4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

99 SE vs. SE-L??

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 04:00 AM

99 SE vs. SE-L??

What is the difference between the 99 SE and the ones that are SE Limiteds? So far the only things I noticed that were different were the badges on the doors and the floormats. Are they the only differences? Thanks
Old 01-16-2003, 04:20 AM

The wheels are also "titanium" color rather than lighter silver. That's it. And next time, please use the convenient "SEARCH" function. Welcome!
Old 01-16-2003, 05:01 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

"Titanium" guage faces instead of white as well. They were also available in pink from the factory:
Old 01-16-2003, 05:14 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Originally posted by mzmtg
"Titanium" guage faces instead of white as well. They were also available in pink from the factory:
HEY!!!!

the color is crimson blaze... not PINK!!!

damn you ben..
Old 01-16-2003, 06:34 AM

Originally posted by redmaxpa007

HEY!!!!

the color is crimson blaze... not PINK!!!

damn you ben..

The color is actually a Fuchsia tinted red.....
Old 01-16-2003, 07:58 AM

Also there are some things like mounting in the engine that are different. We have some parts that are the same as the 5th gens. Mounting difference ex: when I tried to install a FSTB, it would not fit because the mounting for the clutch lines is in the way, when it WOULD fit on a 99 SE. Also my key is different then normal 4th gens, it looks like a fifth gen key (it also has a chip inside, so you cant start the car without the chip). Oh well, even if it is a pain to have an SE-L, I like it just cause its different.
Lata,
Dan
Old 01-16-2003, 08:35 AM

Originally posted by DanSE
Also there are some things like mounting in the engine that are different. We have some parts that are the same as the 5th gens. Mounting difference ex: when I tried to install a FSTB, it would not fit because the mounting for the clutch lines is in the way, when it WOULD fit on a 99 SE. Also my key is different then normal 4th gens, it looks like a fifth gen key (it also has a chip inside, so you cant start the car without the chip). Oh well, even if it is a pain to have an SE-L, I like it just cause its different.
Lata,
Dan
yeah the fstb is like a 5th gen's, and aren't se-l's cali spec
Old 01-16-2003, 08:48 AM

Originally posted by johnvt1111

Old 01-16-2003, 09:32 AM
living out of a maxima...

Originally posted by johnvt1111

I know mine is
Old 01-16-2003, 09:33 AM

anyone have a pic of those "pink" gauges? I kinda wonder what they look like....And, the other 97-99 SE's are still available in silver right?
Old 01-16-2003, 09:43 AM
I am Roid Rage

No, not all SE-L’s are Cali spec. Mine isn’t anyway.

Oh and another thing about the SE-L’s, they have 195 horsepower stock. Nissan decided to give us an extra 5, just like the AE’s.
Old 01-16-2003, 09:50 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by DanSE
Lata,
Dan
cant start without the chip? so what happens to remote start? u can't install remote start on the 99 SE-L???
Old 01-16-2003, 09:59 AM

5 more HP?

Originally posted by Bluebird
No, not all SE-L?s are Cali spec. Mine isn?t anyway.

Oh and another thing about the SE-L?s, they have 195 horsepower stock. Nissan decided to give us an extra 5, just like the AE?s.
I have a crimson blaze (red) SE-L and I was unaware that we had 5 more HP. I wonder if that makes up for the fact that we have tighter emissions on our year or are we still behind the other 4th gens due to these restrictions.

Also I am waiting for Budget to come out with the "good" y-pipe for cali spec SE-L.

If we indeed have 5 more HP then once we have the "good" y-pipe that produces close to 20 HP then we should be one of the fastest cars of the 4th gen.

Eric

If we do actually have 5 more HP then what did Nissan do differently to the SE-L that gave them the extra 5 HP inspite of the fact they restricted the exaust?
Old 01-16-2003, 10:07 AM

Re: 5 more HP?

Originally posted by ezemax99se

I have a crimson blaze (red) SE-L and I was unaware that we had 5 more HP. I wonder if that makes up for the fact that we have tighter emissions on our year or are we still behind the other 4th gens due to these restrictions.
Also I am waiting for Budget to come out with the "good" y-pipe for cali spec SE-L.
If we indeed have 5 more HP then once we have the "good" y-pipe that produces close to 20 HP then we should be one of the fastest cars of the 4th gen.
Eric
If we do actually have 5 more HP then what did Nissan do differently to the SE-L that gave them the extra 5 HP inspite of the fact they restricted the exaust?
Bluebird was kidding Eric.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:10 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Oh and another thing about the SE-L’s, they have 195 horsepower stock.
no they don't
Old 01-16-2003, 10:11 AM

Re: Re: 5 more HP?

