4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

car shakes at idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 09:15 PM

car shakes at idle

ok recently my car will just start shaking at idle..and i have a real bad case of slow acceleration when i do..and the muffler makes a gross sound and kinda sounds like its burping as i hit the gas and theres a gross gun powder smell..i dont exactly know the problem just wanted to see if anyone had any idea...it really bugs me and i know its not a good thing at all
Old 05-04-2003, 09:27 PM

you have a bad catalytic converter
Old 05-04-2003, 09:29 PM
Dev

check your spark plugs and coils
sounds like misfiring
Old 05-04-2003, 09:47 PM

rotten egg smell is sulfur, the catalyst is dead, and the farting sound/plugged up feel is most likely a rock of catalyst plugging up the pipe after the cat, it IS possible that a chunk can make its way into your muffler. get under the car and hit the cat with your hand (wait til car is cold!!!!) and see if you hear rattling inside
Old 05-05-2003, 04:34 AM
be the change u want2C

It could be a sensor, Try lowering the octane you use
Old 05-05-2003, 05:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

shaking at idle

does lowering the octane help this or increasing it? I have an engine light that has come on (the MIL) light and I wonder if this is because I am using too high of an octane. They said the O2 sensor is faulty, reset the light, it came on again. The car idles at about 500-600 rpm sometime if it is in gear and I am stopped at a light. (it is an automatic) Other times it is around 750 where I think it is normal. Any ideas or suggestions? thanks

Originally posted by Ni_Nos_Maxima
It could be a sensor, Try lowering the octane you use
Old 05-05-2003, 06:03 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: shaking at idle

Originally posted by jtowarn
does lowering the octane help this or increasing it?
Use the correct octane rating for your car, 91 or higher.

I have an engine light that has come on...
They said the O2 sensor is faulty, reset the light, it came on again.
Replace the faulty o2 sensor, clear the error from your ECU and see how the car runs. If you still have the shake you may have a bad spark plug, clogged fuel injector or weak cylinder.

How many miles are on your car and when is the last time a major tune up was done?
Old 05-05-2003, 06:50 AM

well i never thought if i had a bad catalytic converter but yeah when im at idle my rpms are almost at 1000 its right under it i guess a 950 or 900 but they wont move hardly if gas is given..ill check my cat and im up for a routine tune up soon...i just had a major tune up from a nissan dealership that was like 200 bucks but was covered over a warranty...but other than that..how much would a new cat cost? and if anyone has anyother ideas..could i need a new exhaust system all together??
Old 05-05-2003, 08:21 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I agree with the misfiring. Check the plugs and coil packs. Front o2 sensors can also do it. Make sure the fuel filter is good. If you are misfiring and running rich, ultimately your cat will go down too.

Lately, I have been having a strange intermittent problem with misfiring. Only happens after I start the car after it was driven a lot (ie. warmed up and hot). Because my Greddy is loud, I definitely hear it sputtering rather than the low purring that it does normally. Power is lost big time. I got an ECU code that said Cylinder #4 misfire so I switched coil packs with Cylinder #2 and am waiting to see if it starts misfiring again. My plugs all look good. I also ordered a pair of front O2 sensors--no CEL, but they have 90k miles on them. I also checked for manifold/intake leaks but could fine none.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:38 AM

I agree with misfiring as well. Also, check PCV valve. If this valve is clogged or sticking, you may see some of those conditions. It is a $4.00 part, and easy to change (worth it even if it is NOT the main cause).
Old 05-05-2003, 09:58 AM

still think its funny how people only take one or two bits of information out of a paragraph. he HAS A BAD CATALYTIC CONVERTER that will cause the pipe to plug up, causing unstable idle and an inability to rev, a rotten egg smell, and o2 sensor codes. i'd totally bet on this one, seriously.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:30 AM

What you need to do, is clean your tb, and put in a new o2 sensor. THE BEST WAY to tell if you have a shot o2 sensor, is to check your gas milage....if you got a bad sensor, you will be gettin 15mpg like i was
Old 05-05-2003, 10:31 AM

I had a rough idle, poor acceleration and the muffler burped during acceleration. It turned out to be a dead fuel injector.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: shaking at idle

I just bought the car 2 months ago. It has only 64,000 KM on it (about what is that 40,000 miles or so I guess).. I mean the car runs amazing.. I get great gas millage. it is just occasionaly I notice it is idling rough while stopped at a light like around 500 rpm when I look at the tach (if I throw it in neutral it is fine)it goes up to 750 in neutral, but most times it is idling ok even at a stop light. I figured out how to reset the thing thanks to this site, and get the engine code and everything. I reset it.. if it comes on a third time I will replace the sensor. btw where the heck are the spark plugs on this thing???

My last car was a 1979 350 olds (I still have it and it runs like a swiss watch) I have done everythign up to replacing cam shafts in that, but this maxima is mighty scary to me, compared to that. I ca'nt even find the spark plugs!

