4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How many people regret buying an auto Maxima OR does anyone have one and like it???

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2001, 01:36 AM
Maximus04

Yo guys, i dont know stick and in a year im gonan purchase my first car, and ma dad doesnt know sitkc and i need to get a auto. tell me good **** and bad **** about auto. Tell me if i will be disapointed iwht a fast car, good ride, and somethin to show off to ma gal

Old 01-03-2001, 01:37 AM

My friend has a GLE and he totally likes the stick better!
Old 01-03-2001, 01:53 AM
Maximus04

yo but what about SE

Old 01-03-2001, 02:35 AM
JUGSMAX

Originally posted by Maximus04
Yo guys,I dont know stick and in a year im gonan purchase my first car, and ma dad doesnt know sitkc and i need to get a auto. tell me good **** and bad **** about auto. Tell me if i will be disapointed iwht a fast car, good ride, and somethin to show off to ma gal
I've had them both.A 95se 5spd..and now a 97se auto..At first I really wanted a 5spd,so I got one ;but my gf doesn't know how to drive a 5spd.So after I got the 95se.She was dissapointed cause she didn't know how to drive it...So after about a month I said if I'm gonna make these payments I might as well buy me a new one.So I went and got one this time a (AUTO)....After almost 4 years driven this (AUTO)I will never go back to a 5spd...Idon't want to change no more gears..Its cool when u r 25yrs old;but now I am 31yrs. old....It takes to much energy to change all those gears.So I'm sticking with an (AUTO);but guess what?I still be blowing chumps away on the daily if possible...So do what you want to...You can't go wrong eitherway...GOODLUCK---MAX4EVER!!!!!!

Old 01-03-2001, 02:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

im happy with my gxe-auto
Old 01-03-2001, 06:06 AM
1997SENJ

I Love Auto too.

I have to say, there is something nice about just driving, especially when I'm sitting in traffic during my daily commute. Don't get me wrong, there is something great about shifting gears yourself, it just makes driving more fun, but not for a daily driver, at least not IMHO.

Old 01-03-2001, 06:08 AM
CustomMax

I had a 1997 Civic EX in 5 speed, and now I have a 96 SE in auto. I love auto. The difference in speed is very minimal. The quarter mile times between auto and stick is one tenth of a second. And that is only if you know how to drive your *** off. So in actuality you could probably take most 5spd maxima owners in an automatic. I am more geared towards show, and love to have my hands free to drink, or talk on the cellular, or play the PS2. I would never go back to 5spd. I'm more of a laid back, cruisin' type person, and switching the gears becomes a pain in the *** after about 6 months of driving it.

Old 01-03-2001, 06:31 AM

whatever rocks your boat

personally I wouldn't have a stick for a daily driver - too much work. 5 speed is cool if u don't mind changing gears
Old 01-03-2001, 06:33 AM

Originally posted by CustomMax
I had a 1997 Civic EX in 5 speed, and now I have a 96 SE in auto. I love auto. The difference in speed is very minimal. The quarter mile times between auto and stick is one tenth of a second. And that is only if you know how to drive your *** off. So in actuality you could probably take most 5spd maxima owners in an automatic. I am more geared towards show, and love to have my hands free to drink, or talk on the cellular, or play the PS2. I would never go back to 5spd. I'm more of a laid back, cruisin' type person, and switching the gears becomes a pain in the *** after about 6 months of driving it.
come on! you seriously want people to believe that an auto is only 1/10th slower... any common sense would tell you that the gear ratio difference is what makes a 5spd at least a full second faster on the quater mile, its not so much about how fast you shift as it is about your gear ratios. I can respect that as more of a show car you like an auto better, but don't try and claim that they are anything close to the same in performance.
Old 01-03-2001, 06:36 AM
Die4her

Definately get an auto....i have a 97 SE and f**kin love it!!!! NOt to mention you get to hold the girlies hand while your driving.

