4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Getting faster and faster

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 11:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Getting faster and faster

I took the AC out as many people know but at first i didnt notice that it was that much faster, just drove different. But after the initial drive i have been noticing that it is getting faster. Is it just taking me this long to realize or is it cause the ECU adjusted some way?
Old 07-23-2003, 11:54 AM
I'm needing a caw

When the ac is not on, there not much drag on the system. Just whatever drag the pulley belt would have.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:55 AM

I don't feel the drag even when the ac is on.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:56 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I bet you burn up in that car
Old 07-23-2003, 12:17 PM
ejj

Originally posted by deezo
I don't feel the drag even when the ac is on.
Really? I can't stand it! I only use the AC when on the highway at a constant speed.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:19 PM
Father of the 00 VI

the ac only weighs 33 lbs ,doesnt make sense a del sol ac system weighs about 45lbs. Do you have the part # for the belt for the AC.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by ejj

Really? I can't stand it! I only use the AC when on the highway at a constant speed.
I grew up driving air-cooled VeeDubs (Beetles and Minibuses), and AC was an aftermarket item on VWs that never seemed to last for very long. Plus it worked the poor engine even harder on days when it was having a hard enough time staying cool in the hot air. So I got into the habit of removing them if I ended up with a VW that had an AC. Never really missed the AC until I got older. Now I don't think I could survive a Texas summer without AC, especially in my black on black Max (at least I have cloth and not leather!) But I still don't use it all that much. My wussy kids always complain about it when they're riding with me.

If my Max ever becomes a strictly performance vehicle and not a daily driver then I'm going to remove the compressor, evaporator and condensor.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:51 PM
ejj

Originally posted by Stephen Max
I don't think I could survive a Texas summer without AC, especially in my black on black Max
I'm sure I'd use it all the time if I lived in Texass. However, here in wintery Buffalo, we rarly see temps in the 80's, so rolling the windows down is more than enough.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:53 PM

Yeah mine is for performance now. Also you dont want to remove the evaporator because then the heating core doesnt work, unless if you want to take that out too. But if you do you dont have defrost and you might freeze in the winter.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by 96BLUMAX
Yeah mine is for performance now. Also you dont want to remove the evaporator because then the heating core doesnt work, unless if you want to take that out too. But if you do you dont have defrost and you might freeze in the winter.
Hmmm. Yeah, we do get one or two cold days down here in winter.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:05 PM
SLOW

I paid 250 for a new AC condensor when I hit that deer back in april. I havent gotten the system charged yet though so AC is still useless. I should have just saved the 250 and saved the 33lbs and not installed it at all.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:59 PM

Yeah that is true neal. I think the car pulls better without it and the acceleration is more smooth.
Old 07-23-2003, 03:06 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Hmmm. Yeah, we do get one or two cold days down here in winter.
It may be hott in Texas, but at least it's fairly dry. It's the worst here in Florida becuase we have heat and humidity, which makes the feeling 10 times worse.

You p#ssies in Texas try a day here in sticky Florida and see how long you last.
Old 07-23-2003, 03:11 PM
Tha Snatcher

Fo Sho, i'd like to see you in some nasty DC heat. YUCK
Old 07-23-2003, 03:58 PM
Just the tip.

See, the thing about Texas is that it gets hotter than a **** and humid as hell....with no wind. I'd love to go to Florida right now just for the cool breeze.

P#ssies? Well come on up here when you feel like getting heat stroke.LOL
Old 07-23-2003, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by ejj

I'm sure I'd use it all the time if I lived in Texass. However, here in wintery Buffalo, we rarly see temps in the 80's, so rolling the windows down is more than enough.
Hey, you're in buffalo?? who are you?? I'm in buffalo too! I barely see any other maximas around.
Old 07-23-2003, 05:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm unsure as to why anyone would want to do this. With the A/C off, the clutch on the pulley isn't engaged (read: the compressor is not bogging the engine). If I recall correctly, the A/C clutch disengages at WOT.

So the only benefit of A/C deletion is weight reduction. How much? 33lbs?

For those considering the A/C delete, keep in mind there are all kinds of ways to reduce weight. For example: Taking a **** before driving might be good for 0.01 seconds off your 1/4!
Old 07-23-2003, 05:20 PM
ejj

Originally posted by Stillen_I30

Hey, you're in buffalo?? who are you?? I'm in buffalo too! I barely see any other maximas around.
I live in Cheektowaga. There are a few of us around. Watch out for a custom blue one...that's turbocharged!

You a ubrf.org member?
Old 07-23-2003, 08:57 PM

Hi guys I hate to but in but I have a question for 96blumax about 5 speed conversion. I just converted my 96 maxima and I can't figure out how to connect my reverse lights and I was wondering if you could help me out. By the way I live in Southern Cali and we get over 120 degree weather over the summer plus humidity from the Salton Sea. Try that on for size.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by ejj

Do you have black leather?
Old 07-24-2003, 05:46 AM

Originally posted by nanomax96
Hi guys I hate to but in but I have a question for 96blumax about 5 speed conversion. I just converted my 96 maxima and I can't figure out how to connect my reverse lights and I was wondering if you could help me out. By the way I live in Southern Cali and we get over 120 degree weather over the summer plus humidity from the Salton Sea. Try that on for size.
I did a write-up on that a while back. It's not difficult to do. I'll see if I can find it.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:02 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally posted by sryth
I'm unsure as to why anyone would want to do this. With the A/C off, the clutch on the pulley isn't engaged (read: the compressor is not bogging the engine). If I recall correctly, the A/C clutch disengages at WOT.

