4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

It finally happened...I got in an accident!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 01:06 PM

It finally happened...I got in an accident!!

My front is pretty jacked-up. I swerved slightly to the right since there was a free construction area, but my Max is in pretty sad shape. The motor and drivetrain appear to be fine, but the headlight, hood, fender, bumper, and radiator are gone. The city has been doing road construction for about a month on Warner Ave, about 1 mile from my home. Coincidently, I got in an incident about a year ago when a car turn onto Warner (about 20 yards from the closed lane) and cut me off. I locked my brakes then and hit the curb at 25 MPH after plowing down a few cones. This is time, the truck ahead of me suddenly hit the brakes and I didn't judge accordingly. I was doing 45 MPH in a 45 zone and I was about 7 car lengths behind when I started to hit the brakes. It was about 4 car lengths that I realized I had to come to a complete stop, but I didn't make it. I hit the 91 Ford F150 at about 7 MPHs. But because his bumper was so high and my Maxima was dropped 1.5," we didn't make a bumper to bumper contact. Instead, my headlights and grill hit his bumper and the damage was much worse. However, if his truck were a normal passenger car, the damage on his car would be much worse also. His truck had just about no damage other than his tow bar. We swapped insurance and numbers and that's about it. I drove my Max back home (it was less than a mile). I noticed a huge difference in aerodynamics as my hood was buckled up and my grill and headlamp was completely gone. I'll take some pics and hopefully I can get this all sorted out.

After I got the car home, I found my other key to my 89 626. I'm at work now, but still pretty bummed about the accident. Luckily the guy I hit was the nicest guy in the world. I'm trying to figure out how this accident happened. My car was cold, my tires were cold, I locked em up and skidded about 6 feet. But I trying to figure out why my car just won't stop. I've been driving my 89 626 for about a week. It does not have power brakes, so I think I might have gotten use to pressing the brakes hard. My Maxima has power brakes plus I have the Brembo GT upgrade. I think I might have panic'd and hit the brakes way too hard.
Old 09-22-2003, 01:23 PM
DoGGy

noooooooooo KEVIN !!

Old 09-22-2003, 01:45 PM
Sports Button FTW

sorry man glad u ok though
Old 09-22-2003, 02:38 PM

Wow that sucks. Hope you get all that stuff fixed and lookin good again soon.
Old 09-22-2003, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jr'sMaxima
Wow that sucks. Hope you get all that stuff fixed and lookin good again soon.
Yeah, I'm still boggled to why my car just couldn't stop. I have plenty of time and distance. Well, the guy I hit lives right by me and is really cool. He's actually going camping with his girlfriend out in Malibu for a few days so I'll have to give him a call when he returns. I'm wondering if I should go through insurance since my deductable is $1k (hey, my insurance is dirt cheap...and I wasn't counting on an accident). If I don't go through the insurance, I think I can do a cheap fix.

CF Hood
Car-part.com radiator core support
I'll already have the Cefiro lights in the boxes
Car-part.com grill

and I think I'm back in business. Possibly the bumper needs to be replaced, but definitely worked on. Strangely, my bumper cover is fine...his bumper and my headlight/grill met...not my bumper.