4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Easiest oil change ever....

Old 03-10-2003, 06:08 AM
Jedi Knight

Easiest oil change ever....

so I changed the oil in my 4th gen for the first time ever and wow...it doesn't get any easier than that....with the filter and the drain plug in the same area...I didn't have to go stretch over the hood like I did in the 3rd gen...Nissan definately made an imporvement that I totally approve of...
Old 03-10-2003, 08:07 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Easiest oil change ever....

Originally posted by nupe500
so I changed the oil in my 4th gen for the first time ever and wow...it doesn't get any easier than that....with the filter and the drain plug in the same area...I didn't have to go stretch over the hood like I did in the 3rd gen...Nissan definately made an imporvement that I totally approve of...
you won't be praising their design when you go to change the fuel filter..
Old 03-10-2003, 08:13 AM

Re: Easiest oil change ever....

the VE is the same and actually makes less of a mess than the VQ. Yeah the fuel filter on the VQ is a pain in A**. Good luck.
Old 03-10-2003, 08:14 AM
^ Jeff™

Re: Re: Easiest oil change ever....

Originally posted by ORBRIT
you won't be praising their design when you go to change the fuel filter..

It's incredibly easy to change the oil...you don't even need to jack the car up.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: Easiest oil change ever....

Originally posted by MrEous

It's incredibly easy to change the oil...you don't even need to jack the car up.

Mmmmmmm
How do you change Oil yourself?
First timer....need guidance.

Thanks

BP
Old 03-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Jedi Knight

Re: Re: Re: Re: Easiest oil change ever....

Originally posted by bunkpunk

Mmmmmmm
How do you change Oil yourself?
First timer....need guidance.

Thanks

BP
1) either jack your car up or get underneath it...

2) find the drain plug and filter right by the passenger wheel

3) get 14mm wrench/socket and remove drain plug...(hopefully you have a proper "oil catching bucket" or you'll be wearing the oil)

4) replace drain plug after oil finishes draining...then remove oil filter. (remove the plastic shield first through wheel well)

5) replace oil filter, pop hood remove oil cap, and refill oil. (4 quarts...get some good ****) I use Mobil 1.

Congrats...you just changed your oil.

or you could just go to Jiffy lube/Midas and pay $21 for a "quick lube"
Old 03-10-2003, 11:07 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Easiest oil change ever....

3) get 14mm wrench/socket and remove drain plug...(hopefully you have a proper "oil catching bucket" or you'll be wearing the oil)

4) replace drain plug after oil finishes draining...then remove oil filter. (remove the plastic shield first through wheel well)

5) replace oil filter, pop hood remove oil cap, and refill oil. (4 quarts...get some good ****) I use Mobil 1.

when u drain ur oil you should take off the oil filler top, so more of the old oil will drain out
Old 03-10-2003, 02:40 PM

To change the oil and filter you don't even have to jack the car up
or get under it. Here's the drill:

Turn steering wheel all the way to the right. Go to the right
wheel well and remove three screws that hold on the plastic
panel in front of the lower part of the engine. You can leave
on the 4th screw that is on the far left. Bend the plastic
panel towards the tire and hold with a cord or something.
The oil filter and drain plug are right there in front of you.
Just place a shallow container under the drain and filter and
go to it.
Old 03-10-2003, 05:54 PM

- Don't forget to prep the oil filter when changing your oil. To do this, pour oil in the filter until it reaches the top, then let it slowly soak in. This will prevent a "dry start."
- Also, be sure to use your finger and spread some oil around the rubber gasket on the oil filter - this allows the rubber to seal better on the block.

- A lot of people praise Mobil 1, but I am personally not a big fan of synthetic oil. While changing my (synthetic) oil after 3,000 miles, I noticed that the oil was still pretty clean. That didn't seem right to me, so I decided to use conventional oil for that change and check it after 2500 miles. Sure enough, the conventional was filthy, just as I expected. This lead me to believe that the synthetic I was using was not carrying around the deposits like the conventional oil was.
- Synthetic may lubricate better for high-rpm applications (I don't consider 6600rpm to be extraordinarily high), but I can't vouch for its ability to carry deposits out with it when you change the oil. I've used conventional ever since.
Old 03-11-2003, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by SleeperSE
[B
- A lot of people praise Mobil 1, but I am personally not a big fan of synthetic oil. While changing my (synthetic) oil after 3,000 miles, I noticed that the oil was still pretty clean. That didn't seem right to me, so I decided to use conventional oil for that change and check it after 2500 miles. Sure enough, the conventional was filthy, just as I expected. This lead me to believe that the synthetic I was using was not carrying around the deposits like the conventional oil was.
- Synthetic may lubricate better for high-rpm applications (I don't consider 6600rpm to be extraordinarily high), but I can't vouch for its ability to carry deposits out with it when you change the oil. I've used conventional ever since. [/B]
I would ask yourself why the oil turns dark. Cleaning out deposits isn't the only reason. High temperatures can cause the oil to darken, as can blowby from combustion. Since there are more additives in a synthetic (in your case Mobil 1) that oil will be able to stay cleaner longer using just the naked eye. Basing your decision of whether or not synthetic is better than conventional based on the rate of color change isn't really a good benchmark to use.
Old 03-11-2003, 02:44 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Easiest oil change ever....

www.motorvate.ca
Old 03-11-2003, 07:03 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SleeperSE
- Synthetic may lubricate better for high-rpm applications (I don't consider 6600rpm to be extraordinarily high), but I can't vouch for its ability to carry deposits out with it when you change the oil. I've used conventional ever since.
Where do you think the deposits come from? If it's lubricated well then the metal does not breakdown causing the deposits, hence the cleaner oil after 3000.

If you use synthetic oil and change it every 5000-6000 miles instead of 3000, you will have fewer startups without oil being circulated. Another benefit of using synthetic.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:28 PM
lefty

Make sure when you take off your old filter that the rubber gasket comes off with it. If you try to put on a new filter with the old rubber gasket still on the car that would equal new oil streaks on your driveway.