Old 01-03-2001, 06:40 AM

Originally posted by Die4her
NOt to mention you get to hold the girlies hand while your driving.
awww... how cute... I guess this is the best answer to your auto vs. stick question:

If you want to DRIVE your maxima, then get a 5spd.

If you want to HOLD HANDS in your maxima, get the slushbox
Old 01-03-2001, 06:43 AM
Die4her

Lighten up Blue, just having a good time. I gave my opinion.

Old 01-03-2001, 06:44 AM

I like my auto 75% of the time-->>

It's always nice to know how to drive a stick(it teaches character#:>). My first two cars were stick and it wasn't until I started working in the city that I got tired of it... If I didn't have such a time consuming commute, due to stop and go traffic, I would still have a stick..
Old 01-03-2001, 07:16 AM

I don't understand why any of you auto people spend money on stuff like CAI, YPipe, etc. I've driven both a stick and auto before and trust me the 5spd is more than minimally faster. It plain hauls a$$ over the auto. Autos stop pulling hard at about 110-120, my 5spd pulls strong all the way to 150+
Old 01-03-2001, 07:26 AM

What does that have to do with spending money-->>

on mods??? Maybe some auto owners want to go faster plus not have to shift gears in traffic to them it maybe trying to get the best of both worlds.... I personally don't think any maxima Auto or 5spd is actually "fast"/"quick" that is what sports cars are for.. But to each his own..

Originally posted by BrianV
I don't understand why any of you auto people spend money on stuff like CAI, YPipe, etc. I've driven both a stick and auto before and trust me the 5spd is more than minimally faster. It plain hauls a$$ over the auto. Autos stop pulling hard at about 110-120, my 5spd pulls strong all the way to 150+
Old 01-03-2001, 07:34 AM
dot dot dot ...

I like my auto!! it's not bad, would prefer the 5spd, but am happy w/ the auto.
Old 01-03-2001, 07:54 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Hehe...a auto is only 1/10 of a second slower in the 1/4 mile? Ummm...okay. I guess there is some truth to that because "most" 5 speed owners don't know how to drive. I will tell you this though, when I race auto Max's, it's pretty amazing how hard I jump them off the line. Honestly, I get better races out of Neon R/Ts than I do out of stock automatic Maximas.

When looking at Maxima's, I drove one automatic just for fun. It wasn't slow, but it wasn't like the 5 speed in anyway, shape, or form. They drive like two completely different cars. I knew I was gonna get a 5 speed because I have a rule. The only auto I will ever buy is a GM automatic like the one used in my old 94 Z28. They've got great gearing that works very well with the big V8s. The Maxima needs all the torque multiplication it can get and the automatic doesn't do that.

If you do want the automatic, there are ways to make a bit quicker and will probably outrun many lightly modded 5 speed Maximas. You will need some serious tranny work. Get the valve-body upgrade to quicken shifts and add a high stall torque converter. Then get a y-pipe, intake, B-pipe, and run LIGHTWEIGHT wheels no larger than 16". Heavy wheels like 17s and 18s will really slow you down...believe me. Expect to pay $2000 in tranny work alone and another $1800 in wheels and engine mods. This set up could probably land you in the upper 14s. Or you could just get a 5 speed and be running upper 14s wih just y-pipe, b-pipe, and intake.

Dave
Old 01-03-2001, 08:01 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

5-speed

IMO 5-speeds are cooler and more fun to drive. on the other hand i have been stuck in atlanta traffic and that sucked. but when their was an open lane ... stand by... 5SPEEDS NO WAITING.
Old 01-03-2001, 08:16 AM

having had....

a 3rd gen 5-spd and now a 4th-gen auto. I must say I really preferred driving the manual tranny. Driving the stick just makes the car feel faster and you can get every bit of the redline if you need it. I bought the auto because of my looong commute to work every day but now I really regret it since I travel mostly back roads to get there.
Old 01-03-2001, 08:25 AM

