4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need Help Choosing New Tires For 1998 Maxima Se

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 07:38 AM

Need Help Choosing New Tires For 1998 Maxima Se

Well its that time to change the stock tires for my 1998 Nissam Maxima SE. I wasn't too crazy about the factory goodyears that were on my car so I'm looking into other makes. Any suggestions. I don't really care too much about high performance and handling. I do mostly highway driving. I do care about ride comfort, low noise, and long tread life. Also living in Canada I definitly need the tire to be all season with good snow traction. Here is the size of my tire.. P215/55R16. I was told to go with alteast a H rated tire. I was thinking about the Michelin® Energy MXV4® Plus. Also considering the TOYO PROXES TPT and the YOKOHAMA AVIDT4( But this is only a T rated tire). Any suggestion or help in choosing a tire would be most appreciated!

Thanks Everyone and Happy Holidays!
Old 12-24-2002, 07:51 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

it would be best if you search
Old 12-24-2002, 08:45 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Re: Need Help Choosing New Tires For 1998 Maxima Se

Originally posted by ShowGun
Well its that time to change the stock tires for my 1998 Nissam Maxima SE. I wasn't too crazy about the factory goodyears that were on my car so I'm looking into other makes. Any suggestions. I don't really care too much about high performance and handling. I do mostly highway driving. I do care about ride comfort, low noise, and long tread life. Also living in Canada I definitly need the tire to be all season with good snow traction. Here is the size of my tire.. P215/55R16. I was told to go with alteast a H rated tire. I was thinking about the Michelin® Energy MXV4® Plus. Also considering the TOYO PROXES TPT and the YOKOHAMA AVIDT4( But this is only a T rated tire). Any suggestion or help in choosing a tire would be most appreciated!

Defiantely search, but off of the top of my head, the main 2 contenders recently have been the Dunlop SP Sport A2 and the Sumitomo HTR+. Look into not only your current 215-55-16 size, but also a 225-50-16.

When yo ugo to buy, my suggestion would be to get rate quotes from online merchants like www.tirerack.com and then print the quotes. You can take them to a local Sears or National Tire and Battery (NTB) and they will match the price. This will save you time, plus if you ever have a problem, you don't have to ship the tires back to an online merchant. If money is no object, then ignore that part of my suggestion.

The moral of the story is that there are a LOT of good tires in that size for far upwards of $130 each. I paid $350 for my HRT+ tires, and love them. Had I had a little more money, I would be on the dunlops, but that is not the case. A search in the general maxima forum with the terms "tires" and "suggest*" will give you tons of results.
Old 12-24-2002, 08:54 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Start here.
Old 12-24-2002, 09:59 AM
xarfox

www.tirerack.com

i have had a set of Yokohama avid h4 (awesome)15"
i have a set of Toyo Proxes Fz4 (also awesome)17"

Old 12-24-2002, 10:22 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

DUNLOP SP SPORT A2

that's all the tire you will ever need.

just search for that name and you'll see countless good feedback.
Old 12-24-2002, 12:26 PM

if you care about ride quality gofo sumitomos
Old 12-24-2002, 05:19 PM

After replacing the Eagles, I tried the Michelin Energy MXV4 and those serve pretty well as an everyday tire. I just got some H rated Kumho Ecstas for my Maxima and they have been great so far, I would suggest looking into those. Anyhow, go to Tirerack.com and take a look at all the reviews for H rated tires to help you decide. Good luck.
Old 12-24-2002, 08:03 PM

I have on now Nankang 225/45r-17 with 17" rims and the ride is pretty cumfy. They're not really performance tires, they're more for everyday driving but they do handle much better than my stock firehawk's and hubs. I say go with these if don't care much for performance. The price is right too
Old 12-24-2002, 08:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

tires

go with kumho hp4 716 63$ at www.tirerack.com
they are very quiet,and handle great - I just tried them in snow today - felt great much mor control than old michellins mvx4
best tire for Your dollar !!!!
Merry X-mass
Nick
Old 12-24-2002, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
DUNLOP SP SPORT A2

