4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

have you clean EGR valve?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 05:42 PM

have you clean EGR valve?

does anybody had cleaned the EGR valve??? at nissan dealer the mechanic told me maybe the egr valve is dirty(carbon pieces) thats why my car pulls 0302 codes...like one time a week, or one tima by 2 weeks, and comes with ks code. As i told you guys before, never come back KS code alone, just with egr code 0302, or just egr code alone.

so i dont know if will work clean the egr with carburator cleaned. In the haynes manual says dont clean with degrease and other sustance, but i think with carb clean is ok....any suggestion???

do you thing that EGR can make a difference with poor miles?? bay tank?
Old 02-10-2003, 06:32 PM
Sin

Re: have you clean EGR valve?

Originally posted by sebaxx
does anybody had cleaned the EGR valve??? at nissan dealer the mechanic told me maybe the egr valve is dirty(carbon pieces) thats why my car pulls 0302 codes...like one time a week, or one tima by 2 weeks, and comes with ks code. As i told you guys before, never come back KS code alone, just with egr code 0302, or just egr code alone.

so i dont know if will work clean the egr with carburator cleaned. In the haynes manual says dont clean with degrease and other sustance, but i think with carb clean is ok....any suggestion???

do you thing that EGR can make a difference with poor miles?? bay tank?
Why don't you just buy a new one? A generic one that will fit and work just fine, is like $3 at CanTire, and like $5-6 at the dealership.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:48 PM

Re: Re: have you clean EGR valve?

Originally posted by Sin

Why don't you just buy a new one? A generic one that will fit and work just fine, is like $3 at CanTire, and like $5-6 at the dealership.
I can't imagine an EGR valve costing $3 Canadian. Wouldn't that be like $1.99 US or so? I have a feeling you are talking about the PCV valve being that price. PCV valves can be cleaned with carb cleaner or such, but they are so cheap that I always replace them.
As for the original question, I don't know if an EGR valve can be cleaned with carb cleaner safely or not. On an older vehicle I would say yes, but who knows what kind of coatings (corrosion resistance, etc...) Nissan put on these newer ones. Throttle body cleaner may be a little safer, and doesn't leave residues.
If you are sure your EGR valve is going out, you could check price and availability of a new one. Then if you can afford to take the risk (financially, car downtime, etc..), you could try cleaning the old one with throttle body cleaner. If it doesn't fix the problem, you're really not out anything because you needed to replace it anyways. If it works, you saved money. If you try it, keep us posted to the results!

Correction. If you have a Haynes manual, check page 6-20, paragraph 6. It can be cleaned if there are more than thin deposits. It says to use a solvent (I'd use throttle body cleaner) and let penetrate deposits, making sure to not get any on the diaphragm (made of rubber?). Carefully scrape deposits from the seat and poppet area with a tool (ouch! I'd try a rag first if the deposits have been loosened). Inspect the poppet and seat for wear, replace valve if there is any.
If you try this, keep us informed to the results, and anything to look out for. If you need a schematic, PM or email me.

Dave
Old 02-10-2003, 07:52 PM

Well I have been told my EGR valve is clogged.

Does anyone know of some sort of DYI for this? I don't think it is as simple as spraying Carb. Cleaner. Let me know.
Old 02-10-2003, 10:14 PM

I paid the dealership to have it done, can I say $250 bucks!! They cleaned out my entire intake system and replaced the valve. Whoever had my max before me used cheap gas and there was a ton of carbon. My car feels like it gained about 10 ponies now but $250. . . . Well it's only money, I guess.
Old 02-10-2003, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by sharkulator
I paid the dealership to have it done, can I say $250 bucks!! They cleaned out my entire intake system and replaced the valve. Whoever had my max before me used cheap gas and there was a ton of carbon. My car feels like it gained about 10 ponies now but $250. . . . Well it's only money, I guess.
DON"T SPRAY Carb with carb cleaner. The 1997 Owners manual states that there is a coating on intake parts to keep it from gumming up. Cleaners and gas additives can damage coating, causing future problems.
Old 02-11-2003, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by Bgohan

DON"T SPRAY Carb with carb cleaner. The 1997 Owners manual states that there is a coating on intake parts to keep it from gumming up. Cleaners and gas additives can damage coating, causing future problems.
does anybody spray the carb cleaner inside de EGR valve?? im planning to clean the the egr valve, but i dont know if theres a problem if i spray inside.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:52 PM
Sin

If there was a coating on the intakes that prevented build up, we wouldn't need to clean our intakes.

As long as you use the right cleaner, you can do no harm to your car, UNLESS, you don't change your oil out soon afterwards.
Old 02-11-2003, 02:35 PM
rcy

Re: Re: have you clean EGR valve?

Originally posted by Sin

Dude, you must be thinking of the PCV valve.
Old 02-11-2003, 06:27 PM

Re: Re: Re: have you clean EGR valve?

Originally posted by rcy

Dude, you must be thinking of the PCV valve.
well im just back after at last clean the EGR valve. Men, how hard was the f...g egr pipe...i was like 2 hours trying to remove it...with W40 it works later.
I take off the egr, and cleaned with carb. Cl, it was a little dirty, and then put it back. My car feels almost the same, i hope this save me more gas.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:43 PM

What all did you do and what did you remove to get to it?
Old 04-17-2003, 12:53 PM

where is the EGR valve located so i can clean it.. lately ive been cleaning anything in my car that is cleanable.. is there a pic if it that would be nice to see..