4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Question for the people who had problems with Sprint Springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Question for the people who had problems with Sprint Springs

did you have camber bolts?

come on now.. be honest..
Old 02-06-2003, 10:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What where the problems?
Old 02-06-2003, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by CoOlKidS1979
What where the problems?
busted axles..
Old 02-06-2003, 10:56 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

I don't have them, but Iansw did, and he had camber bolts as well...
Old 02-06-2003, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by mtrai760
well that dispells that theory
Old 02-06-2003, 11:38 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SprintMax
well that dispells that theory
[Edit:]

Theory being that sprints without camber adjustment = busted axles...
Old 02-06-2003, 11:45 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by mtrai760
NO WONDER
Old 02-06-2003, 11:47 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

busted axles..
Sprite man, please don't tell me you think the 1 or so degree extra that the spindle was on had anything to do with the Axel (CV) failures. Were talking a degree here if there off.

I know your smarter then that.
Old 02-06-2003, 12:05 PM
Administrator

my point was.. that people who did not have camber bolts with sprint springs maybe that was the cause of the axle failure... lowering a car 2 inches without proper camber bolts or camber kit will cause un even tire wear.. and could lead to axle failure..

but matt said he has camber bolts.. so that dispells that theory..
Old 02-06-2003, 07:52 PM

my point was.. that people who did not have camber bolts with sprint springs maybe that was the cause of the axle failure... lowering a car 2 inches without proper camber bolts or camber kit will cause un even tire wear.. and could lead to axle failure..

i don't have camber bolts but i have sprint springs and busted CV joints all that grease is all over my wheel wells
Old 02-06-2003, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by Soon2BMaxed
i don't have camber bolts but i have sprint springs and busted CV joints all that grease is all over my wheel wells

One side or both sides. Also you have a 95 which is a 8 year old car. Take all of this into consideration. You might have replaced them before I dont know, but with good ones or cheap ones?
Old 02-06-2003, 08:40 PM

30 dollar camber bolt solves the problem with a 40 buck allignment. i have just enough neg camber so i dont rub like -.1, before camber bolts i was -2.5 and -3.0 and i wonder why my potenzas only lasted like 10k miles.... lesson learned o yea i went through 3 cv boots before i spent the big bux for camber bolts
Old 02-06-2003, 08:41 PM

So Sprint you recommend camber bolts?, i don't have any and i am on sprint/agx but everything's been fine for almost a year.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:13 PM

Someone please inform me of what needs to be done so I do not have any problems. I'm on Spring/AGX and need an alignment (car pulls left a little).

Before I bring it in, I'd like to get whatever it is I need to help make the alignment more effective. I've never had an CV joint problems.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:20 PM

Both my driver's and passenger side CV Joints went bad within a few months, then I installed new ones, and one of those is bad already.....no grease or rips in the boots at all.

I got a new raxles axle and brand new tires with no wear in December - still tore a raxles axle apart in under 1.5 months. (Installed early Dec, started going mid-January.

I actually had Marti at Raxles (man that guy rocks) take apart my old axle and take pics - it's very obvious the axle problem was caused by the actual angle of the axle from the car being too low, and not camber at all. Both inboard and outboard CV Joints were thrashed inside, with no tears in the boot.

Call this being 277hp or whatever, but I'm never putting Sprints on my car again. of course, right now, I have the WRONG B&G Springs installed, and the car is even lower - putting the stock springs back on Saturday until shox.com resolves this.

IanS
Old 02-06-2003, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by max1ma97se
30 dollar camber bolt solves the problem with a 40 buck allignment. i have just enough neg camber so i dont rub like -.1, before camber bolts i was -2.5 and -3.0 and i wonder why my potenzas only lasted like 10k miles.... lesson learned o yea i went through 3 cv boots before i spent the big bux for camber bolts
So do you need Camber Bolts with sprints ?? where do they go ?? Im really conserned cause I just order a new axel from raxels for my lsd tranny and I wanna do this right..please more info

-matt
Old 02-06-2003, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by matty

So do you need Camber Bolts with sprints ?? where do they go ?? Im really conserned cause I just order a new axel from raxels for my lsd tranny and I wanna do this right..please more info

-matt
Order Eibach Camber Bolts from Alex at Southwest Autoworks.

