4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Just finished wrapping my y-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 02:30 PM

Just finished wrapping my y-pipe

My y-pipe has been making my car sound like a old VW Beetle for the past couple of months. I wrapped the y-pipe with 2 inch header wrap and the noise is gone! I followed the instructions on www.motorvate.ca and they were very helpful and easy to follow. I recommend this fix to anybody with a noisy y-pipe.
Old 05-02-2003, 03:01 PM

just make sure you wrap it tight and have lots of hose clamps on that sucker!
Old 05-02-2003, 04:29 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I just installed my Warpspeed aluminized steel y-pipe recently, and hope this doesn't happen to me. Is your y-pipe the same, or do you have one of their stainless steel pipes?
Old 05-02-2003, 04:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've debated on doing this for a while. Now, I have a better reason to wrap the Y-pipe.
Old 05-02-2003, 05:22 PM

i've heard that wrapping the y pipe can cause premature failure of the exhaust due to the high temperatures? can anyone elaborate on this ?
Old 05-02-2003, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by bhmax
I just installed my Warpspeed aluminized steel y-pipe recently, and hope this doesn't happen to me. Is your y-pipe the same, or do you have one of their stainless steel pipes?
dude i have the same pipe as you and ive had it on since last May(about a year) I dont have any noises ...i dont think youll have a problem. I have never heard of someone having noise issues with warpspeed pipes
Old 05-02-2003, 06:33 PM

how will it hold up to moisture? over time?
Old 05-02-2003, 06:41 PM

My WSP Pipe is extremely loud....

Well, that was until I wrapped it last summer....It's fine on there.

And I live in Seattle - land of moisture!!!
Old 05-02-2003, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by iansw
My WSP Pipe is extremely loud....

Well, that was until I wrapped it last summer....It's fine on there.

And I live in Seattle - land of moisture!!!
let me know how it holds up as time goes by. I live in CA so no salt issues here but it does get alot of rain sometimes. I want to wrap my whole exhaust but I keep hearing how wraps lessen the life of the exhaust.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:30 PM

I was actually going to wrap mine today, but ran out of time. I will probably do it on Sunday. I have a SS Warpspeed y-pipe with the VW Beetle sound too, the sound is more evident when the car is cold, not as annoying when it is warmed up. I was told that these new WSP y-pipes did not have this problem. I am still very happy with the performance part of the pipe though. I'll see how it goes.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:55 PM

Originally posted by Nismo

let me know how it holds up as time goes by. I live in CA so no salt issues here but it does get alot of rain sometimes. I want to wrap my whole exhaust but I keep hearing how wraps lessen the life of the exhaust.
No salt here either...the hippies won't let the DOT use it...

besides, it only snows here maybe 1-2"/year.
Old 05-02-2003, 10:21 PM

Wrapping the y-pipe should help you pass smog checks for those of you in California and other emissions sniffing states. It will help retain heat in the exhaust system, helping to keep the catalytic converter hot enough to do it's job. Keeping the exhaust gasses warm is supposed to improve exhaust scavenging by keeping up exhaust flow velocity.

-V
Old 05-02-2003, 10:50 PM

for those of you wrap your y pipe, how long of that wraping stuff did u use??
Old 05-02-2003, 10:58 PM

I used like 40 feet of DEI Exhaust Wrap. I did a few wraps around each starting point. Used about 5 hose clamps, might put a few more on there since some sections look a little loose already.
Also, it's easier to wrap if you get the whole wrap a little damp before you start to wrap (tip from mtrai760)
It's like $45 at summitracing.com
The other 10 feet was used to partially wrap my B Pipe. Heh....
Old 05-02-2003, 11:30 PM

Originally posted by vmok
Wrapping the y-pipe should help you pass smog checks for those of you in California and other emissions sniffing states. It will help retain heat in the exhaust system, helping to keep the catalytic converter hot enough to do it's job. Keeping the exhaust gasses warm is supposed to improve exhaust scavenging by keeping up exhaust flow velocity.

-V
its not the smog im worried about. I hear about how wraps puts more stress on the welds due to the heat plus it holds moisture causing the metals to age or corrode faster even if its stainless steel. I might do my bpipe since its stock so I dont care about life on that and maybe part of the ypipe
Old 05-02-2003, 11:47 PM

Originally posted by vmok
Keeping the exhaust gasses warm is supposed to improve exhaust scavenging by keeping up exhaust flow velocity.

-V
the hotter your charge the more volatile and the lighter it gets. this directly correlates with exhaust flow because it takes less force (energy) to push the lighter gas charge through your pipe system. (F=ma) however there are other variables. but as a simple principle there you have it.
Old 05-02-2003, 11:50 PM

to help against the moisture retaining problems, you think that if we wrap the pipes with aluminum foil then wrap the wrap over it, can help increase exhaust life? I think I might try this
Old 05-03-2003, 04:55 AM

You shouldn't have any problems wrapping a Stainless Steel pipe even if it does get wet, thats why you bought SS in the first place, it does not rust.
Old 05-03-2003, 11:17 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

I've had my wrap on for over 3 years on my Stillen unit... no problems yet.

Only drawback is on rainy days... you can smell the damp wrapping "baking".
Old 05-04-2003, 10:36 PM

Well, I wrapped my y-pipe earlier today and I am happy with the results. I only wrapped the flex section and about a couple of inches past it on either side. When I start going from a dead stop, the annoying noise is greatly reduced, and I can now hear the slight rumble from the rest of my stock exhaust, this was previously masked by the crickets. I hear a slight sound at higher RMP's, I will probably wrap the whole thing next weekend. I highly recommend this if you have the old VW Beetle/cricket sound.
Old 05-05-2003, 12:43 AM

Im planning on wrapping the entire exhaust soon-ypipe,bpipe all the way to the muffler(except cat), how many feet do you all thing I need? im probably going to be using 2 inch thick wrap but need to know how long? btw whats the cheapest, best place to buy wrap?
Old 05-05-2003, 05:41 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Just finished wrapping my y-pipe

Originally posted by heems27
My y-pipe has been making my car sound like a old VW Beetle for the past couple of months. I wrapped the y-pipe with 2 inch header wrap and the noise is gone! I followed the instructions on www.motorvate.ca and they were very helpful and easy to follow. I recommend this fix to anybody with a noisy y-pipe.
Did you have to remove the y-pipe to wrap it or could you just jack the car up and wrap it from underneath? I don't want to mess with those darn cat bolts if I don't have to.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:51 AM

you probably could do it without removing the Y, but it'd be quite a pain to run 20-30 feet of wrap around the top every rotation...
Old 05-11-2003, 08:33 PM

We don't suggest wrapping header wrap on a flex section because it retains moisture and heat but it should not be a big problem, they are afterall stainless steel. If you have a noisy Y pipe it is usually a mis-applied gasket or occasionally the fibre gasket will burn out if not tightened correctly and it will get loud. I have not seen an actual leak in over 2 years. So far I have yet to hear one we have installed which is louder than stock but we did have someone come in with a burned out gasket once.

We just installed one of our new equal length Y pipes on our 96SE and it was real quiet. We are now running an equal length Y pipe, MS cat, 2-1/2" B pipe w/res and a Magnaflow double wall tip street series muffler. After we get some miles on it we'll be dynoing to see how it compares. If we like the results we will probably offer them only for the 4th gens. We realize Stillen did one but they used thin tubing, their 2-1/4" collector and it was basically a crappy design. We'll be posting some photo's on our website after the dyno's.

regards
Dallas