How do these things handle in the snow and rain?
Old 12-24-2002, 08:26 PM

Also living in Canada I definitly need the tire to be all season with good snow traction.
Hey fellow Canuck: Where in Canada are you? You should drop by the Cdn. forum. Nokian Tyres Hakkapalita (sp) NRWs are really good in the water/snow/ice being heavily siped. In that regard, they're much better than my Toyo FZ4's. It's not a soft rubber compound so it's good in the summer in the dry also. I can't really comment on how quiet they are given my exhaust system is pretty loud.

Merry Xmas!
Old 12-24-2002, 10:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I was thinking about the Michelin® Energy MXV4® Plus.
I had those tires on my old 15" rims. They had awesome wet traction. At the end of their life I could still go down the interstate in downpours and not hydroplane. The only problem I had with them was that I only got 35k miles out of them, mine had a 60k mile warranty. I do live in a very hilly area and do a lot of stop and go driving. When I bought new rims I got some Yoko AVSES100's and love them but they probably wouldn't be good for you since you have snow and ice. Good luck.
Old 12-25-2002, 04:15 PM

I've had B-stone LST's on all 4 for about 6 months...Love 'em! Paid about $400 total too.

Cut thru water like a knife and corner well...

IMHO...
Old 12-25-2002, 06:49 PM

Kumho 716

The Kumho 716 has an excellent track record. It's an all season tire with a 380 treadwear, and has excellent feedback from the customers at tirerack.

Below are the sizes and pricing. Oh, they don't list the 215/55/16, but do list the 225/55/16. The difference in size is not even significant, (0.3" taller) and the price is only $63. The Dunlops are $91 each. I can buy them installed and balanced from the local tire store for $84 each... which is about what shipping and installation would cost going through tirerack... without the hassle!

They are going through a name change on the tires. They are removing the 'ectsa' part of the name, and just calling them the Kumho HP4 716. Tirerack still has both listings, so if one show out of stock, refer to the other.

Here are all of the sizes and prices...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes....=Ecsta+HP4+716

Here are the condensed customer survey results...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....tnum=255HR6HP4

Below is Tirerack's personal survey (feedback) from their customers on this tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surve...ommentStatus=P

The Dunlop A2's are also excellent tires.

Good Luck!
Old 12-26-2002, 07:46 PM

Dunlop SP Sport A2's seem to be very good...just had four of them put on this past monday...replaced four Dunlop D60 A2's, which I was also very impressed with. The D60's lasted about 35,000 miles with some fairly agressive handling, held the road well. Took the car out in the melting snow and slush today...the new tires feel great.

Had a set of Pirelli HP's before the D60's, the Pirelli's were a major disapointment, especially in the rain.

Originally posted by 98BlaximaSE

How do these things handle in the snow and rain?
Old 12-29-2002, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by ReichMax97
After replacing the Eagles, I tried the Michelin Energy MXV4 and those serve pretty well as an everyday tire. I just got some H rated Kumho Ecstas for my Maxima and they have been great so far, I would suggest looking into those. Anyhow, go to Tirerack.com and take a look at all the reviews for H rated tires to help you decide. Good luck.
I agree about the Michelin Energy MXV4s. When I got my max these were the tires. Don't know if they were original equipment or not but when I bought my max it had 49K on it. I have 92K on the MXV4s so they seem to wear well BUT I think they are an everyday tire. I live in Georgia so I don't need a mud or snow tire so I'm looking at the Yoko AVES100s. Everything I've seen on them indicate they are an awesome tire. Seems like the Dunlop A2s have a good following too but then again, don't need an all season tire here. Just need one that sticks like glue and can handle the rain. Cheers
Old 12-29-2002, 07:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
DUNLOP SP SPORT A2

hey nyce maxima, is that really the color of your car in your sig? looks very nice

now time for some lowering springs