4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How many people regret buying an auto Maxima OR does anyone have one and like it???

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2001, 06:36 PM
bhambill

I bought the first auto trans I've had in 20 years because I was tired of dealing with the 5 spd in traffic. The car's great and I was able to win my class in autocross this year. NOBODY could believe how they were getting thrashed by a stock, automatic Maxima. Get what fits best for your life.

Old 01-03-2001, 06:43 PM
Max30GV

Hi,
I have Auto and am quite happy with that. As I know Maxima has some problems with manual/clutch.
But... if you like "agressive"/sporty ride - go with manual, of if you like relixing on cruising - got auto.

Old 01-03-2001, 08:17 PM
maximalvr

yes, I wish I got a anual.......

Old 01-03-2001, 08:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: MODs in autos?

Originally posted by Maximus04
MODs.. what kind of Mods can u put in a auto to make it improve its speed and comfort/ride?? But what's the point to put MODs in a auto, i heard it doesnt really even make a difference. Brianv knows a lot, i listen to him, cause Mods are made for the 5spd not auto.

So what kind of MODS do u peeps put in your autos?
Mods are made for a 5spd., but not for an auto? LOL! You got any facts behind that ludicrous idea? It's like saying why do you bother putting mods in a Maxima at all. What's the point, the Maxima isn't a sport car. See what I mean? Nothing personal, but to those of who thinks putting mods in an auto is pointless, you're crazy. So, I guess if I put a supercharger in my auto, it won't make a difference, huh? Since, after all, my car is an auto.
Old 01-03-2001, 09:00 PM

i wish i had a manual too

i have an auto gxe

i know how to drive a stick but my dad bought the car and he bought it auto (he knows stick too, but he thought i wouldnt want to drive manual!)

anyways, i just feel driving the auto is too boring and if you have a car with as nice an engine as the max, you should get a stick, to harness all its ability.

BUT if you dont know how to drive a stick and its inconvenient cuz other people who use your car dont know it either, then go with an auto. cuz it seems as if you are buying this car for practicality rather than just to cruise around.

I think the reason Nissan even offers the Max in a 5speed is becuase so many max drivers enjoy their cars. If you look around, very few "luxury" cars offer their 6 cylinders with 5speeds. So its just an option, depending on what kinda driver you are.
Old 01-03-2001, 09:23 PM

I think theres an advantage with both manual and auto, cause my first car was a manual 96 SE and my current car is a 99 se auto and I love it. I dont understand why theres so many people on here that are hating on auto Maximas.Are they or are they not a Maxima? Cause last time I checked it didnt say Manual Maxima Org.

MAX99
Old 01-03-2001, 09:26 PM
Maximus04

Prices drop?
What do u think will be the price rang this year for a "97 AUTO or MANUAL Maxima SE..

Old 01-03-2001, 11:07 PM
Maximus04

PRICE DROP or HOW MUCH?

Prices drop?
What do u think will be the price rang this year for a "97 AUTO or MANUAL Maxima SE..

Old 01-04-2001, 03:01 AM

I got an auto

I love it. Especially since I'm a lazy yet daring person. I live outside the city and rush hour is crazy... I dunno how ya'll standard people do it. Anyway as long as I can spank civics, Lexus', 5th Gen's, and other cars... I'm fine.
Old 01-04-2001, 06:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have owned 6 cars in the past, all 5 speed I HATED the thought of owning an automatic, just always seemed to be a lazy slow approach at driving, No fun at all! Now I bought a 2000 Auto Max, and I know it's not the fastest, coolest max around... but after driving 400,000 miles in 5 speeds mostly in traffic, I am ready to relax and enjoy the ride. I still hate it when I stomp the car and it can't figure out which gear to drop, everybody who drives 5 speeds knows that there is no competition to a driver who knows his car and exactly which gear to drop in a milisecond. No computer can keep up with a real driver, at least the Maxima has enough power to still be fun in an auto trans.. Otherwise I'd still be shifting!!
Blackmaxx
Old 01-04-2001, 07:55 PM

I've owend an auto, and now I have a 5-speed.

80% of the time, I wish my 2k was an auto.
Let's face it, our Maxima is a daily driver. If I can have only 1 Maxima, then I will pick an auto 10 out of 10 times.