I used to have a five speed 3rd gen. Now I have a auto 4th gen. Tell you the truth I do regret getting an auto but I had no choice..
Old 01-03-2001, 08:53 AM

I have a 98 GLE auto. Since I prefer to think of my car as luxury w/ performance, I like have the auto tranny. That doesn't mean I wouldn't add an intake or whatever though. If I had a smaller car like the IS300 or 3series, then I'd opt for a manual tranny.
Old 01-03-2001, 08:59 AM

Well Brian had a point about how autos dont push in high speeds, but that is due to the overdrive. The overdrive is not comparable to the fifth gear in any way. I'll give you that. But after a bunch of tranny work, I bet it would be close in a 1/4 mile. Really the fact is a 5spd is more fun to drive and it gives you th impression that you are going faster than you really are. It also has a little bit more hp. But if a person who is very good at controlling an auto is racing a person who sucks at stick, the auto will when. Its all about shift points and quickness of shifts and how long the car is in nuetral.
Old 01-03-2001, 09:07 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

BrianV

my 5spd pulls strong all the way to 150+
How do u know you r going 150+ when the speedometer goes only up to 140? Or did somebody clock u at that speed?

I don't regret that i got auto, enjoy it every time I get stuck in Boston traffic. Auto has many advantages, like when u talking on the cell phone, messing with yer radio/cds, and so on...
Old 01-03-2001, 09:12 AM
ybelm620

5-spd forever

hey you get what rocks your boat, but for me i will probably never ever get an automatic automobile again in my life if i have power over that. People are saying that it is time consumiong and tiresome with a stick in the city, totally not true. How long does it take to sink the clutch and downshift and or upshift not even a second. No one can tell me tiresome unless you live in New York City, which i do, and it really doesn't bother. The other reason I say go with the 5-spd is that it will burn less gas than an automatic and that is a fact. Any car that is 5-spd vs it automatic twin burns less fuel. They are faster and you will feel like you have more control to the car. You save your brakes more because you can downshift, and if you are buying your max new from the dealer, you will save from $500-$700 less on an se 5-spd than say you wanted an automatic. So that is my two cents and again 5-SPD VS AUTOMATIC WINNER IS 5-SPD.

Old 01-03-2001, 09:29 AM
Former Sponsor

It all depends!

You won't be disapointed, the auto max is very fun to drive and when your in traffic you don't even have to think about the car. My auto max pulls very hard up to 130+ MPH, and I don't have any apgrades yet, so if you don't want to learn how to drive a stick, go with the auto.

P.s. you can allways rent a cheap car and learn how to drive a stick without messing up your friends cars!!!!
Old 01-03-2001, 09:34 AM

I can't believe no one has stated the obvious answer...

do what I did. When I went to buy a car, I drove both a '95SE 5spd and a '95SE auto - I bought the auto. Although yes there are many times I wish I have a 5spd, I agree w/ whoever said 75% of the time the auto is nicer. Unless I am racing or driving crazy for fun or something like that, I am glad I have my auto. Whoever said they stop pulling at 110 or so, that was stupid. First of all, how often are you at that speed that you would decide what kind of car by that, and 2nd of all, I can tell you from plenty of experience that the car doesn't stop pulling there. I got a speeding ticket at 130mph, and trust me, the car was still pulling AWESOME! The maxima SE auto has a great tranny, it shifts smooth when your not gunning it, but when you do step on it, it provides clean/tight shifts, that are fast. I have driven plenty of other cars, autos and 5spds, such as porsches, and there are big differences in other cars on how they feel. The maxima se, I don't think there is a very big difference on how they feel when you are driving them, and again like I said I drove both 5spds and autos a lot, both '95SE's so I have experience to speak. Thats my opinion - go out and drive both, then make your decision, just keep in mind all that goes on in a busy life while you are driving. If I get another car and kepp this one it will be a 5spd, if I SELL this car and get another one it will be an auto.
Old 01-03-2001, 10:10 AM

If most of your driving is on the freeway the stick is a better choice since you don't do much shifting unless you want to.

