4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

warpspeed Bpipe and HKS muffler report.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 03:02 PM

warpspeed Bpipe and HKS muffler report.

Ok I bought these setup off of a friend and had it put on today. The shop couldn't "direct fit" the warpspeed bpipe, so they left the "S-bend" after the cat in place, and had to do some "chopping and welding" at the cat side of the warpspeed Bpipe. But he did good work and the fit is good and secure. No rattles. No leaks.
So in turn this became like the Courtesy Nissan bpipe.

POWER
I havent had a chance to go on the highway yet, but my immediate butt accelero-meter indicates that the 3k sweet spot has "sweetened" even more. I put in new plugs, RT cat, and a catback, all within a span of 1 week. Overall I am very happy right now. I know my car inside out and I am sensitive to even small power changes. I'd definitely recommend a catback exhaust. I should be getting some time slips when the track opens in spring.

NOISE
As expected, its got a nice rumble. At idle, its dead silent. When cruising to a stop, dead silent. Accelerating, as soon I go over 2800, the muffler noise dies out and intake growl takes over. On the highway, sounds just like a stock muffler. Meaning its dead silent. No droning whatsoever. This is a maxima specific HKS muffler and I like it mucho. But, the normal 30mph or so residential area/street driving is lil loud for me.

ok thanks for reading. Hope this was helpful. Its time to get new shocks and get the FP gauge installed now !!
Old 12-31-2002, 04:29 PM

ok this is hokiemax. I just drove my car again and the power gain is definitely there. UP to 3k, the car goes v..r....o...o...mm.
When I reach 3k it goes v..r..o..o..o..ROOOOOOM.. and the car just wants to go keep going. I'm not imagining this. With a stock bpipe and muffler, my car did this sometimes when it was feeling good. Like when I drive on the higway 4 straight hours on chevron gas. Now it does that all the time. So I'd say a catback makes the effect of the ypipe more pronounced. I am very satisfied.
I just wish I didn't have to spend $150 on the install.
But I'm still healthy and my limbs are intact. I almost got my legs chopped off once because a factory jack collaped during a brake job. This is how I console myself when I ended up using more than anticipated money at a shop. lol.
Old 01-03-2003, 04:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

where did you get the hks specific bolt on muffler. I would really like to know becuase I am very interested in buying a catback right now. I really don't want to spend 500 dollars either. And I want quiteness, so the hks thing sounds promising.
Old 01-03-2003, 04:49 PM

im looking for a muffler to go with my budget b pipe, and would like to know more about the hks maxima specific muffler. does it have hangers, and does it bolt on directly to the b pipe? if so that means i could instal it myself instead of paying a shop to weld. where do you buy, and how much was it? thanks
Old 01-03-2003, 09:07 PM

Re: warpspeed Bpipe and HKS muffler report.

Originally posted by hokiemax
Ok I bought these setup off of a friend and had it put on today. The shop couldn't "direct fit" the warpspeed bpipe, so they left the "S-bend" after the cat in place, and had to do some "chopping and welding" at the cat side of the warpspeed Bpipe. But he did good work and the fit is good and secure. No rattles. No leaks.
So in turn this became like the Courtesy Nissan bpipe.

POWER
I havent had a chance to go on the highway yet, but my immediate butt accelero-meter indicates that the 3k sweet spot has "sweetened" even more. I put in new plugs, RT cat, and a catback, all within a span of 1 week. Overall I am very happy right now. I know my car inside out and I am sensitive to even small power changes. I'd definitely recommend a catback exhaust. I should be getting some time slips when the track opens in spring.

