4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Coolant leak...possible cracked block???

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 10:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Coolant leak...possible cracked block???

When I bought my car it was smashed in the front end. The guy that repaired it had to replace the alternator because it was smashed due to the collision. I've had the car for about 2 years now and for about the last 6-8 months I've had a coolant leak coming from behind the a/c compressor and alternator. Today I tore things apart to find the leak, hoping it was a gasket further up or something. The leak starts right at the mount for the alternator. Is it possible that it was hit so hard that it cracked something (block?)? It's progressively getting worse and doesn't always leak. Sometimes I'll park somewhere and nothing leaks out, then I'll drive somewhere and there will be a puddle about the size of a softball, or other times I can see a small stream of coolant coming from under the car. What do you guys think?
Old 01-02-2003, 10:05 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Try some JB weld on it.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:18 AM

I can't see the origin.

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
Try some JB weld on it.
The first visible sign of coolant is below the alt. mount. No coolant above the mount though. It's leaking somewhere behind it.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:21 AM
rmb

Re: Coolant leak...possible cracked block???

Originally posted by BSwithTF
When I bought my car it was smashed in the front end. The guy that repaired it had to replace the alternator because it was smashed due to the collision. I've had the car for about 2 years now and for about the last 6-8 months I've had a coolant leak coming from behind the a/c compressor and alternator. Today I tore things apart to find the leak, hoping it was a gasket further up or something. The leak starts right at the mount for the alternator. Is it possible that it was hit so hard that it cracked something (block?)? It's progressively getting worse and doesn't always leak. Sometimes I'll park somewhere and nothing leaks out, then I'll drive somewhere and there will be a puddle about the size of a softball, or other times I can see a small stream of coolant coming from under the car. What do you guys think?
You're gonna have to get in there with engine cleaner and a good light to figure out exactly where it's coming from. Sounds like the block though.... that would suck. And that would make sense since that's where it took the impact.

Take the alternator off and check it out...

If it is..... someone who's really good with tig welder might be able to make a temporary fix but cracked blocks tend to get worse...

-RMB
Old 01-02-2003, 10:21 AM
I'm needing a caw

hmm if it was hit hard enough to break the alternator, that's fairly hard. I kinda doubt it's the block though. but you might have loosened a block freeze plug. Is your ac compressor mounted above the alternator? You might have to take that off also to see what's leaking. Also take a close look at your water pump housing.
Old 01-02-2003, 11:08 AM

You didn't indicate how many miles you have on it, but since it's a '96, I'd guess you're near the 100K mark. If so, you should definately look closely at the water pump.
Old 01-02-2003, 01:11 PM

108,000 miles

Originally posted by sinewave
You didn't indicate how many miles you have on it, but since it's a '96, I'd guess you're near the 100K mark. If so, you should definately look closely at the water pump.
How do I check the W/P? I could handle a W/P better than a cracked block.
Old 01-02-2003, 01:48 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I'd bet it's related to something with the water pump. I've read that replacing the water pumps really sucks on these cars, but you're at an entire commerical garage at your disposal so tackling the job would be pretty easy for you.

Dave
Old 01-02-2003, 01:52 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

My vote goes to the water pump.

If the block was cracked it would have started to leak when it got hit.
Old 01-02-2003, 03:02 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Coolant leak

I've got a 96 SE(328k)and somewhere around 175-200k i had a small antifreeze leak that i could not find so i took it in to the dealer. Seems there is a seal behind the timing chains that leaks. The engine had to be removed and taken apart at which point i had them change the water pump and chains(very costly $2700). So if all else fails you may want consider that seal as a last resort.
Old 01-02-2003, 03:12 PM

Easiest way to find a leak is to get some UV dye from an auto parts place and a blacklight. Put the dye in your coolant and then run the engine until warm, then shut off. Then take the UV light in the dark and shine it on the suspected area. The dye will glow and you'll be able to see it. This is used to distinguish old leaks from new ones in a messy engine.

