4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

PIAA Xtreme White Plus bulbs problems!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 07:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

PIAA Xtreme White Plus bulbs problems!

I have those Xenon FX 5000K bulbs off of ebay, and they are nice. I've had them for 4 months now. The only problem I had with them was that they melted the 9004 sockets. In March the driver's side light went out; I fixed that. Just last week the passenger side light went out; I fixed that too. My dad had given bought 2 95 maxima wire harnesses from a from junk yard when the first one went out and gave me the spare. So after fixing the passenger light myself, I decide to get the 9004 PIAA Xtreme White Plus(since they use stock wattage)that have they have a hint of blue in them. I got them from Courtesy Nissan after they ordered them. I gleefully installed them, and what do I notice? The lights are yellow! They're not even white and there no shade of blue whatsoever! I tested the bulbs on high beam and low beam but still got that yellow color. I put back my Xenon and they were white and bright (I can't really see a shade of blue in those even though the bulbs have a blue tint).

What gives?! The color of the PIAAs didn't even match up at all with my Polarg bumper and clear corner bulbs. Am I suppossed to let the PIAAs adjust for some time before seeing the difference? The difference between the Xenon FX 5000K and the PIAA Xtreme White PLus is like night and day! The PIAA XTreme White bulbs don't even look like they're worth the price I paid ($81); they have some blue coating on the top of them instead of the silver coating that the Xenon's have and look like they are home-made. In other words, they look like crap. Does anyone else have these lights and have the same problem? Did I just get a defective pair? Sorry about the long post.
Old 06-17-2002, 08:04 AM

I'm considering just upgrading the wire harness since the bulbs those Xenon bulbs are pretty good. Would Pep-Boys sell the harness?
Old 06-17-2002, 08:34 AM

I don't know if pep boys would sell the harness but i have the PIAAs also and they are crap, The high beam is the **** but the low beams don't match and look like garbage standard bulbs and i was very disappointed that i payed 72 bucks for them.

You better off looking for the harness online, You will get it cheaper.
Try some really cool sites like....

Thepartsbin.com and Nopi.com

(It's a bird, It's a plane, No, It's a 99 Maxima SE limited)
Old 06-17-2002, 08:59 AM

Thanks, MaxEffect414. My original topic for this post was that PIAA Xtreme White Plus bulbs suck. I can't understand why these bulbs are so expensive when the quality doesn't even match the price. Oh well, at least I save some money in the long run.
Old 06-17-2002, 09:38 AM

piaa sucks! Aftermarket bulbs! suck save up your coins and get a real HID kit

i went through numerous sets of different bulbs..Piaa, Eurolight, some asian ones and none lasted
Old 07-24-2002, 10:56 AM

Are the Xtreme White Plus really that bad? I've heard good things about them. Considering buying a set myself.
Old 07-24-2002, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by Unibomber
piaa sucks! Aftermarket bulbs! suck save up your coins and get a real HID kit

i went through numerous sets of different bulbs..Piaa, Eurolight, some asian ones and none lasted

those others brands may suck but i would never spend $1000+ on some lighting system just so my headlights are white.
HID is a scam and a waste of money
Old 07-24-2002, 01:02 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by hacim105

Apparently you've never driven in a car equipped with them at night.

And for the record, the HID kits start at around $350, not 1,000.
Old 07-24-2002, 01:07 PM

Guess I'm not that far to one side of this issue after all >>

those others brands may suck but i would never spend $1000+ on some lighting system just so my headlights are white.
This guy makes me look like a moderate.
Old 07-24-2002, 01:10 PM

but with the HID the other many lights we have on the front look
very yellow.
The cars that come with HID stock there front ends flow together.
Just my 2 cents
Old 07-24-2002, 01:21 PM

Check my sig: I compared some lights.

I can't say anything about the 9004 Xtreme whites, but the 9004 super whites are ok (not great, but better than stock). And the H-3 Xtreme whites are really good, much better than the h-3 stock and h-3 piaa super whites.
Old 07-24-2002, 02:13 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i have the extreme white plus and comared to the stock bulbs they are nice and white... give a nice beam... and DO have a tint of blue to them when you pull up to something you can see the blue more then when on the road
Old 07-24-2002, 02:31 PM

Re: PIAA Xtreme White Plus bulbs problems!