NOISE
As expected, its got a nice rumble. At idle, its dead silent. When cruising to a stop, dead silent. Accelerating, as soon I go over 2800, the muffler noise dies out and intake growl takes over. On the highway, sounds just like a stock muffler. Meaning its dead silent. No droning whatsoever. This is a maxima specific HKS muffler and I like it mucho. But, the normal 30mph or so residential area/street driving is lil loud for me.

ok thanks for reading. Hope this was helpful. Its time to get new shocks and get the FP gauge installed now !!
I am just curious why the shop couldn't direct fit the warpspeed b-pipe?? I thought it was a direct bolt on??
Old 01-04-2003, 01:59 AM

Originally posted by Dstyle
im looking for a muffler to go with my budget b pipe, and would like to know more about the hks maxima specific muffler. does it have hangers, and does it bolt on directly to the b pipe? if so that means i could instal it myself instead of paying a shop to weld. where do you buy, and how much was it? thanks
HKS made a Maxima specific muffler for the 95-96 models. The muffler will also fit on 97-99 years but sits tucked under the bumper about an inch or two. Hangers matched up with stock mounts and bolts directly to B pipe. Some folks in the past have had trouble with rust. I had mine for about a 1.5 years in Germany and I've had no problems with rust. Bought it from Carparts.com with a coupon several years ago, about 250-280 range.
Old 01-04-2003, 05:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

woah thats kind of steep, I rather go for a complete catback system for that amount. 250 plus price of b pipe, its the same price as the blitz or greddy.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:44 AM

Ethan who would have sold such a nice setup to you at half the cost....i muuuust know you need pics ****
Old 01-14-2003, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by johnvt1111
Ethan who would have sold such a nice setup to you at half the cost....i muuuust know you need pics ****
hahaha
but you know what the install cost me $100 more than I was planning to !!! It cost me $150. Maybe I should have taken it to a shop that does exhaust works only.. but oh well its on the car now and I'm pretty happy.

And for people who need more info, here is why the B pipe couldnt be bolted on to my car. Maybe it could have been if the shop had more experience, I dont know..

On 97-98 maximas, there is a "S-bend" pipe right after the cat, and thats where the 02 sensors plugs into. 99 dont have this Sbend nor the 02 sensor. Thus, when you get the Warpspeed B pipe off a 99 and put it into a 98, you need to take off the Sbend and the stock bpipe off of the 98, then put in the new aftermarket Bpipe, and then weld in a 02 bung into the new aftermarket bpipe, which is now on the car. But instead of doing this, the shop left my s-bend in place.. If the sbend is not taken out, the new warpspeed B will not fit in, of course, since it will be too long. So he cut off that side of the warpspeed B and welded it back together to make it shorter. Get what I'm saying?? So now my new warpspeed B pipe is like the courtesty one. The courtesy Bpipe leaves the Sbend in place too. According to the guy at the shop, he said the warpspeed B was not gonna fit correctly if the sbend was taken out... but I have a feeling maybe he didnt know what he was doing.. oh well..

I will post some pics by tomorrow.
Old 01-14-2003, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by hokiemax

hahaha
but you know what the install cost me $100 more than I was planning to !!! It cost me $150. Maybe I should have taken it to a shop that does exhaust works only.. but oh well its on the car now and I'm pretty happy.

And for people who need more info, here is why the B pipe couldnt be bolted on to my car. Maybe it could have been if the shop had more experience, I dont know..

On 97-98 maximas, there is a "S-bend" pipe right after the cat, and thats where the 02 sensors plugs into. 99 dont have this Sbend nor the 02 sensor. Thus, when you get the Warpspeed B pipe off a 99 and put it into a 98, you need to take off the Sbend and the stock bpipe off of the 98, then put in the new aftermarket Bpipe, and then weld in a 02 bung into the new aftermarket bpipe, which is now on the car. But instead of doing this, the shop left my s-bend in place.. If the sbend is not taken out, the new warpspeed B will not fit in, of course, since it will be too long. So he cut off that side of the warpspeed B and welded it back together to make it shorter. Get what I'm saying?? So now my new warpspeed B pipe is like the courtesty one. The courtesy Bpipe leaves the Sbend in place too. According to the guy at the shop, he said the warpspeed B was not gonna fit correctly if the sbend was taken out... but I have a feeling maybe he didnt know what he was doing.. oh well..

I will post some pics by tomorrow.
Just tell me where you could have gotten the products cheaper
Old 01-14-2003, 01:29 PM

i have a 99 with the s bend and sensor. the budget b pipe replaces the s bend and has a hole for the sensor to go in it.