Also, it is very possible that the block could be damaged. JB weld might fix it temporarily, but not for the long haul. You'll need an arc welder and an experienced machinist/metalworker to do that.
Old 01-02-2003, 04:42 PM

Re: Coolant leak

Originally posted by GKET36
I've got a 96 SE(328k)and somewhere around 175-200k i had a small antifreeze leak that i could not find so i took it in to the dealer. Seems there is a seal behind the timing chains that leaks. The engine had to be removed and taken apart at which point i had them change the water pump and chains(very costly $2700). So if all else fails you may want consider that seal as a last resort.
I could have gone without hearing that. j/k I'll find a good used engine to swap in before I go that route. I'm gonna do the water pump. Only $52.99 at O'Reilly's. Hopefully that'll solve it.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:05 PM

i had the same problem...it was my water pump.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:22 PM

1996 Nissan Maxima coolent leak

I have a 1996 Nissan Maxima 3L coolent leak coming from the front of the engine, coming from under the alternator mount same as you had. The leak appears to be coming from under the mount alternator. I see what appears to be cylinder shaped tube within the engine casting, under the mount to the alternator with a small spray of coolent comimg from a round groove on this tube. The tube appears to be some kind of water transfer tube running coolent from one side of the engine block to the other.
This coolent tube is directly over the oil pan and displays a leak which appears to be coming from between the A/C and alternator. Do you know what this tube is, why it may be leaking, how to repair it? Also this tube appears to have a bolt running through it or something as I can see the tip of what appears be the small tip of a bolt showing through on the side of the engine where the belt runs.
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/general-nissan-altima-discussion-1993-2001/271668-98-altima-coolant-leak-air-conditioning-compressor.html

----------------------------------
Originally Posted by BSwithTF
Old 11-17-2010, 09:58 PM

holy 8 year bump
Old 11-18-2010, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by kenai1234
I have a 1996 Nissan Maxima 3L coolent leak coming from the front of the engine, coming from under the alternator mount same as you had. The leak appears to be coming from under the mount alternator. I see what appears to be cylinder shaped tube within the engine casting, under the mount to the alternator with a small spray of coolent comimg from a round groove on this tube. The tube appears to be some kind of water transfer tube running coolent from one side of the engine block to the other.
This coolent tube is directly over the oil pan and displays a leak which appears to be coming from between the A/C and alternator. Do you know what this tube is, why it may be leaking, how to repair it? Also this tube appears to have a bolt running through it or something as I can see the tip of what appears be the small tip of a bolt showing through on the side of the engine where the belt runs.
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/general-nissan-altima-discussion-1993-2001/271668-98-altima-coolant-leak-air-conditioning-compressor.html

----------------------------------
A whole bunch of people said it was their water pump. You have to find where the 'leak' is. According to everyone elses replies to the op it's probably your water pump.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by chrome91
holy 8 year bump

:metalmax:
Old 11-20-2010, 10:38 PM

HOW CAN A 1996 NISSAN MAXIMA WATER PUMP WEEP OUT OF ITS ALTERNATOR MOUNT? IS THIS POSSIBLE?
Old 11-20-2010, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
hmm if it was hit hard enough to break the alternator, that's fairly hard. I kinda doubt it's the block though. but you might have loosened a block freeze plug. Is your ac compressor mounted above the alternator? You might have to take that off also to see what's leaking. Also take a close look at your water pump housing.

The A/C compressor is mounted below the alternator on my 1996 Nissan Maxima, I removed the A/C just to view the alternator mount and clearly saw the coolent leaks begin from inside the alternator mount. There appears to be a small tube or raised spot in the casting with a cirrular
groove running around it, the groove is where the leak starts.
Is it possible that this is a water pump weep hole? Does anyone know
what is located under the alternator mount which could leak?
Old 11-20-2010, 11:01 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

The A/C compressor is mounted below the alternator on my 1996 Nissan Maxima, I removed the A/C just to view the alternator mount and clearly saw the coolent leaks begin from inside the alternator mount. There appears to be a small tube or raised spot in the casting with a cirrular
groove running around it, the groove is where the leak starts.
Is it possible that this is a water pump weep hole? Does anyone know
what is located under the alternator mount which could leak?
Welcome to the org. The search feature on this board is fantastic. Help yourself by becoming familiar with it. I found these links by using it:

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...ater-pump.html
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...cant-find.html
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...eeze-leak.html
Check out post #13 on that last one to get an idea of where your potential problem is.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:02 AM

check the engine core plugs. these are hard to get to because they are behind the both timing chain covers. there are two or three. very tedious work.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by nelledge
Welcome to the org. The search feature on this board is fantastic. Help yourself by becoming familiar with it. I found these links by using it:

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...ater-pump.html
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...cant-find.html
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...eeze-leak.html
Check out post #13 on that last one to get an idea of where your potential problem is.
Regarding the problem coming from the water pump. The coolent leak is coming from under the alternator mount which is at least a foot or two from the water pump. There appears to be a coolent tube buried under the alternator mount with a cirrcular ring groove on the tube which appears to be leaking.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by 95franklin
A whole bunch of people said it was their water pump. You have to find where the 'leak' is. According to everyone elses replies to the op it's probably your water pump.

