4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

~Major Problems w/ SS Brakelines

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2001, 06:47 PM

- I installed the Stillen/Goodridge SS brake lines on my '96 Max. My friend also installed another company's lines on his '96 Miata. He noticed an immediate improvement in brake feel. Unfortunately, my brakes felt squishy, the catch point moved further down from their stock position, and overall, they just didn't feel right.
- I don't think that the brake booster was damaged, but what's up with this? Does anyone else with the SS lines have the same problem?
- *** Also, the front lines are rubbing at full lock. Is there any way to correct this?***
- I am really perturbed about this purchase. What happened? Did Stillen just send me the wrong lines!?

- Matt
Old 01-16-2001, 07:02 PM

are you sure you got all the air out? even from the rears? If you didn't bleed the rears, do the passenger rear first, driver rear second, passenger front then driver front last.
Old 01-16-2001, 07:11 PM

well I had some of your problems

I bought some stainless steel lines in the summer. I had some problems during the install. I felt they were too short. I ended putting two of my original brake lines back on. Frankly, I was not impressed with the brake lines. My brakes were really spongy. I had to bleed my brakes about 20 times before I felt they were good enough. I think you have to bleed it some more.
good luck
Old 01-16-2001, 07:16 PM

Bleeding...

- Hey Guys, thanks for the fast replies. I did bleed the brakes. Once during the installation by myself. Then, when I wasn't happy with them, I had the dealer do it. No difference whatsoever.
- Do you think that they are just a larger diameter, requiring more pedal to begin working? What about the fact that they are sold with the Big Brake Kits - perhaps they only work well when combined with larger brakes?
- You mentioned that your lines were too short? Mine seem to be too long - they're rubbing at full lock. Do you think we should call our friendly Stillen associates?
Old 01-16-2001, 07:22 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

If you put the SS lines next to the stock. They should be the same exact length. If not, you got the wrong ones. Stillen is not perfect. The sent me wrong a belt for my UDP before. I bet a coke you got the wrong lines.

Originally posted by SleeperSE
- I installed the Stillen/Goodridge SS brake lines on my '96 Max. My friend also installed another company's lines on his '96 Miata. He noticed an immediate improvement in brake feel. Unfortunately, my brakes felt squishy, the catch point moved further down from their stock position, and overall, they just didn't feel right.
- I don't think that the brake booster was damaged, but what's up with this? Does anyone else with the SS lines have the same problem?
- *** Also, the front lines are rubbing at full lock. Is there any way to correct this?***
- I am really perturbed about this purchase. What happened? Did Stillen just send me the wrong lines!?

- Matt
Old 01-16-2001, 07:27 PM
Disco Biscuit

I had no probs with mine, and they do make a nice difference

One question. did you put new pads on at the same time. I did, and for about 2 days my brakes felt like crap. wouldn't stop for anything. After they set in, it would through you through the windshield...
Old 01-16-2001, 07:48 PM

I have ALWAYS used the two person approach to bleeding brake lines. I don't really know how to go about doing it alone.
Old 01-16-2001, 09:28 PM

well

check that the brake lines are a direct fit.They should be. I was simply saying in my original post that I felt that the ss brake lines should have been a bit longer even though they are a exact fit as the oem. I personally felt they should have been about 3inches longer to give it more flexability. But I don't even feel they are a great advantage over stock. But this is only my opinion.
You will have to bleed the brakes some more to get rid of the spongy feeling.I don't know how throughly your dealer did it.
Or check to see that you are not leaking brake fluid anywhere on your new lines. If there is a small hole where brake fluid is coming out. You will still be spongy.
But bleed throughly with some one aiding you,unless you have speed bleeders.
P.S no speeding till you get this fixed properly.
Hang in there. I was working on my delima for 2 weeks.

Old 02-15-2001, 09:51 PM

That's not good to hear

I just got my brakelines from the Avalon Racing deal. On the box, it has a sticker that says "221133 96-98 I30-All Models" I take it this should work for my 97 Maxima. I'm worried if I install this myself, I might lose braking power like some of you that have done this mod. Maybe I'll wait for my pads to wear and have a professional upgrade those at the same time. I've gone 50K on the stock pads and go easy on them, how much longer do you think they'll last?
Old 02-16-2001, 06:53 AM
The missing moderator

Guys... SS brake lines is not going to help you brake better... it will help with peddle feel. If your brakes are spongy... you have air in the system. Or the master cylnder is busted....

The advantage of ss lines is this: under extreme conditions, when your DOT4+ brake fluid is beyond boiling point of regular DOT 3s, the rubber hose will get heated and expand underpressuer... so instead of the pressure going to the brake calipers, it's wasting it's energy expanding the hose.

-Shing
Old 02-16-2001, 10:22 AM

More "pedal"?

Originally posted by SleeperSE
... Do you think that they are just a larger diameter, requiring more pedal to begin working? ...
The amount of "pedal" needed to work the brakes has nothing to do with the diameter or length of the brake lines. It is determined by the internal physical dimensions of the master cylinder and wheel cylinders.
Old 02-16-2001, 10:56 AM
MaxSterling

What about the master cylinder?

You stated that you bled the brakes yourself the first time and then had the dealer do it. You didnt by chance have a bleeder open at the same time as you had the master cylinder open did you? Or by chance the master cylinder open while a "helper" was pumping the pedal? Or did you happen to let the master cylinder run dry while bleeding? What I am trying to rule out is the possibility of air entering the master cylinder. If by chance any of this happened, the master cylinder will have to be "bench bled" as this is the only way to remove air from the master cylinder. Whichever the case may be it does sound like there is air somewhere in the system.
Hope this helps.