We have to remember that cars exist for humans, not the other way around. Their purpose is to make our life more convenient. Auto Maxima does a superb job at that. If we got the Maxima just for the thrill of going fast, then it should be a 5-speed. But most of got the Maxima so that we can go get groceries, go out with friends, carry wife and babies, go watch a movie with 3 favorite buddies,......, and so on. We need to be able to do those things, in other words, enjoy life, with some speed and style. That is why we got the Maxima. Now, for the speed issue, I'm saving for a used Supra.

An auto Maxima is great. To be honest with you all, I'm now tired of shifting my 2k 5-speed. It is worse when I'm stuck in traffic.

And I haven't even mentioned that autos are not that much slower.

bottm line: If you really want all the speed you can get, then get a 5 speed.

If you can sacrifice a ltttle speed in exchange for more convenience, then get an auto.
Old 01-04-2001, 08:10 PM

Love the auto...

Considering I drive 200+ miles daily for work it's nice not to have to worry about shifting...especially when in the DC beltway rush-hour stop and go BS...your leg can get sore pushing the clutch...

I will admit there are times I'd rather have a manual though...
Old 01-04-2001, 08:13 PM

Let me just add a few things.

getting a turbo Supra, a Vette, Turbo Z, or any other cars like that in automatic doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

But getting a Maxima in automatic DO make some sense.

And let's not say crap like modding an auto Max is a waste of money, you can't even feel it, blah blah blah...That is just rude and has no decency at all. Not to mention that it is a very uneducated statement.

Auto Maximas really are not that bad, really. It can spank more than 90% of cars on the road.

For me, I want a auto Maxima monday through friday, and a 6-speed Supra on the weekends.

But before I save up, i'm gonna pretend my 5-speed Max is a Supra. But even when I get the Supra, I still have to drive a stick Monday through Friday. It sucks.
Old 01-04-2001, 10:18 PM

Like it, but will purchase a manual next time...
Old 01-05-2001, 08:32 AM
VampireKitty

Auto

I love my auto. But if I didnt have to drive in traffic, and rush hour morning and afternoon, then hell yeah I'd get a manual.

VK

Old 01-05-2001, 10:36 AM

Re: I've owend an auto, and now I have a 5-speed.

Originally posted by ArcticMax
80% of the time, I wish my 2k was an auto.
Let's face it, our Maxima is a daily driver. If I can have only 1 Maxima, then I will pick an auto 10 out of 10 times.

We have to remember that cars exist for humans, not the other way around. Their purpose is to make our life more convenient. Auto Maxima does a superb job at that. If we got the Maxima just for the thrill of going fast, then it should be a 5-speed. But most of got the Maxima so that we can go get groceries, go out with friends, carry wife and babies, go watch a movie with 3 favorite buddies,......, and so on. We need to be able to do those things, in other words, enjoy life, with some speed and style. That is why we got the Maxima. Now, for the speed issue, I'm saving for a used Supra.

An auto Maxima is great. To be honest with you all, I'm now tired of shifting my 2k 5-speed. It is worse when I'm stuck in traffic.

And I haven't even mentioned that autos are not that much slower.

bottm line: If you really want all the speed you can get, then get a 5 speed.

If you can sacrifice a ltttle speed in exchange for more convenience, then get an auto.
I know I exist for cars and that's why I drive sticks only. I drive a CL Type-S a lot and think the Maxima is a better car in every sense except for the CL-S front seats are real nice. The CL-s's auto sucks the most. It constantly has to downshift two gears to get any power. The car likes to operate at 1600-2000 RPM even at highway speeds. There is no throttle response on the car. Also, the damn auto shifts so long. The engagement periods are SO damn long on that car. I also drive a 98 4Runner Limited 4x4 and it's auto is pretty good. Nice, crisp, smooth shifts out of it. However, the 4Runner is heavily underpowered where the CL-S isn't. The CL-S is hands down the WORST automatic transmission I've ever driven. I've driven 80's domestics that have a better auto tranny than the CL-S. However, nothing is as quick as the 5Spd Maxima's shifting when I'm in the front seat. Also, the Maxima is so refined that even the 5spd is still an everyday vehicle. The clutch is soft enough, the throws are smooth, the position of the shifter is fine. Even in traffic I don't EVER regret getting a five speed. Also, there have been numerous times that people have got into my car, whether it mechanics, valet, or just passengers and they always say, "Damn a stick, this thing must bone out!!!" Then when girls ride in the car, "Oh stickshift. Damn I wish I could drive stick, it's just so complicated." It's flattery trust me. If you have the choice get the stick. All these people defending autos (except about 10% of the auto drivers) are driving auto because they're too lazy to learn or too scared to learn how to drive stick. No guy under 30 should be complaining about driving stick and how uncomfortable it is. To me it's like making music.