They replace the top one of the 2 bolts that hold the lower strut assembly to the wheel assembly, and have a little tab on them. You just turn the tab the direction needed for proper camber - any good alignment shop should know how to do it.

www.southwestautoworks.com
Old 02-06-2003, 09:28 PM

Originally posted by iansw

Order Eibach Camber Bolts from Alex at Southwest Autoworks.

They replace the top one of the 2 bolts that hold the lower strut assembly to the wheel assembly, and have a little tab on them. You just turn the tab the direction needed for proper camber - any good alignment shop should know how to do it.

www.southwestautoworks.com

Not by any means pointing fingers or jumping to conclusions, but didnt you say "my sprints sit lower than anybody else's" because of your struts or whatever. This could be your problem.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:29 PM

Or should I just get different springs ??

This axel thats coming from marty in a few days is very rare..I mean there was only 2 in the country so I bouhgt it from a junkyard and Im having it rebuilt...I may just go to B&G's

I also dont understand why people with GC or JIC coilovers have this problem ?? I really dont know but I dont this sprints are too low ?

-matt
Old 02-06-2003, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by 96shogunmax

Not by any means pointing fingers or jumping to conclusions, but didnt you say "my sprints sit lower than anybody else's" because of your struts or whatever. This could be your problem.
Not really, my car wasn't a whole lot lower than everyone else - maybe 1/8"
Old 02-06-2003, 09:44 PM

I dont know man...I dont wanna change my sprints

-matt
Old 02-06-2003, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by matty
I dont know man...I dont wanna change my sprints

-matt
It does seem the majority of people aren't having this problem.

But you will be taking a risk sticking with Sprints, that's all - if it's a calculated risk you feel you can live with, then keep the Sprints.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:22 AM
Administrator

anyone with anything lower than Intrax should install camber bolts imeditely.. so that includes sprint springs..

someone asked about JIC's... i am pretty sure they come with a camber kit.. GC's.. not everyone lowers them 2 inches.. they are adjustable..

without camber bolts with sprint.. you run the risk of damaging axles and going through tires like nothing..

now ian.. i don't know about your sprints.. but i havn't seen any of those problems
Old 02-07-2003, 07:13 AM

anyone with anything lower than Intrax should install camber bolts imeditely.. so that includes sprint springs..

someone asked about JIC's... i am pretty sure they come with a camber kit.. GC's.. not everyone lowers them 2 inches.. they are adjustable..

without camber bolts with sprint.. you run the risk of damaging axles and going through tires like nothing..

now ian.. i don't know about your sprints.. but i havn't seen any of those problems

So if I buy the Eibach camber bolts from Alex and bring my car for an alignment, the car should come out perfect, with no more inside wear on my tires?
Old 02-07-2003, 07:54 AM

well if your car has that much HP and I race my car why has my axles not broken? my car is dropped 2.1 and no camber bolts what so ever
Old 02-07-2003, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by araffio

So if I buy the Eibach camber bolts from Alex and bring my car for an alignment, the car should come out perfect, with no more inside wear on my tires?
you gotta tell the alignment guy though.. that you have camber bolts.. because some of them don't listen.. and they fck your car up worse.. but in a sense if they do align it with the camber bolts.. you are good..
Old 02-07-2003, 08:56 AM

Originally posted by JAY25
well if your car has that much HP and I race my car why has my axles not broken? my car is dropped 2.1 and no camber bolts what so ever
Like I said, It's not happening to everyone - so you're simply taking a calculated risk - for me it's actually 3 things, I think:

1) lowered too much
2) too much power
3) horrible Seattle roads (in some places you can see through the pothole to the cobblestone from the 1900's, and all the layers inbetween)

I personally no longer wish to take that small risk - you keep doing what you're doing if you like.
Old 02-07-2003, 10:10 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

No wonder what? Do you even know what your talking about? this kind of crap ****es me off! Did you post that just to up your post count? Don't be a pw.

