4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Problems shifting....take a gander...please

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 03:58 PM
Jedi Knight

Problems shifting....take a gander...please

Ok...since yesterday...for some odd reason, sometimes it becomes such a chore to get the car into gear (1st) after coming to a stop, other times is just flows. I don't think/believe that I'm doing anything wrong, ie...not having the clutch all the way down...as I check and double check..has anybody else experienced anything like this? Maybe I'm thinking 1st is too far to the left than it really is..I don't know...any advice?

thanx

(disgruntled 5 speed driver)
Old 01-17-2003, 04:17 PM
living out of a maxima...

I find that 1st goes in easier if I put it in right as I'm coming to a stop.

or if I don't want to hold in the clutch(like at a light), I just blip the throttle a bit and it slides right in.
Old 01-17-2003, 04:22 PM
Jedi Knight

Originally posted by JeffesonM
I find that 1st goes in easier if I put it in right as I'm coming to a stop.

or if I don't want to hold in the clutch(like at a light), I just blip the throttle a bit and it slides right in.
thanks I give that a shot...should be heading out again soon...I'll try that
Old 01-17-2003, 04:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

whenever this happens to me, all I have to do is go into N let off the clutch, push the clutch back in, and then it will slide right into 1st w/out any problems. Try this, i'm pretty sure it will work.
Old 01-17-2003, 05:38 PM

The reason this happens is because of the principles that synchros work by. Synchros require movement in order to engage the gear so if you're at a complete stop and none of your gearshafts are spinning, synchros don't work. How do you fix the problem? Put some motion into the gears.

Solutions:

Nuetral and blip throttle
Put into gear before stop
Shift into other gears to realign the gears then put into desired gear (gear isn't engaging because of missalignment)
Old 01-17-2003, 09:40 PM

This often happens under extreme weather. My car can be a pain for 1st and Reverse when i just start her up. but when she's warm and ready its silky smooth short shifts
Old 01-17-2003, 10:13 PM
I'm so hood

Maybe I'm thinking 1st is too far to the left than it really is..I don't know...any advice?
It doesn't get any more further left than first....this ain't no Volkswagen
Old 01-18-2003, 04:22 PM

differential

this may sound harsh, but after i had a new differential(open-stock) put in, all those problems went away.
Old 01-18-2003, 08:03 PM
Jedi Knight

so...

you had the same problems...the focker is still under warranty...I'll take it in and have it replaced....gotta call them on Tuesday...damn...you are the man...! that could be it. BTW sleeper...how many miles on your max now? How is your son btw? Hope all is well.

thanx a bunch cause its getting worse...I was thinking it was the clutch but it grabs well I almost threw an artery, and the damn CEL came on...so I gotta check that tomorrow...but its going in this week...gotta use the warantee!
Old 01-18-2003, 08:43 PM

Double Clutch

- All you need to do is double-clutch it to get it into first. As you're slowing down, do the following:

1. Depress clutch pedal and put shifter into neutral.
2. Release clutch so that it "engages" neutral.
3. Blip throttle pretty high.
4. Depress clutch and wait for revs to drop slightly... shifter should slot right into first once the revs line up.

- Basically, double-clutching lines up the revs for you. It will take a bit of practice to get used to it, but you'll see how easily it slides into first.
- Other than that, my car has always slid into first without the need for double-clutching at about 2-3mph. Your problem isn't anything unusual - just sounds like the synchro's are getting a little worn.

Have fun.
Old 01-18-2003, 08:49 PM
aka UNCDooD

Re: Problems shifting....take a gander...please

Originally posted by nupe500

(disgruntled 5 speed driver)
wait til you have a tranny leak letting you know that your differential bearings might be going bad. then you can be a disgruntled 5-speed driver.
Old 01-19-2003, 05:16 AM

Re: so...

Originally posted by nupe500
you had the same problems...the focker is still under warranty...I'll take it in and have it replaced....gotta call them on Tuesday...damn...you are the man...! that could be it. BTW sleeper...how many miles on your max now? How is your son btw? Hope all is well.

thanx a bunch cause its getting worse...I was thinking it was the clutch but it grabs well I almost threw an artery, and the damn CEL came on...so I gotta check that tomorrow...but its going in this week...gotta use the warantee!
yes, i had those shifting problems, from day 1. i had problems shifting into reverse, and into first....you are the man....my max has about 60 k miles now....my son is doing pretty good, thanks for asking. i wish i could remember who you are.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:38 AM
Jedi Knight

Re: Re: so...

Originally posted by sleeper
yes, i had those shifting problems, from day 1. i had problems shifting into reverse, and into first....you are the man....my max has about 60 k miles now....my son is doing pretty good, thanks for asking. i wish i could remember who you are.
does a red 3rd gen ring a bell? I upgraded to the 4th gen about a month ago....My sister is driving the 3rd gen now. So...how much did it cost to get it fixed?...was it under warranty for you and how did they diagonse the problem? did they hassle you?

sorry for the questions...just trying to make sure I can get it fixed under the warranty, or I should say, I want to have all necessary ammo for the dealer.

thanx

Ola
Old 01-19-2003, 12:08 PM

diff

my diff. broke its leg, and sent it through the case, had to get that welded too. no warranty for my beast. i had some parts replaced last spring, so the guys at the shop cut me some break on labor. i was surprised after it was repaired that it shifted alot better. pitch a beach at the shop and tell them you want a new trans. the dealers don't usually repair trans, they put new ones in. trans should shift cleanly with out having to do things like double clutching and other pro-tech tricks to get the tranny to shift properly. get your mom or your wife to take it in and complain about it. they may listen to a woman, if you have difficulty. good luck.