4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

H&R? Tokico? GR2?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 01:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

H&R? Tokico? GR2?

I am planning to lower my "new" 97 soon. Right now, I have the H&R springs, and the two front Tokico struts. I was planning on taking out the rear GR2's from my 96 and putting them on the 97 (returning the 96 back to stock), so I would have H&R's all around, Tokicos in front, and GR2's in back. I got confirmation from a few members that this would be good (even better than all 4 Tokicos). Anyways, has anyone ever actually done this? I am going for as smooth of a ride as possible. What are your experiences with this? I also want feedback from people with only H&R/Tokicos or H&R/GR2's. I hope this made sense... but please help me out... thanks!
Old 03-10-2003, 02:40 PM

I've had H&R/ Tokico combo for about 40k miles, and am very happy with it. not too harsh. great for everyday driving. handles good when pushed hard.
good luck with your decision.
Old 03-10-2003, 03:22 PM

I've tried the follow setups:
H&R/Tokico
H&R/AGX
H&R/Koni with the Motivational rear mounts.

I'm most happy with Koni's and Motivational Engineering mounts. On the downside:
Koni's are pretty pricey
Tokico HP rears don't control the ride enough
AGX's are too bouncy, sensitive to road imperfections, and adjustablitly is too narrow a range (you have pretty stiff to very stiff)

I suggest you use your GR-2's in the rear of your 97 if you're planning on returning your 96 to stock. If you do need new rear shocks, I'd suggest the Tokico Illuminas. They are adjustable and are great for just about every application...also Stillen has them for under $95, so you can probably get them for even less elsewhere. Be sure to get the ME Rear mounts...they are really really great.
Old 03-10-2003, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by Kevin Wong
Tokico HP rears don't control the ride enough
What do you mean by this? How would the ride feel with all 4 Tokico HP's? Why is a firmer strut needen in back?

Also, whether I install the H&R/Tokico or the H&R/Tokico/GR2, how will the ride be compared to stock? Close? How about compared to Maxspeed/GR2's?

Thanx for your help!
Old 03-10-2003, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by djshawnee

What do you mean by this? How would the ride feel with all 4 Tokico HP's? Why is a firmer strut needen in back?

Also, whether I install the H&R/Tokico or the H&R/Tokico/GR2, how will the ride be compared to stock? Close? How about compared to Maxspeed/GR2's?

Thanx for your help!
Well, the front Tokico's were fine with H&R spring. The rear however felt bouncier on the freeway and really didn't like going over railroad tracks. I guess, I felt that the rear flopped around too much on bumps. The AGX's, on the other hand, controlled the rear more (less bounce) but man...you'll feel much more bumps on the road. GR-2's are a little bit stiffer than stock shocks. Tokico HP's are softer than the GR-2's...so soft that people with Tokico/Eibach's complained after 10K miles, the rear's were already worn. But no matter what you do, get the Motivational Engineering rear mounts. From my experience, I wouldn't lower my Maxima without them.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by Kevin Wong

Well, the front Tokico's were fine with H&R spring. The rear however felt bouncier on the freeway and really didn't like going over railroad tracks. I guess, I felt that the rear flopped around too much on bumps. The AGX's, on the other hand, controlled the rear more (less bounce) but man...you'll feel much more bumps on the road. GR-2's are a little bit stiffer than stock shocks. Tokico HP's are softer than the GR-2's...so soft that people with Tokico/Eibach's complained after 10K miles, the rear's were already worn. But no matter what you do, get the Motivational Engineering rear mounts. From my experience, I wouldn't lower my Maxima without them.
So you are saying that the rear will be softer with Tokicos, but more comfortable with the stiffer GR2's? Also, will I get any problems from the Tokicos wearing out quickly with the H&R's?

Thanks a lot for your help thus far.
Old 03-11-2003, 05:58 AM

The tokico seem to have too much compression damping and not enough rebound giving them a harsh but floatly feeling with stronger springs
Old 03-11-2003, 09:28 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 95Max
The tokico seem to have too much compression damping and not enough rebound giving them a harsh but floatly feeling with stronger springs
And AGX are way more extreme than this. But to make a correction, H&R are no way near harsh. H&R are a thinner diameter, softer spring than most. I am disappointed they don't offer more advanced setups for the Maxima.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:08 PM

so GR2's in the back should be the final word? I am trying to keep costs down.... so I don't have enough for adjustables.... so its either Tokico HP's or KYB GR2's
Old 03-11-2003, 01:55 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

H&R's coupled with Toks' up front and GR2's with the Motivational mounts in the rear will be a sweet setup.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
H&R's coupled with Toks' up front and GR2's with the Motivational mounts in the rear will be a sweet setup.
but what about without motivational mounts? i only have enough money to get either tokicos or gr2's in the back, unless i can get a really good deal.... so i have to choose between those two

motivational mounts go for around $125, don't they?
Old 03-11-2003, 08:53 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by djshawnee

but what about without motivational mounts? i only have enough money to get either tokicos or gr2's in the back, unless i can get a really good deal.... so i have to choose between those two

motivational mounts go for around $125, don't they?
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=195987