Originally posted by funnylittlman

Bluebird was kidding Eric.
Man, and I had my hopes up too

I didn't think that was possible but it can't hurt trying.

One question though to SE-L owners. Have you driven an older 4th gen and how much do you think the SE-L is behind in performance due to the exaust restrictions?

Thanks
Old 01-16-2003, 10:20 AM

Re: Re: Re: 5 more HP?

Originally posted by ezemax99se

Man, and I had my hopes up too

I didn't think that was possible but it can't hurt trying.

One question though to SE-L owners. Have you driven an older 4th gen and how much do you think the SE-L is behind in performance due to the exaust restrictions?

Thanks
I rode in a friend's 95 w/ 145K miles on it, Greddy Cat back and stillen intake.. he also had a upgraded cat. his pulled so much better than mine did... of course my butt dyno was probably off. At the time I only had a Stillen intake, which I have now removed.
Old 01-16-2003, 12:05 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: 5 more HP?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by funnylittlman

I rode in a friend's 95 w/ 145K miles on it, Greddy Cat back and stillen intake.. he also had a upgraded cat. his pulled so much better than mine did... of course my butt dyno was probably off. At the time I only had a Stillen intake, which I have now removed.
[/QUOTE

Suppose the two are both stock. Does anyone know how much performance difference there will be between a 1999 (with restricted exaust) and an earlier 4th gen with the stock exaust?

Thanks again.
Old 01-16-2003, 12:26 PM
I am Roid Rage

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 5 more HP?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ezemax99se
Originally posted by funnylittlman

[/QUOTE

Suppose the two are both stock. Does anyone know how much performance difference there will be between a 1999 (with restricted exaust) and an earlier 4th gen with the stock exaust?

Thanks again.
I don't know about the exhaust issue, but the earlier 4th gens weigh less than the later 4th gens, therefore making them faster.
Old 01-16-2003, 12:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 5 more HP?

The exhaust issue is that the 99s have 4 O2 sensors (instead of 3) and the front pre-cat is inside the exhaust manifold, instead of in the Y pipe, as in the 98 and earlier 4th gens. Kinda makes them less mod friendly

DW

I don't know about the exhaust issue, but the earlier 4th gens weigh less than the later 4th gens, therefore making them faster.
Old 01-16-2003, 12:52 PM
I am Roid Rage

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 5 more HP?

Originally posted by dwapenyi
The exhaust issue is that the 99s have 4 O2 sensors (instead of 3) and the front pre-cat is inside the exhaust manifold, instead of in the Y pipe, as in the 98 and earlier 4th gens. Kinda makes them less mod friendly

DW

How many cats total? I have, well had, 2 cats in the Y and 1 after the Y. Is there another one I don't know about? (Exhaust manifold?)

Also, where are the 4 O2 sensors.
Old 01-16-2003, 12:58 PM
Custom User Title

cant start without the chip? so what happens to remote start? u can't install remote start on the 99 SE-L???

To have a remote start on a SE-L u will need two programmed keys.
The installer takes one and permanently places it inside a box that permenamtly goes under your dash. so when you start the car remotlessly, the remote starter reads the code from the key in the box to bypass the ignition.
Old 01-16-2003, 03:14 PM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

Originally posted by ImStockBaby

To have a remote start on a SE-L u will need two programmed keys.
The installer takes one and permanently places it inside a box that permenamtly goes under your dash. so when you start the car remotlessly, the remote starter reads the code from the key in the box to bypass the ignition. [/B]

What?
Old 01-16-2003, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by fearthegecko
What?
SE-L's come with a key that has a chip in it. The car must have this key in it to run.

So say you get your chipped key copied at a hardware store... it will open the doors but once you start the car it will shut off after a few seconds, because it can't "find" the chip's signal.

If you want to put a remote start on a SE-L (with chipped key) you must get a second chipped key and put it under the dash, so when you remote start the car it will "find" the extra key's chip and continue to run.