Originally posted by athlon omega
I have those Xenon FX 5000K bulbs off of ebay, and they are nice. I've had them for 4 months now. The only problem I had with them was that they melted the 9004 sockets. In March the driver's side light went out; I fixed that. Just last week the passenger side light went out; I fixed that too. My dad had given bought 2 95 maxima wire harnesses from a from junk yard when the first one went out and gave me the spare. So after fixing the passenger light myself, I decide to get the 9004 PIAA Xtreme White Plus(since they use stock wattage)that have they have a hint of blue in them. I got them from Courtesy Nissan after they ordered them. I gleefully installed them, and what do I notice? The lights are yellow! They're not even white and there no shade of blue whatsoever! I tested the bulbs on high beam and low beam but still got that yellow color. I put back my Xenon and they were white and bright (I can't really see a shade of blue in those even though the bulbs have a blue tint).

What gives?! The color of the PIAAs didn't even match up at all with my Polarg bumper and clear corner bulbs. Am I suppossed to let the PIAAs adjust for some time before seeing the difference? The difference between the Xenon FX 5000K and the PIAA Xtreme White PLus is like night and day! The PIAA XTreme White bulbs don't even look like they're worth the price I paid ($81); they have some blue coating on the top of them instead of the silver coating that the Xenon's have and look like they are home-made. In other words, they look like crap. Does anyone else have these lights and have the same problem? Did I just get a defective pair? Sorry about the long post.
here r the bulbs i bought......

http://custommaxima.com/PIAA.html

i have the PIAA Xtreme white blubs and i theink tehy r great.......they kinda have a blue tint when u r looking at them from the front and i also have a wire harness.......i ahve not problem with these bulbs and high beam and low beam both give a nice blueish tint.......
Old 07-24-2002, 02:32 PM

i have all piaa xtreme white plus bulbs on my car and i like them a lot, i do wish there was a shade more blue to them, but when u buy "xtreme white" bulbs, i suppose u should get more of a pure white; my only problem is, they all look very white except the sidemarker bulbs r BLUE!! has anyone installed the piaa xtreme white bulbs in their sidemarkers (u have to use a 168 bulb piaa doesnt produce a 194)? im wondering if they sent me the wrong bulb, because it doesnt match up AT ALL with the other ones
Old 07-24-2002, 03:17 PM

HID isnt a waste of my money...u tell me if u would rater see the road or PRETEND u have HIDs. You're a clown if u think HID isnt as good as regular lights.

the whole purpose of those aftermarket bulbs is to imitate HIDs u cant see a thing with them due to the BLUE TINGE

ah well i like my hids and they only cost me 450
Old 07-24-2002, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by Unibomber

HID isnt a waste of my money...u tell me if u would rater see the road or PRETEND u have HIDs. You're a clown if u think HID isnt as good as regular lights.

the whole purpose of those aftermarket bulbs is to imitate HIDs u cant see a thing with them due to the BLUE TINGE

ah well i like my hids and they only cost me 450
where did u buy HID's and do u have any pix???
Old 07-13-2003, 04:19 AM

I had the same problem but its easily fixed..

I had the same problem but its easily fixed..

Play around with the 3 wires connecting your lights (cut them and reconnect to a different one.. there's an actual method, but I dont remember it). The lights do get brighter and they do get very white. I have the PIAA's, and I love em.. Trust me, if you cant figure it out, take the car to an electrician or a mechanic who knows anything about that and it'll be fixed.
Old 07-13-2003, 07:11 PM

Funny, I've had my PIAA xtreme white bulbs for almost a year without problems.

Although the 8500k HID kit is available at custommaxima
Old 07-20-2003, 08:35 PM
topdaytrader

check out http://www.motionr.com
They sell the best xenon bulb in the world

Old 07-20-2003, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by topdaytrader
check out http://www.motionr.com
They sell the best xenon bulb in the world
Kindof hard to believe the opinion of the person who sells them. What makes these the best xenon bulbs in the world?
Old 07-21-2003, 08:44 AM

Re: PIAA Xtreme White Plus bulbs problems!

That's really weird, your PIAA's looking like stock. Courtesy Nissan sold you them?? I thought they only sold Nissan OEM parts.

Anyway, best way to tell if you've got the "right" bulbs is to put one of each bulb (stock, PIAA) in place and see the comparison first-hand.

I have PIAA Xtreme Whites and I like them. Sylvania SilverStars are comparable and cheaper. Although definitely brighter than halogen, the coverage is only marginally better on '95-96 beam patterns. You're paying for that pure white look, really.

Aftermarket HID is nice, but pricey and risky. I've heard of many problems using them... cracked lenses, bulb failure, etc. And most of them don't even have high beams.

All you need to do is put on your driving lights when the roadway is dark--there's plenty of coverage with those on along with your main headlights.