Regarding the problem coming from the water pump. The coolent leak is coming from under the alternator mount which is at least a foot or two from the water pump. There appears to be a coolent tube buried under the alternator mount with a cirrcular ring groove on the tube which appears to be leaking.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:25 PM

I have a 1996 Nissan Maxima 3L with a coolent leak coming from the front of the engine, coming from under the alternator mount. I see what appears to be cylinder shaped tube directly under the alternator mount. A small spray of coolent sprays from a round or cirrcular groove on this tube. The tube appears to be some kind of coolent transfer tube running water from one side of the engine block to the other.
This coolent tube is directly over the oil pan and displays a leak which appears to be coming from between the A/C and alternator. Does anyone know what this tube is? why it wouldl be leaking? how to repair it? I have heard that some cars may have a power steering problem which relates to coolent leak under alternator.
http://www.fixya.com/cars/t1729533-leaking_coolant_alternator_bracket
I can see the tip of what appears be the small tip of a bolt showing through on the right (drivers view) side of the engine where the belt runs. Has anyone ever heard of a coolent transfer tube under the alternator of a 1996 Nissan Maxima?
Old 11-21-2010, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by BSwithTF

I have a coolent leak much like the one you had back a few years ago.
I have a 1996 Nissan Maxima 3L with a coolent leak coming from the front of the engine, coming from under the alternator mount. I see what appears to be cylinder shaped tube directly under the alternator mount. A small spray of coolent sprays from a round or cirrcular groove on this tube. The tube appears to be some kind of coolent transfer tube running water from one side of the engine block to the other.
This coolent tube is directly over the oil pan and displays a leak which appears to be coming from between the A/C and alternator. Does anyone know what this tube is? why it wouldl be leaking? how to repair it? I have heard that some cars may have a power steering problem which relates to coolent leak under alternator.
I can see the tip of what appears be a bolt showing through on the right side (drivers view) of the engine where the belt runs. Have you ever heard of a coolent transfer tube under the alternator of a 1996 Nissan Maxima?
Old 11-21-2010, 03:34 PM

engine core plugs

Originally Posted by sizzla
check the engine core plugs. these are hard to get to because they are behind the both timing chain covers. there are two or three. very tedious work.
Sizzla
Do you know where I may locate a schmatic of the 1996 Nissan Maxima engine core plugs? thanks.
Don
ccwow@gci.net
Old 11-21-2010, 03:37 PM

Nissan Maxima has a engine VQ30DE

Sizzla
Do you know where I may locate a schmatic of the 1996 Nissan Maxima engine core plugs? thanks.
Don
ccwow@gci.net
My 1996 Nissan Maxima has a engine is a Nissan Maxima 3.0 L VQ30DE
Old 11-22-2010, 06:06 AM

Old 11-22-2010, 10:55 AM
SLOW

your description sounds like you're just talking about the thermostat.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:22 PM

thermostat

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
your description sounds like you're just talking about the thermostat.

The thermostat is on the other side of the engine, about two or three feet away from the problem leak. This coolent leak is in the front of the engine between alternator and A/C units, the thermostat is on the back of the engine. The coolent leak appears to be coming from within the alternator mount. There appears to be a 3/8 inch. coolent tube embedded within the alternator mount. The tube looks looks like it has a rounded grooved joint within it, which is leaking. This tubing is surrounded by the metal fingers of the alternator mount, thus making it very hard to access or repair.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:25 PM

Maxima engine core plugs

Originally Posted by sizzla

Does anyone know where I may locate a schmatic of the 1996 Nissan Maxima engine core plugs? thanks.
Don
ccwow@gci.net
Old 11-22-2010, 03:31 PM

water pump?

Originally Posted by buss95max
i had the same problem...it was my water pump.

buss,
Could you explain where your coolent leak was at? Mine is within the alternator mount. There is a 3/8 inch metal coolent tube running within my alternator mount and that tube is leaking. The tube is surrounded by the alternator mount and is very hard to access. Is this the same tube which was leaking for you when you repaired it by replacing the water pump?
My water pump is two feet away from this leak.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:38 PM

1996 Nissan Maxima 3L coolent leak coming

Originally Posted by rmb
You're gonna have to get in there with engine cleaner and a good light to figure out exactly where it's coming from. Sounds like the block though.... that would suck. And that would make sense since that's where it took the impact.

