why not start with a good platform to begin with, say an RX-7, 300Z, MR2, whatever. Does anyone take a Lincoln towncar and roadrace that either?? Just curious.......
Old 10-24-2003, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by USRacer900
Why would anyone spend thousands of $ to road race a maxima??? I mean this is a 4 door luxury sedan, not a sports car. Why not start with a good platform to begin with, say an RX-7, 300Z, MR2, whatever. Does anyone take a Lincoln towncar and roadrace that either?? Just curious.......
It's no different than asking why people drag race, or put mods on their car. I don't do it to be competitive in any way. It's just really good to see where the limits of your car is, and what your car is capable of, so you can utilize all that into everyday driving incase it comes down to it...and yes, I've seen a lincoln towncar on a road course before.
Old 10-24-2003, 03:01 PM

I would recommend Porterfield R4S brake pads and if the rules allow, some slotted rotors. I have these on my maxima and they are great for everyday driving (ie no noise and good initial bite even when cold) but they won't give up when they get hot. I go autocrossing in my car and I haven't experienced fade yet. I haven't had the opportunity to road race which I know is harder on the brakes (there isn't a road racing track in my state). I still beleive you would be happy with the porterfeild's performance though.