Manual gets better performance and gas milage, so what do you want from your car?
Old 01-03-2001, 10:17 AM

The idea of test driving both is a good one. That's what I did. As soon as I drove the 5-Speed after the automatic my decision was made real easy. 5-Speed all the way. As far as traffic is concerned, that's not a big deal. In fact I like the manual better. You can keep it in first at idle without touching the gas peddle and be rollin' along at 2 mph, even up hills(gotta love torque). And then accelerate or take your foot off the gas and glide and never have to touch the breaks. As long as the traffic is moving, even creeping along, there is no hassle to having the manual transmission.

'98 SE 5-Speed Sterling Mist
Old 01-03-2001, 10:55 AM

There is another point some must consider. My wife
cannot drive a 5 speed! That coupled with Dallas
rush hour traffic was enough for me to choose the auto.
Besides, the auto is ALMOST as quick as the 5 speed,
thanks to the VB mod from Don...

BTW, I had a 1990 MR2 Turbo 5 speed and in Dallas
traffic, I always had a sore left leg... but boy
was that little thing quick!

BB
Old 01-03-2001, 11:43 AM

I have an auto, but I would prefer a manual. Sure, an auto has it's advantages such as holding your girl, eating in the car, talking on the phone, etc. However, when it comes down to it, a manual is hard to beat. It take skills to drive a manual. With an auto, how hard can it be? Just step on the gas, doesn't require real skills. It just depends on what you need/want. For the guy who said the auto doesn't pull hard after 110mph., or something like that. You're wrong my friend. Maybe it has something to do with mine model being the SE model, and I can tell you even with an auto, it still pulls hard after 110mphs. And for the person who said why we auto owners even bother putting stuff like y-pipe, cai, etc. on our cars? That's just stupid statement IMO. What do you mean why? Those mods make a big difference, especially if you add in a VB upgrade, and high stall torque converter into an auto. Sure, an auto is definitely slower than a manual, there's no doubt about that. However, with a manual, you better be pretty good, or don't make a mistake. If you're racing an auto, and you miss a shift, or not great with a manual, you'll lose. Having said that, I seen some people that are just horrible with a manual. I mean, what's the point in getting one if you not really good at it? If I had a manual, I would go out, and practice my butt off to be really good at it. Still though, a manual is the only way to go if you want to use your car's full potential. People driving an auto is like how we drive Maximas. If we really want speed, we wouldn't have got a Maxima in the first place, right? In the end, it's up to whatever pleases you. My next car will most definitely be a manual. If you have a girlfriend/wife who can't drive a manual, you know what? Just teach her. Case solved.
Old 01-03-2001, 12:13 PM

Rrrrrrriiiiggghhhhttttttt.........hehe.
Old 01-03-2001, 12:33 PM
Maximus04

Originally posted by Die4her
Definately get an auto....i have a 97 SE and f**kin love it!!!! NOt to mention you get to hold the girlies hand while your driving.
lol hell yea man. thats another reason

Old 01-03-2001, 12:39 PM
Maximus04

MODs in autos?

MODs.. what kind of Mods can u put in a auto to make it improve its speed and comfort/ride?? But what's the point to put MODs in a auto, i heard it doesnt really even make a difference. Brianv knows a lot, i listen to him, cause Mods are made for the 5spd not auto.

So what kind of MODS do u peeps put in your autos?

Old 01-03-2001, 01:48 PM

I know the car is cable of over 150 mph because of mathematical calculations. I know I'm putting down 190 horsepower to the wheels with my Cat Converter. Knowing that redlining 5th gear is 160 mph due to the 5th gear and final drive ratio. There are advanced mathematical formuals taking in tire sizes, engine horsepower, vehicle weight, and gearing.

Also I know of people getting there cars way past 140 with these mods. A stock 5spd does 143 and since most mods are uptop HP mods than 150 is completely feasible with these mods. However 130 is where my friend's GLE just completely gives up.
Old 01-03-2001, 02:26 PM
jsmiam

I love my 5 speed, but I have a short and easy commute to work too. If I had a long drive in rush hour stop and go, I'd probably get an Auto.