Originally posted by meccanoble

NO WONDER
Old 02-07-2003, 10:39 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: Question for the people who had problems with Sprint Springs

did you have camber bolts?

come on now.. be honest..
no bolts
Old 02-07-2003, 11:49 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

I did not have camber bolts. I didnt need them either. My alignment and tire wear were fine with the Sprints.
Old 02-07-2003, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by mzmtg
I did not have camber bolts. I didnt need them either. My alignment and tire wear were fine with the Sprints.
actually i have checked this out.. its fine... but after a couple hundred miles... the car goes out of spec
Old 02-11-2003, 07:20 AM
dko
duck and cover

actually i have checked this out.. its fine... but after a couple hundred miles... the car goes out of spec
you mean the camber/alignment drifts out after a few hundred miles, or what? The camber bolts are just a replacement for the top bolt on the lower part of the strut that holds the trailing/control arm, right?

i just bought brian's(briguymax) sprint/AGX combo. he had it in his 97 5-speed for about 5 months, during which time he drove like he does now (not quite like he stole it, but close), had a 100-shot and auto-x'ed a few times. he's still on original CV's and hasn't had any problems even though the car has almost 110,000 miles on it. when we were doing the swap we both noticed that his boots had some cracks, but were otherwise perfectly fine and rode great.

both of my boots look pristene and i have a little less than 80,000 on my '96, but I'm thinking that if there is a $30 part that prevents the possibility of having to shell out the money for new CV's in a few months or years, I'll sleep better at night.

then again, while doing the install and generally talking about the maxima community, we noticed that a lot of people on the forums are full of ****. case and point: sprint springs. maybe half a dozen people have lambasted these springs as garbage and said the ride was horrible. granted that may be due to the crap struts they used or the fact that sprints don't cradle their fat asses in a floaty muted ride, but teamed with the AGX's the ride is a lot better than i was lead to believe. it's much, much better than brian's stock 350z suspension, even. so you have to take whatever you hear here with a fistfull of salt; more often than not people are stating opinion and not anything resembling fact. present company excluded, of course...
Old 02-11-2003, 07:37 AM
ejj

I had sprints on my GXE for quite a while, no axel problems to this day (although its been back to the stock springs for about 5k miles).

I have GC's on my current car (Lowered a tad more than 2"), again, with no axel problems.

Neither car has camber bolts or plates.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:56 AM

Originally posted by dko

you mean the camber/alignment drifts out after a few hundred miles, or what? The camber bolts are just a replacement for the top bolt on the lower part of the strut that holds the trailing/control arm, right?

i just bought brian's(briguymax) sprint/AGX combo. he had it in his 97 5-speed for about 5 months, during which time he drove like he does now (not quite like he stole it, but close), had a 100-shot and auto-x'ed a few times. he's still on original CV's and hasn't had any problems even though the car has almost 110,000 miles on it. when we were doing the swap we both noticed that his boots had some cracks, but were otherwise perfectly fine and rode great.

both of my boots look pristene and i have a little less than 80,000 on my '96, but I'm thinking that if there is a $30 part that prevents the possibility of having to shell out the money for new CV's in a few months or years, I'll sleep better at night.

then again, while doing the install and generally talking about the maxima community, we noticed that a lot of people on the forums are full of ****. case and point: sprint springs. maybe half a dozen people have lambasted these springs as garbage and said the ride was horrible. granted that may be due to the crap struts they used or the fact that sprints don't cradle their fat asses in a floaty muted ride, but teamed with the AGX's the ride is a lot better than i was lead to believe. it's much, much better than brian's stock 350z suspension, even. so you have to take whatever you hear here with a fistfull of salt; more often than not people are stating opinion and not anything resembling fact. present company excluded, of course...

In case any of that was pointed towards me - I've stated more than twice that my axle problems were just in my case, and I do expect it was a combination of factors that don't come together for most people - Tokico Shocks, Auto, 277hp, and VERY bad roads.

I don't expect people to have problems with their axles at all most of the time, I was just saying what my experiences were - and with the B&G's now, my ride is 1000% better, that's all.

And also, when my axles did go, the boots were in pristine shape. marti at raxles dissassembled one of my bad axles, and it's extremely obvious the damage is from bad axle angle, caused by the Sprints, and bad roads.

But this is just MY experience - not alot of others have had this problem. I do notice however, that most of the people who say they've never had problems and have driven many, many miles, have 5spds.....interesting.