If it is..... someone who's really good with tig welder might be able to make a temporary fix but cracked blocks tend to get worse...

-RMB
-------------------------------
I have a from the front of the engine, coming from under the alternator mount, a lot like this guy had. The leak appears to be coming from under the mount alternator. I see what appears to be cylinder shaped tube under the mount to the alternator with a small spray of coolent comimg from a round groove on this tube. The tube appears to be some kind of water transfer tube running coolent from one side of the engine block to the other.
This coolent tube is directly over the oil pan and displays a leak which appears to be coming from between the A/C and alternator. Do you know what this tube is, why it may be leaking, how to repair it? Also this tube appears to have a bolt running through it or something as I can see the tip of what appears be the small tip of a bolt showing through on the side of the engine where the belt runs. Do you know what this tube is or how to repair it?
Old 11-22-2010, 03:52 PM

coolent leak, tig welder

Originally Posted by rmb

-RMB
------------------------------
I can see the coolent leak coming from a metal tube within the alternator mount. The tube is about 3/8 inch in dia. with a small circular groove running around the tube in the spot where it is leaking. This tube is a foot or two from the water pump and on the front of the engine. Using a tig on this tube would be almost impossible because its surrounded by the alternator mount, its even hard to just see with a flash light.
Saw where one guy claimed it has something to do with the power steering pump, think it was a chev. Said it involved an o ring repair on the pump somehow...

"Yes there is an "O" ring in there. However that plastc tube always breaks or cracks. You can get that tube kit from your local parts store. Remove the serpentine belt and pwr steer pump, The pump has three bolts accessed through the pwr steer pump pully you will see the holes in the pully to get to bolts DO NOT REMOVE HOSES. Now give the pump gentle persuasion uppward, but it will come, make sure the back of the pump isn't obstructed by the fuel rail you will see what I mean when you look at it. Remove all other parts in your way, hoses etc., be gental. When you remove the tubes note where each end goes the "O" rings have different colors 1 is redish orange & the other is purple this should give you an idea what goes where. Just remember to bleed coolant system of air when done. There's a metal tube in front that goes under upper motor mounts, it has bleeders at each end. Jobs not hard just requires time and patience. Oh, add a little permatex (black) around "O" rings when installing for added security, just push in firmly these are fragile. You might have to remove coolant reservoir bottle as well if it's in your way. "
--------------------------------------------------------------
Old 11-22-2010, 06:50 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Good grief, kenai1234. Stop post-whoring! If you want to argue with people that are giving you answers, then take the thing apart, find what's wrong, post some photos, and help us all learn something new. Otherwise, stop already.

BTW, I'm posting this in both threads.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:37 AM

I can post photos, can someone let me know how to upload pics."
All I see are where you can post links.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:01 PM

post some photos

Originally Posted by nelledge
Good grief, kenai1234. Stop post-whoring! If you want to argue with people that are giving you answers, then take the thing apart, find what's wrong, post some photos, and help us all learn something new. Otherwise, stop already.

BTW, I'm posting this in both threads.
------------------
I can post photos, can't see how to upload pics.
All I can see is where you can list an existing link.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:52 PM
SLOW

The thermostat is on the other side of the engine, about two or three feet away from the problem leak. This coolent leak is in the front of the engine between alternator and A/C units, the thermostat is on the back of the engine. The coolent leak appears to be coming from within the alternator mount. There appears to be a 3/8 inch. coolent tube embedded within the alternator mount. The tube looks looks like it has a rounded grooved joint within it, which is leaking. This tubing is surrounded by the metal fingers of the alternator mount, thus making it very hard to access or repair.

No, actually the thermostat is not on the other side of the engine - it is nowhere near where you're describing. The thermostat is on the same side of the engine as the alternator and AC compressor, not more than half an inch from the alternator.

However, description of the tube being approximately 3/8" diameter would not the thermostat as the thermostat orifice is more like 1.5" in diameter. I don't know what coolant tube would be down where you're describing, but you can download the factory service manual from http://nicoclub.com/FSM/

I can't think of anything in that area besides the water pump drain plug (which doesn't have a hose associated with it) or perhaps the transmission oil cooler if your vehicle is an automatic. I've never had an automatic maxima so I'm not sure exactly where those tubes connect to the engine.

you post pictures by hosting them on a hosting site such as photobucket and then using the insert image button (yellow with a little mountain drawn on it), or by using the insert image function (the paperclip).

also, stop posting the same thing over and over. you can make your own thread now, I suggest you do so. you will get a lot more views than by piggybacking on something posted in 2003.