4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

'transmission' issues...(long-ish)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 09:35 AM

'transmission' issues...(long-ish)

Hey guys,

I did a couple searches for stuff like this and foudn afew things but not exactly what I was looking for so I thought I'd give it a shot.

A few days ago the clutch pedal on my 96 SE 5-spd started to get really soft and the give at the beginning of the pedal went from the normal inch or so to about 3/4 of the entire arc of the pedal movement. Then, in the morning it was extremely tough to get it into gear. That night it was impossible to get into gear.

So I had it towed and the guy at the shop said it was my hydraulics and that they were leaking. So they replaced that and I was on my way.

However, driving off the lot the clutch pedal felt like it did right before everything went wrong - loose and very short at the end. i called the shop and they said that was normal and to drive it around to break all the new stuff in.

So this morning I got in my car and it wouldn't go into gear - in fact the clutch pedal would stick to the floor when I pressed it. So I let the car warm up to operating temperature (btw it's 60 degress here so it's not a cold issue) and then it was fine.

When I backed out of my spot there was a sizeable puddle under it of a brownish liquid that didn't look, feel or smell like motor oil so i'm wondering if my hydraulics are at it again.

The funny thing is that now my clutch feels completely back to normal. It's got good resistance and it goes through it's whole range of motion.

Anyway, I didn't know if anyone had any thoughts...sorry about the length and that some of this was a repeat of some earlier threads I found.

Thanks a lot,

BeachMax...
Old 02-26-2003, 10:10 AM

Stop driving on the beach???

Sorry had to......but in seriousness anytime there is a sizeable puddle of anything but water (even so not always normal) under your car it demands immediate attention. I'd be back wherever you got the hydraulic work done. Actually maybe I wouldn't?? Maybe they suck.
Old 02-26-2003, 10:29 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

What did the shop replace?

Clutch Master Cylinder?
Clutch Slave Cylinder?
Or the Hydraulic Line?

Obviously they didn't replace the part that was leaking.
Old 02-26-2003, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
What did the shop replace?

Clutch Master Cylinder?
Clutch Slave Cylinder?
Or the Hydraulic Line?

Obviously they didn't replace the part that was leaking.
The receipt says 'Clutch Operating Cylinder Pressure Hose Leaking. Replaced Clutch Operating Pressure Hose Assembly. Bleed System."

I went out a minute ago and there was nothing under my car (fluidwise) and I could get into every gear easily. The shop guy who worked on my car yesterday is out today so I haven't heard from the shop at all.

Just thought I'd update you.

BeachMax...

P.S. So you think i should give up driving on the beach? damn the man...