For those considering the A/C delete, keep in mind there are all kinds of ways to reduce weight. For example: Taking a **** before driving might be good for 0.01 seconds off your 1/4!
Some people are comfort nuts,some PERFORMANCE nuts ,some a little of both and that is the answer.
I havent hade a spare tire in my car for three years
Old 07-24-2003, 06:47 AM

Back when I frequented the cycling newsgroups, people were always saying this. The counter argument is, after you've taken your ****, you can still reduce the weight of the vehicle. Every little bit helps, and by paying attention to details you can reduce a 23 lb bike to 18 lb. Believe me, there is a huge difference in the way an 18 lb bike feels and handles compared to a 23 lb bike, regardless of what the rider weighs.

I believe it's the same with cars. That 33 lbs (is it really only 33 lbs for compressor, lines, refrigerant, evap and condensor?) improves not only acceleration but also deceleration and handling. Add along other little weight reduction measures elsewhere throughout the car and you will have a car that is more fun to drive, regardless of whether or not you took a dump that morning.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:55 AM
ejj

Originally posted by 96shogunmax

Do you have black leather?
Yes
Old 07-24-2003, 06:56 AM

Originally posted by nanomax96
Here ya go: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ghlight=backup
Old 07-24-2003, 07:33 AM

Thanks Stephen Max. I agree that with weight reduction the car is much more fun. Braking is easier too.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:45 AM

LOL
Old 07-24-2003, 11:41 AM

My g/f would kill me if my car didn't have an A/C. She's always complaining about doing her hair and than I want to open the windows. It would be hard for you to take a girl out on the date and she get all pretty and than her hair is blowing all over the place.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:44 AM

My wussy kids always complain about it when they're riding with me.

that's too funny...
FLO_BOY
Old 07-24-2003, 01:20 PM

Yeah well good thing i dont take girls around in the car unless if they want a fast ride.
Old 07-24-2003, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by ejj

I live in Cheektowaga. There are a few of us around. Watch out for a custom blue one...that's turbocharged!
Cheektowaga??? I visit there all the time from Canada to pick up parts... it's only 180 kms from here (112 miles).
Old 07-24-2003, 08:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Every little bit helps, and by paying attention to details you can reduce a 23 lb bike to 18 lb. Believe me, there is a huge difference in the way an 18 lb bike feels and handles compared to a 23 lb bike, regardless of what the rider weighs.
Yeah, that's true, however that decrease is considerable. You're talkin' 5lbs from 23 (~20%), we're talkin 33lbs from 3k (~1%). It doesn't make sense to me unless you're stripping the car. I doubt 33lbs will be noticable. What you say is true (it all adds up), but deleting A/C for weight reduction is (to me) like trying to lose weight by ordering a diet coke with your super-sized double-quarter pounder meal. It's not going to work unless you change the whole diet.

All and all, I would think the A/C would be on the bottom of the list of things to remove for weight reduction. As for the original poster: Try removing your 18" rims (unsprung weight kills!), I'm sure you'll notice a considerable improvement.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

As for the original poster: Try removing your 18" rims (unsprung weight kills!), I'm sure you'll notice a considerable improvement.
Hmm...seems I was giving weight reduction advice to someone who's done some kick-*** research on it. Sorry, didn't check out your page until now
Old 07-25-2003, 12:23 AM

i dont get it, i payed 700 to get mine fixed.
Old 07-25-2003, 06:16 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally posted by Oblongshapes
i dont get it, i payed 700 to get mine fixed.
I would take my entire ac system off and sell it for 1/4 of that , just ask
Old 07-25-2003, 06:30 AM

Yeah, that's true, however that decrease is considerable. You're talkin' 5lbs from 23 (~20%), we're talkin 33lbs from 3k (~1%). It doesn't make sense to me unless you're stripping the car. I doubt 33lbs will be noticable. What you say is true (it all adds up), but deleting A/C for weight reduction is (to me) like trying to lose weight by ordering a diet coke with your super-sized double-quarter pounder meal. It's not going to work unless you change the whole diet.
Yeah, that 5 lbs is won a few ounces at a time, and you do have to change the whole diet. That's why I'm not removing the AC unless the Maxima goes from a daily driver to a performance-specific vehicle. (Could happen.)
Old 07-25-2003, 06:39 AM
ejj

Originally posted by speedemn

Cheektowaga??? I visit there all the time from Canada to pick up parts... it's only 180 kms from here (112 miles).
I'm telling customs!!

Let me know next time you're coming across the border. We should have a Maxima meet. Where in Canada are you?

like trying to lose weight by ordering a diet coke with your super-sized double-quarter pounder meal
Hey, I do that all the time...although its just because I prefer diet coke...screw loosing weight!
Old 07-25-2003, 06:44 AM

Originally posted by ejj

I'm telling customs!!

Let me know next time you're coming across the border. We should have a Maxima meet. Where in Canada are you?
haha listen b!tch... if they hear a squeak out of you I'll hunt you down

Nobody said that bringing Taco Bell and gas back from across the border would break any customs laws... heheh

Yeah I'll keep you updated as to when I go again. I have a buddy going there today (another one going to MI as well). I might come down in a few weeks again. I'm from Kitchener, ON. That would be a great time to have a mini meet. Thanks dude.
Old 07-26-2003, 06:54 PM

Hahaha, you guys are too funny. Yeah i have done some research and if you rode in my car you would say that it is faster than most 5speed NA maximas. Ill have a full photo shoot of the project once it is all purdy again but we are shooting for 2500lbs without gas in the tank. Ill keep you all updated.