Maximus: I know you want auto because you don't want to learn how to drive stick. If there's any reason to buy an auto, that's the last damn reason. I'll go up there this Summer and visit Jerrin, Negi, and you and I'll friggin teach you 5spd. And if the reason is because your dad can't drive it in emergencies then I'll teach him too.

[Edited by BrianV on 01-05-2001 at 12:40 PM]
Old 01-05-2001, 10:43 AM

Comming from someone that has both

I drove an auto max for 30k miles and now I have a 5spd sentra. I know that if my max was a 5spd I would have enjoyed it alot more. There isn't alot of traffic that I get caught in but when I do its not hard on me. Of course it could be that my clutch is cable operated vs the hydrolic in the maxima. Keep in mind I had a higher stall torque convertor. It made take offs alot more fun but the problem with the auto's is the gearing. It is way to tall to be effectivly as/or quick as a 5spd. I too test drove an auto and 5spd 2000 maxima. From what I noticed the auto gave up quite abit of performance over the 5spd. I could see how other like the auto over the 5spd. But I can tell you this for sure, when the auto goes bad its way more expensive and it almost never performs like new. Right now I believe that if the auto had an optional shorter final gear, it would make accelerate alot faster. The only thing about auto's I hate is that you have to use alot more pedal to get decent shift points. Unless you manually shift but that gets tiresome. But I do know that if an auto had like a 4.10 final gear, higher stall torque convertor, VB mod it would take a 5spd no prob. But even with just a TC and VB upgrade you still have the tall gearing. What does all this mean? Buy a smaller car with a 5spd if you have an auto max hehe.
Old 01-05-2001, 11:05 AM
I'm needing a caw

I just turned 33 and I drive a 5-sp 3-gen VE w/ lotsa mods. My wife can't drive 5-sp either. Even now, there's no way I would really want to drive an auto max. Maybe an auto that had 5 sps or a triptronic type tranny but not an auto maxima. Nothing like dropping down 2 gears at 70 mph and dropping the hammer up to 95 and catching 4th gear. You 5-sp guys know what I mean!
Old 01-05-2001, 11:18 AM

I know what you mean. I did it last night on the freeway. Some 95-96 SE with blue headlights and some ricey mods was driving. I pulled up on side to let him know what's up, and I let him experience a 5spd pulling on the freeway. Needless to say I pulled HARD on him. Even though I have quite a few noticable mods, I know the reason I got him was mainly the 5spd. On the freeway the 5spd and the auto are two different cars. The auto would need an additional 50HP to perform like a 5spd in 5th gear.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Cumalot
Mods are made for a 5spd., but not for an auto? LOL! You got any facts behind that ludicrous idea? It's like saying why do you bother putting mods in a Maxima at all. What's the point, the Maxima isn't a sport car. See what I mean? Nothing personal, but to those of who thinks putting mods in an auto is pointless, you're crazy. So, I guess if I put a supercharger in my auto, it won't make a difference, huh? Since, after all, my car is an auto.
...So true. Yea an intake, y & b pipe, supercharger/turbo, cam mods have nooooo bearing on an autos HP. .
I thought that was pretty funnny as well.

BTW, i love my Auto. It's luxiourious(?) and pulls hard. I'd love a manuel as well but either one has it's pros and cons...it's all personal preferance.

Last edited by Bassbreaker; 12-19-2008 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:19 AM

Auto all the way.