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

Use the correct octane rating for your car, 91 or higher.

Replace the faulty o2 sensor, clear the error from your ECU and see how the car runs. If you still have the shake you may have a bad spark plug, clogged fuel injector or weak cylinder.

How many miles are on your car and when is the last time a major tune up was done?
Old 05-05-2003, 07:46 PM
KDLMax

What about a car vibrating when you go over 65 mph and gets worst as you go faster? Tires are well balanced so that's out of the question. However how about having 5 new spark plugs and one old? Could that course it to shake. Or how about a bad calibar? Anyone know what could cause this?

Old 05-05-2003, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by Kandee
What about a car vibrating when you go over 65 mph and gets worst as you go faster? Tires are well balanced so that's out of the question. However how about having 5 new spark plugs and one old? Could that course it to shake. Or how about a bad calibar? Anyone know what could cause this?
Get your wheels alignedm that should fix the problem.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:17 PM
KDLMax

Originally posted by 96SE5Spd

Get your wheels alignedm that should fix the problem.
That was done about 3 weeks ago! The shaking began doing this about yesterday. Again only after I changed 5 new sparg plugs but somethingt came up and so I didn't get the change the last one. So I have 5 new ones and one old. Also one of my calibars is screwed up. So I'm installing a new one whn I get the chance. But I'm wondering if any this could cause the vibrating. I'm leaning towards the spark plugs.

Old 05-05-2003, 10:18 PM

Re: car shakes at idle

Originally posted by MistaPeerez
ok recently my car will just start shaking at idle..
All by itself? I had to teach my dog that trick!

It could be many things. Unburned fuel stinks after passing through a cat. Could a misfire, due to a plug or coil pack, but more likely, it is running way too rich at idle due to a bad Ox sensor.

Is your tailpipe sooty? Stick your finger up it. If your finger comes out brown, you got the wrong tailpipe.

If it is loaded with heavy black soot, it is running too rich, just like a stuck choke on a carbed engine, which also causes a rough idle.
Old 07-19-2022, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by fierostetz
still think its funny how people only take one or two bits of information out of a paragraph. he HAS A BAD CATALYTIC CONVERTER that will cause the pipe to plug up, causing unstable idle and an inability to rev, a rotten egg smell, and o2 sensor codes. i'd totally bet on this one, seriously.
I’ve got the same issue but also have to:
crank once
crank twice and press gas
crank third and rev 2.5-3k rpm to start car

is it cat plus something?
Old 07-19-2022, 11:08 PM

Expecting an answer from a thread that will have its 20 year anniversary in a few months?

Who pays attention to details anymore?
Old 04-04-2023, 06:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by KP11520
Expecting an answer from a thread that will have its 20 year anniversary in a few months?

Who pays attention to details anymore?
I do. This is an old forum but the new comments are helping me to diagnose my cars troubles. Most of the help I get from these forums come from newer comments on much older posts. Please don't discourage anyone from adding their experiences and new information to really old posts. They have saved me so much time and money. Knowledge is priceless especially when it is gained from first hand experiences.
Old 07-20-2023, 10:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bende aynı sorunu yaşadım , tamircime gittim , buji ve bobinleri tamamını kontrol ettik , buji takım olarak değiştirdik ve bobinlerden bir tanesini değiştirdik , düzeldi . Bobin sensörlerini teker teker kontrol edin . Bobin sensörünü söküp bakın , söktükten sonra rölanti değişiyorsa o bobin sağlamdır , bobin sensörünü söktüğünüzde rölanti değişmiyorsa o bobin arızalıdır .
geçmiş olsun .
Old 07-20-2023, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by FK273
Bende aynı sorunu yaşadım , tamircime gittim , buji ve bobinleri tamamını kontrol ettik , buji takım olarak değiştirdik ve bobinlerden bir tanesini değiştirdik , düzeldi . Bobin sensörlerini teker teker kontrol edin . Bobin sensörünü söküp bakın , söktükten sonra rölanti değişiyorsa o bobin sağlamdır , bobin sensörünü söktüğünüzde rölanti değişmiyorsa o bobin arızalıdır .
geçmiş olsun .
Bu web sitesi/forum İngilizce'dir. Tartışmalara katılmanızı tavsiye ederim, ancak lütfen yayınlamadan önce İngilizceye çevirin.
This website/forum is in English. I encourage you participate in the discussions, but please translate to English before posting.

Your post translates as follows:I had the same problem , I went to my mechanic , we checked all the spark plugs and coils , we changed the spark plug as a set and changed one of the coils , it was fixed . Check the coil sensors one by one . Remove the coil sensor and see , if the idle speed changes after removing it , that coil is intact , if the idle speed does not change when you remove the coil sensor , that coil is defective .
Old 07-20-2023, 05:09 PM
JvG

This is whu old posts can still be useful.

Also why new members who write in foreign languages can be very helpful. His information is right on.