4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Question for those with adjustable STS

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 01:35 PM
Sin

Question for those with adjustable STS

I have an SMC STS, and am going to install it soon. My biggest concern is added wear on the syncros and notchiness. As such, I'm thinking about adjusting the shifter to about 30-40% short, as opposed to the 50% that most use.

If you have an adjustable STS, please give your experience and recommendation for how short you would go if you were going to install it now.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:40 PM

I have driven SonicDust187's car on several occasions, and he has a Pacesetter STS set at 50%...although i like the short throw that it offers, the notchiness is a little overbearing, and i am convinced that i should not change out from my stock shifter. My stock shifting is SOOOOO smooth, that i just don't want to give it up. i have instead decided to merely cut my stock shifter an inch or two, to get a shorter feel (i know, the throws won't be shortened, the rod will just be shorter, but it will still feel nice while keeping stock smoothness.)
in my opinion, if you are gunna put that sts on, i would set it where you are thinkin of, sounds like a plan! I have also heard that if you shave the ball of the rod down a little bit, it will make the shifting of the sts much smoother, and less notchy.
hope i was of help!!!(i do try, at least)
-Kyle
Old 04-21-2003, 01:53 PM
mb1

I've had my pacesetter for almost a year, at what I think is the shortest setting. While I love the feel, recently downshifting into 3rd is all but impossible. Otherwise no problems.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by mb1
I've had my pacesetter for almost a year, at what I think is the shortest setting. While I love the feel, recently downshifting into 3rd is all but impossible. Otherwise no problems.
Are you using oem tranny fluid? I've found using Red Line to make shifts much smoother. What do you think the problem with downshifting into 3rd might be?
Old 04-21-2003, 02:00 PM
Banned

i just order a pacesettler shifter 2 day but i got red line gear oil
Old 04-21-2003, 02:06 PM

When installing the STS, do you need to torch the 2 bolts which hold the ypipe and cat together? Mine look pretty rusted and might need to go to a shop and get it tourched out but I am installing the STS myself, any suggestions guys?

Thanks...
Old 04-21-2003, 02:24 PM
Sin

I am running AMSOIL Series 2000 75w-90, which made shifting SOOOOO smooth. I have no notchiness to speak of with the stock shifter. It's just that after driving even crappy Civics, I would like to have a shorter shift.

I hope at 30-40% shorter, it won't be too bad.
Old 04-21-2003, 02:47 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by JerzMax
When installing the STS, do you need to torch the 2 bolts which hold the ypipe and cat together? Mine look pretty rusted and might need to go to a shop and get it tourched out but I am installing the STS myself, any suggestions guys?

Thanks...
if those two bolts dont come off, you can try taking off the two bolts AFTER the cat, that will mean the cat and ypipe will hang down together, but it should still give you room to install the shifter.
Old 04-21-2003, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by spiff56747
if those two bolts dont come off, you can try taking off the two bolts AFTER the cat, that will mean the cat and ypipe will hang down together, but it should still give you room to install the shifter.
Both the bolts before and after the cat are a bear to remove intact. You might be better off grinding them off or asking a shop to do it for you and just replacing the bolts.

If you are installing SMC or pacesetter, I don't recommend the lowest/shortest setting with the ball covering the top threads. Do half way between that and stock.
Old 04-21-2003, 04:39 PM
Sin

Originally posted by Mishmosh

Both the bolts before and after the cat are a bear to remove intact. You might be better off grinding them off or asking a shop to do it for you and just replacing the bolts.

If you are installing SMC or pacesetter, I don't recommend the lowest/shortest setting with the ball covering the top threads. Do half way between that and stock.
Do you have an STS? Which one? What is the ball set at?
Old 04-21-2003, 04:41 PM
mb1

Originally posted by StygianMax

Are you using oem tranny fluid? I've found using Red Line to make shifts much smoother. What do you think the problem with downshifting into 3rd might be?

I've been using redline fluid since before the STS.

To everyone that says you have to revove the cat bolts, I installed my STS with out removing anything but the heatshield.
Old 04-21-2003, 04:50 PM
Sin

Originally posted by mb1

I've been using redline fluid since before the STS.

To everyone that says you have to revove the cat bolts, I installed my STS with out removing anything but the heatshield.
Please do tell how you did this.
Old 04-21-2003, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by Sin
Do you have an STS? Which one? What is the ball set at?
I have the pacesetter. The ball is covering the threads at the top so it's about the shortest setting... the shifter is notchy, especially 1st/2nd/5th. What you time you save in having a shorter throw is negated by the extra effort and time it takes to shift. I have redline. The only thing stopping me from redoing the shifter at a more conservative setting is the fact that the cat bolts were a bear to remove and the shifter bolts were likewise rusty. I still might do it later this summer though.

MB1, I am surprised you had enough room in there to get at all the bolts. I will have to try that next time as I removed the heatshield to accomodate the shorter throw.
Old 04-21-2003, 04:58 PM
Sin

I'm thinking I might be able too. I've got a Brullen y and cat, which take up considerably less space then the stockers do. I'll have to try it when I do this. I freakin can't wait. Damn exams
Old 04-21-2003, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by spiff56747

When I installed my pacesetter sts, i didnt take anything off other than the heatshield above the piping. I just took the heatshield off and that gave me enough room to install the sts. I even did it without lifting the car up because my brother's friend was borrowing the jack-my cars not dropped.
Old 04-21-2003, 05:15 PM
Sin

Originally posted by NismoVQ

When I installed my pacesetter sts, i didnt take anything off other than the heatshield above the piping. I just took the heatshield off and that gave me enough room to install the sts. I even did it without lifting the car up because my brother's friend was borrowing the jack-my cars not dropped.
Wow! You must be a smaller guy then I am. I don't think I could do this job without jacking up the car a bit.

BTW, what is your STS set at? How do you like it? Any problems? Would you change it, and if so, how?
Old 04-21-2003, 05:32 PM
mb1

Originally posted by Sin

Please do tell how you did this.
there's really nothing to tell. take off the heatshield, and work around the cat. It's a PITA but it's very doable.
Old 04-21-2003, 05:41 PM
Sin

Originally posted by mb1

there's really nothing to tell. take off the heatshield, and work around the cat. It's a PITA but it's very doable.
Did you have a stock y/cat when you were doing it? Was it made possible by having aftermarket equipment?
Old 04-21-2003, 06:17 PM

My car has stock piping. I have my pacesetter halfway and i think its great. I also cut the shifter a little because I wanted the height a little shorter. I cut it right below the threaded section where the shift **** screws on. I have a momo shift **** and it has 3 screws to keep it in place on the shifter.
I left the heatshield off because mine was scraping against it.. you could dent the heatshield a little to keep it from scaping, but since I dont have my jack right now, i was too lazy to put it back on.
Old 04-21-2003, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by mb1

I'd rather not remove the cat, I'll have to try this. I've had the Pacesetter (SMC) STS in box since last May I think I'll install it this year...
Old 10-02-2003, 05:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You can change out the shifter without removing the cat bolts. I had the assistance of a lift, but it's doable... no question. Just be patient with it and don't cut yourself. Stay diligent. Good luck.... I just set mine at about 85% and we'll see how that goes. I need some Redline it sounds. Peace.