On another thread I asked what it would take to de-convert a 99 cali-spec back to a 96 or 97, primarily to be able to use a JWT ECU. Related to this, does anyone know what it would take to de-convert this chipped key feature?
Old 01-16-2003, 04:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

How much less "mod friendly" is the 99 versus a 98?! Anything real big??
Old 01-16-2003, 05:35 PM

Dammit! I hate having a Cali spec with all this emissions stuff! I want a 96 5-Speed Fed Spec. (Fastest Year max, I think). Oh well, at least I have a little badge that says SE-L.
Old 01-16-2003, 05:44 PM

SE-L also have perforated leather sits w/ SE-L written on them. Not all 99s are cali spec. and the ones that are not, mod just as any other maxima.
Old 01-16-2003, 06:00 PM
Maxima Enthusiast

The chip in the key is not limited to SE-L. My 99SE also has the chip in it. Instead of getting another key, you can always split open your key and just take out the chip and place it in the car for remote start. Of course that defeats the purpose of security. But for those cold days when you can just press the button to start your car and have it warmed up by the time you get in, it's definitely worth it.

Originally posted by JeffesonM

SE-L's come with a key that has a chip in it. The car must have this key in it to run.

So say you get your chipped key copied at a hardware store... it will open the doors but once you start the car it will shut off after a few seconds, because it can't "find" the chip's signal.

If you want to put a remote start on a SE-L (with chipped key) you must get a second chipped key and put it under the dash, so when you remote start the car it will "find" the extra key's chip and continue to run.

On another thread I asked what it would take to de-convert a 99 cali-spec back to a 96 or 97, primarily to be able to use a JWT ECU. Related to this, does anyone know what it would take to de-convert this chipped key feature?
Old 01-16-2003, 07:54 PM

i didnt think there was a normal se
Old 01-17-2003, 09:19 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 5 more HP?

I guess you had a Fed spec 99? I didn't know they exist. I thought that all 99s were cali spec. If memory serves me, the cali 99s have an O2 before and after the cat, plus the other regular ones.

DW

How many cats total? I have, well had, 2 cats in the Y and 1 after the Y. Is there another one I don't know about? (Exhaust manifold?)

Also, where are the 4 O2 sensors.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:45 AM
I am Roid Rage

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 5 more HP?

Originally posted by dwapenyi
I guess you had a Fed spec 99? I didn't know they exist. I thought that all 99s were cali spec. If memory serves me, the cali 99s have an O2 before and after the cat, plus the other regular ones.

DW

I'm Fed spec, which is nice. I was worried for a second. I thought I was going to have to take the Y off and knock the cat out of the exhaust manifold.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:00 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 5 more HP?

Fed Spec 5 speed SE-L, Crimson blaze with the perforated black leather?? That's got to be the best and most rare 4th gen, PERIOD!

DW

I'm Fed spec, which is nice. I was worried for a second. I thought I was going to have to take the Y off and knock the cat out of the exhaust manifold.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:47 PM

SE-L's were a marketing ploy to empty 4th gens before the 5th gens were introduced. They produced them starting in march, im pretty sure.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:59 PM
I am Roid Rage

Originally posted by Stillnmax
SE-L's were a marketing ploy to empty 4th gens before the 5th gens were introduced. They produced them starting in march, im pretty sure.
I think somebody has some SE-L envy.

Titanium colored 16's own joo!
Old 01-17-2003, 04:02 PM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

Originally posted by JeffesonM

no i know all about the chip in the key, i have a 99 Se-L, and i found out about it the hard way: by using a copied key. What i don't understand is the whole "under the dashboard" thing. Does it have to be a specific place, or can you just throw a key under there and have it work? Does this mean that you can use copied keys without the chips to start your car?

Also, downside of the whole chipped key thing: It costs $45 to have a key made rather than 99 cents at a hardware store.

Why does my *** hurt everytime i leave a nissan dealer?
Old 01-17-2003, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by fearthegecko

What i don't understand is the whole "under the dashboard" thing. Does it have to be a specific place, or can you just throw a key under there and have it work?
I guess within range of the sensor. if you already have a copied, no-chip key, just give it a shot. mabye ImStockBaby or SighMax have done this before?
Old 01-17-2003, 04:25 PM

my car was one of the last 99's built before the SE-L ...
Old 01-17-2003, 07:17 PM
Custom User Title

I have not had this done to my car, but it was done on my dad's ford windstar. The box can be anywhere as long as its not near the key cylinder.
Theres a little glass capsule at the end of a wire, with some kind of signal sender in it (looks like a L.E.D.). that runs from the box to the key cylinder.
You would still need a programmed key to start it from inside the car.
The key under the dash is only used when the car is turned on from the remote starter.

So does this mean the 99's are virtually unstealable? I would like to think so.