The other big topic, one I can attest to first hand, is that a 5 speed will be harder to sell than an Auto. Half the population doesn't know how to drive a 5 speed, and yes, a 5 speed Maxima is quite an uncommon car, outside of the types of people that belong to maxima.org.

Old 01-03-2001, 02:50 PM

I live in LA and commute in traffic 2-3 times a week (the bumper to bumper kind for extended periods of time). What non-stick drivers don't realize is that after a certain point shifting becomes second nature. Also the Maxima has a very good first gear for traffic. You can literally idle in first gear and not have to depress the clutch. If you keep enough space in front of you, you'll find you rarely have to actually clutch in. Even when I clutch in and out I don't even think about it.
Old 01-03-2001, 02:59 PM

AUTO IS NOT THAT BAD

I have a SE LIMITED AUTO and its not that bad...i mean, its powerful and all, i mean this is enough...if u want some speed and power just kick in OVERDRIVE...
Old 01-03-2001, 03:40 PM

I have a auto 99 max. Yes some people dont know how to drive stick that well but then again there are some who can. The auto max is anywhere from 2/10's sec to 1/2sec slower then stick. An auto max is about as fast as a stick from 0-60FT.... Feet. other then that, once they hit 3rd (stick) they are gone.

I also drive stick all day.. my work truck (S10). I drive in all kinds of weather (not by choice) and in a lot of traffic too. I personally like auto better.

If you do go w/ auto, get the Valve Body upgrade. Faster shifts, last longer, and takes up to 6/10sec off the q-mile.
Old 01-03-2001, 04:01 PM

hmmm

maybe your friends GLE stops pullin cuz it is a GLE....

i mean $hit ive hit 132-135 and i slowed down cus a ran out of room.....

thats plenty fast... and if i had to do it again i would get a Stick M3! now that is a car that if you get an auto in your askin for a beating =)
Old 01-03-2001, 04:23 PM

auto vs manual

Originally posted by Dave B
Hehe...a auto is only 1/10 of a second slower in the 1/4 mile? Ummm...okay. I guess there is some truth to that because "most" 5 speed owners don't know how to drive. I will tell you this though, when I race auto Max's, it's pretty amazing how hard I jump them off the line. Honestly, I get better races out of Neon R/Ts than I do out of stock automatic Maximas.

When looking at Maxima's, I drove one automatic just for fun. It wasn't slow, but it wasn't like the 5 speed in anyway, shape, or form. They drive like two completely different cars. I knew I was gonna get a 5 speed because I have a rule. The only auto I will ever buy is a GM automatic like the one used in my old 94 Z28. They've got great gearing that works very well with the big V8s. The Maxima needs all the torque multiplication it can get and the automatic doesn't do that.

Dave
I agree completely. The 5-speed and auto max are completely different cars. I test drove a 97 SE auto and I wasn't impressed all. Didn't really launch off the line, and I did a 2-1 downshift by going WOT at about 30mph. I expected it to take off.....it didn't. To the auto's credit, this car had a missing BOSE head, a steering wheel vibration and probably had 87 octane. Then I test drove a manual GXE. I believe it was a 95. Since it was a test drive with my dad and the salesman there, I didn't get into it, so the performance didn't feel any different. To add to that, I totally wasn't impressed with the car (GXE....you know, crappy stereo, cloth, no sunroof, etc. etc.). So I found a loaded 96 SE 5-speed up in Springfield Mass that we went to test drive. I got into it a lot more and was TOTALLY impressed. That is the key during the test drive, guys. Mash on it through 1st and I guarantee your jaw will drop (unless you just got out of a Z28 or something similarly ballsy).

Loaded SE 5-speed is the way to go!

Quick Reply: How many people regret buying an auto Maxima OR does anyone have one and like it???