I don't feel more manly by putting my hand around a **** (that isn't attached to me) and yanking it periodically.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bassbreaker
...So true. Yea an intake, y & b pipe, supercharger/turbo, cam mods have nooooo bearing on an autos HP. .

BTW, i love my Auto. It's luxiourious(?) and pulls hard. I'd love a manuel as well but either one has it's pros and cons...it's all personal preferance.
Dood, check the date of this thread...

Old 12-19-2008, 07:25 AM

If this thread had been made 10 years ago I would definitely say go for a manual transmission. Now, things have changed. You have automatic sport-mode (manual mode) transmissions which will shift faster than any human being can possibly shift (Lexus' Sport Direct Shift, Mitsubishi's Twin Clutch SST automated manual, Volkswagen's DSG transmission, &c.). In all honesty I'm even inclined to say that a CVT automatic would blow chumps off the road if it didn't have a 'limp mode' when you slap the car around a bit too much. Heck, the base SE-R has 25 whp less than the Spec V and because it has a constant rev (doesn't lose rpm when shifting, because it doesn't shift) it's only .4 seconds or so slower than the Spec V in the quarter mile.

Performance is definitely not an argument nowadays when it comes to manual vs. automatic. If you want a daily driver that you can slap around every now and then get an automatic with a sport mode. If you're performance-oriented and want to have more fun while you're driving, get a manual transmission. In all honesty, though, the only argument manual tranny people have nowadays is that they prefer to shift their own gears. I don't. I never have and I never will.

Choice is yours. Either choice is a good one, really.

P.S.: The mods are the same for both auto and manual trannies. I don't think I'd mod out a newer Maxima too much because of that CVT tranny. I may be wrong but I've heard that it can cause hell. And yeah, old thread.

Last edited by Maximillionaire; 12-19-2008 at 07:27 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Bassbreaker

why has thou bumped a 2001 thread... the OGs have been summoned back (via email notification) ahead of the planned time.... lol

Last edited by theblue; 12-19-2008 at 07:30 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:08 AM

Holy old a$$ thread batman!
Old 12-19-2008, 09:01 AM

this one gets my vote for bump of the year
Old 12-19-2008, 09:07 AM

Hey guess ill jump in here. Get both lol.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Maximillionaire
If this thread had been made 10 years ago I would definitely say go for a manual transmission.
it almost was made 10 years ago
Old 12-19-2008, 10:29 AM

Didn't notice the date there.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:24 PM

It's been a long time...

since I've had a Max. How times have changed. Good to see such an active community still. Peace to all.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

autos suck. i'm really dissapointed with mine. they have too many problems when you reach higher miles.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:45 PM

my gle is jus about broke at 101,xxx. i would perfer manuel, nxt car i get will be but im 18 and i like ripping through gears. never driven stick in the city but would like it over auto bc of slight performece gains and mods u can do and more control over the car. but auto is good if u jus wanna focus on driving or something else
Old 08-01-2009, 02:13 PM

make me a mod so i can ban anyone that bumps 8 year old threads!!!!
Old 08-01-2009, 03:20 PM

i have had 2 maximas first a 98 se stick and now a 97 GLE auto i dont see too much of a diffrence between them except i relax more with the automatic
Old 08-01-2009, 04:20 PM

lazy people drive autos, people who want to be aggresive drivers drive a stick. lock this frickin thread up allready, jebus.....
Old 08-01-2009, 04:36 PM

oh my god... STOP BUMPING ANCIENT THREADS!
Old 08-01-2009, 04:52 PM

Auto or Stick your still driving a MAXIMA. If you want to go fast and die young go for the Stick or get an Auto like me and stunt on *****'s hard body Dont get me wrong I love my Stick Maxima's but I own a 95 GLE auto and that **** can push. I dont like to race but if someone wants to test me ill blow them out.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:25 PM

Old 08-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

In B4 Lock.

I'd prefer a Manual but I have an Auto VLSD so I can't complain. No embarrassing one wheel burnouts like most of you Manual's
Old 08-01-2009, 08:45 PM

Manual is FUN DRIVING
Auto is COMFORTABLE DRIVING

You chooooooose

Quick Reply: How many people regret buying an auto Maxima OR does anyone have one and like it???