4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Worn out steering wheel? Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 11:29 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Peter_98_SE
I also had a very similar problem once with my steering wheel, where the black leather faded and turned white. Here is what I did:

I first cleaned the faded spots with a leather skin balsam cleaner. After that, I used a non-slick/non-shine black shoe polish, and polished it into the faded spots. It turned out very well, and never needed re-polishing, and it also never left any residue on the hands. That was done over 2 years ago, and still holds up extremely well. I have before and after photos, and could e-mail them to you.
This sounds like it might be worth a try on the cut on the steering wheel that I was thinking about putting on instead of the original one. Still need to eventually figure out how to get it put on.

Any brand recommendations on leather skin balsam cleaner or shoe polish that you used might be helpful.

Thanks,

White96MaxSE
Old 01-27-2003, 11:53 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Just FYI: the leather of the Wheelskins covers is very soft and very stretchy. When you get it on, it is TIGHT there is no looseness or movement at all. Yet, it still feels supple. My original non-leather wheel had a spot that had started to chip off at the top from UV. The wheelskins leather is so soft that you can feel the imperfections in the wheel underneath through the leather.

I bought my first wheelskins from autobarn.com. That one had a couple holes tear out during installation. Autobarn's return policy seemed like a big hassle so I called wheelskins directly. They were great and sent me a new one out immediately, no questions asked.

That said, the part I got directly from wheelskins seemed to be a little nice than the one I got from an outside vendor. The holes were punched more evenly and the glue was put in better. Just something to think about.

EDIT: It took me about an hour to install. Yes, there was a little bleeding, but it wasn't too bad.
Old 02-03-2003, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by White96MaxSE

No one has said anything about the special tool for removing the airbag. Will I need to take this to a mechanic to have the replacement steering wheel moved over or can someone send me a private email to explain this to me.

The tool you are looking for to remove the airbag is called a Torx bit. You want the T50H, otherwise known as a T50 Tamper-Proof. A regular T50 will NOT work. Been there, done that

Go to your local Napa. If they don't have it in stock, they can get it for you the next day. Cost: a whopping $3.99! And they give you two bits, in case one breaks I guess.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by NismoSER

The tool you are looking for to remove the airbag is called a Torx bit. You want the T50H, otherwise known as a T50 Tamper-Proof. A regular T50 will NOT work. Been there, done that

Go to your local Napa. If they don't have it in stock, they can get it for you the next day. Cost: a whopping $3.99! And they give you two bits, in case one breaks I guess.
NismoSER comes through for me! Thanks for the information.

White96MaxSE
Old 02-06-2003, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by NismoSER

Revisiting this Airbag removal NismoSER;

I contacted my local NAPA auto parts stores, and they looked through three books and said that the only Torx Tamper Proof that they have available are in sizes T10 through T40, NO T50 Tamper proof.

They also said there regular T50 was around 5.49 and the Tamper Proof in the T40 runs around 7.50. The price is not the important thing though.

Are you sure it was NAPA? If so, Do you know a brand or should I try other Auto Parts stores?

Thanks,

White96MaxSE