I don't really think most people will have this problem, but I just wanted people to be aware this COULD happen.

ciao!
Old 02-11-2003, 09:01 AM

As far as camber correction is concerned, is it worth the extra buco bucks to buy the stillen camber plates, or are the camber bolts alone adequate? I'm going to be using sprints and want to make sure I do it right the first time....nothing ****es me off more than doing a job twice (and paying for it twice).

Spence
Old 02-11-2003, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by NastyNissan
As far as camber correction is concerned, is it worth the extra buco bucks to buy the stillen camber plates, or are the camber bolts alone adequate? I'm going to be using sprints and want to make sure I do it right the first time....nothing ****es me off more than doing a job twice (and paying for it twice).

Spence
The bolts hsould be just fine....the plates are just cooler because you can adjust them quicker and, I think, more.....but the Eibach Camber Bolts work great by themselves.
Old 02-11-2003, 10:10 AM
dko
duck and cover

In case any of that was pointed towards me - I've stated more than twice that my axle problems were just in my case, and I do expect it was a combination of factors that don't come together for most people - Tokico Shocks, Auto, 277hp, and VERY bad roads.

I don't expect people to have problems with their axles at all most of the time, I was just saying what my experiences were - and with the B&G's now, my ride is 1000% better, that's all.

And also, when my axles did go, the boots were in pristine shape. marti at raxles dissassembled one of my bad axles, and it's extremely obvious the damage is from bad axle angle, caused by the Sprints, and bad roads.

But this is just MY experience - not alot of others have had this problem. I do notice however, that most of the people who say they've never had problems and have driven many, many miles, have 5spds.....interesting.

I don't really think most people will have this problem, but I just wanted people to be aware this COULD happen.

ciao!
nope, it wasn't aimed at you. just people who complain and badmouth things without thinking or understanding. you never said anything bad about sprints, just that the drop is low and in conjunction with your increased power and bad roads your axles have failed numerous times. you've always been forthright and logical and admit that springs are not the only issue, they simply heighten the wear on the axles. it's likely that the reason for your observation (about 5-speeds) is:
  • 1. auto's have more weight in the front because of the tranny
  • 2. most people with a 5-spd want their car to be a true 4DSC, so they get the stiffest and lowest springs, whereas us auto drivers may be more concerned with ride quality and looks than handling (not me personally, just a generalisation)
  • 3. there are a lot of people on the .org that have 5-spds. last time i checked, nearly half of the people here that voted have a stick, a much higher concentration than on the roads

do you think the camber bolts are a good investment, or unnecessary?
Old 02-11-2003, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by dko

great investment.. it will save you a whole bunch on tires in the long run..

thing with sprints and stock bolts.. or lowering 2 inches and stock bolts are.. they align properly.. but after about 3 months.. the slowly go out of spec.. and you get uneven tire wear..
Old 02-11-2003, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by dko

nope, it wasn't aimed at you. just people who complain and badmouth things without thinking or understanding. you never said anything bad about sprints, just that the drop is low and in conjunction with your increased power and bad roads your axles have failed numerous times. you've always been forthright and logical and admit that springs are not the only issue, they simply heighten the wear on the axles. it's likely that the reason for your observation (about 5-speeds) is:
  • 1. auto's have more weight in the front because of the tranny
  • 2. most people with a 5-spd want their car to be a true 4DSC, so they get the stiffest and lowest springs, whereas us auto drivers may be more concerned with ride quality and looks than handling (not me personally, just a generalisation)
  • 3. there are a lot of people on the .org that have 5-spds. last time i checked, nearly half of the people here that voted have a stick, a much higher concentration than on the roads

yes - I didn't have the bolts at first and shredded a set of tires in about 6 months.....

Now I've got the bolts, and tire wear is far better.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:06 PM
dko
duck and cover

yes - I didn't have the bolts at first and shredded a set of tires in about 6 months.....

Now I've got the bolts, and tire wear is far better.
awesome. i'll just get them from alex (southwestautoworks) and have them put on when i get the next alignment and replace one flat-spotted tire. thanks for the heads up iansw and sprite!

Quick Reply: Question for the people who had problems with Sprint Springs