4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Why can't I have a twin turbo 4th gen....

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 05:00 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Why can't I have a twin turbo 4th gen....

First off, ANYTHING is possible with enough money. That being said, for $4000, a twin turbo maxima is not feasable to the everyday consumer, period. How many of you have SERIOUSLY researched turbo kits, the insides and outs, cost of piping, pricing turbos, specs, compressors, wastegates, etc? Mandrel bending? How many have ever placed a real turbo into there car, and seen how much space the turbo alone takes up in the maxima's small engine bay? Now add in the fact that you must run 3 pipes and an intake to each turbo. No problem you say? What about the single MAF? How do you route the air for two turbo's through one MAF? Do you also factor in that the MAF on the maxima will probably only take you to around 400 hp before you start to max it out. You want to get your ecu reproggramed to use a mustang maf? JWT is the only company that does that, add another $600 at least to your cost, and you better have a 95-96 max, because they don't have an application for the 97+. Your also gonna need new fuel injectors if you go that high. If your not planning on running that kind of power, what do you need two turbo's for? Because the Supra has them? The supra has two turbo's to circumvent smog laws. They are inline with one another, sequential. There is a smaller one and a larger one, the smaller one chokes the larger one as you turn up the boost, which is why most supra owners go single turbo, or a megabuck ($6000+) true twin turbo system, each one feeding 3 cylinders. We also only have one throttle body. You gonna stuff all that air into that one small throttle body? Yeah, that'll make some power... Lets talk about where your going to run all this piping. It's no secret that you can use a reverse Y-pipe to feed the single turbo setup, but exhaust routing is tight, and you need a good exhaust shop. You can also run piping up from the rear bank, but there isn't room to fit everything that way if you try a twin turbo system, you may fit a single exhaust out, but not two. If you combine the exhaust, why have two turbo's, it'll be the same as one? Everyone is just so quick to hop on the twin turbo maxima issue all the time, when they haven't taken the time to see what all it really entails. Hell, there are two single turbo kits out there now, and I don't see everyone hopping on them. You want a reason why many people say it can't be done, well there it is. These are just my opinions, based on facts from over two years research into turbocharging, talking with other turbo maxima members, and actually placing a turbo in my car to see how much room it takes up. Ive also priced out all the exhaust tubing, including manderal bends that run up to $40 each... It's just not worth it to try and use two turbo's, let it go...
Old 12-16-2002, 06:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Someone, please FAQ this....
Old 12-16-2002, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by Weasel
Old 12-16-2002, 07:08 PM
Ramius83

Old 12-16-2002, 07:21 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

before FAQ'ing it, break it up into different paragraphs it's easier to grasp. Very nice write up!
Old 12-16-2002, 07:46 PM

Well said man, I'm with you 100%
Old 12-16-2002, 08:49 PM

And stickied above the 'other' thread,
...while your at it, print it out and give it to that shop in NJ.
Old 12-17-2002, 02:41 AM
Ludicrous Speed

this changes a lot of things...

pikachu... popcorn attack now!

well, at least the VQ has actually been TwinTurboed... just not in a Maxima
Old 12-17-2002, 06:20 AM

FAQ it......or FOK it ....
Old 12-17-2002, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by max002

well, at least the VQ has actually been TwinTurboed... just not in a Maxima
Exactly. So each one of the issues mtrai raises can be addressed with enough time and money - but in the end you have to ask yourself is it worth it.
Old 12-17-2002, 08:06 AM

well said...

I think one thing is, most people want twin turbos just so they can say twin turbo. The thing is, on our car without building the engine to crazy specs plus tranny, etc, it would be hard to get any real gain from a twin turbo setup... a single turbo will supply the car with more than enough air to break and blow stuff up...

i just can't wait to see meccanoble's 4th gen TT and new warrantied engine, all for less than my kit
Old 12-17-2002, 08:08 AM
Ramius83

Originally posted by hlh0501

i just can't wait to see meccanoble's 4th gen TT and new warrantied engine, all for less than my kit
Are you playing around or are you completely serious?????

Old 12-17-2002, 08:42 AM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Originally posted by Ramius83

Are you playing around or are you completely serious????? :gome:
D'oh!

Old 12-17-2002, 08:48 AM
Ramius83

Originally posted by Craig Mack

D'oh!

Haha, thanks Craig. I know that he was playing because look who's name is in the post......

Old 12-17-2002, 09:11 AM
I'm so hood

Have people in this forum really been tryin to tug at the idea of a TT 4th-gen, or is that going on in the FI forums? I haven't really noticed anything...

Crap, just let them try if they really want to.

Wasn't mecca gonna get on the +500whp electronic e-bay supercharger plan? What happened?
Old 12-17-2002, 09:17 AM

This post should be meshed with the last one.
Old 12-17-2002, 09:32 AM

WOW!! I think thats alot of power for a FWD car. I sometimes lose control with my 190HP. JK.
Old 12-17-2002, 07:47 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

now if only Everyone would read this...
Old 12-17-2002, 08:40 PM
Sports Button FTW

Re: Why can't I have a twin turbo 4th gen....

Originally posted by mtrai760
First off, ANYTHING is possible with enough money. That being said, for $4000, a twin turbo maxima is not feasable to the everyday consumer, period. How many of you have SERIOUSLY researched turbo kits, the insides and outs, cost of piping, pricing turbos, specs, compressors, wastegates, etc? Mandrel bending? How many have ever placed a real turbo into there car, and seen how much space the turbo alone takes up in the maxima's small engine bay? Now add in the fact that you must run 3 pipes and an intake to each turbo. No problem you say? What about the single MAF? How do you route the air for two turbo's through one MAF? Do you also factor in that the MAF on the maxima will probably only take you to around 400 hp before you start to max it out. You want to get your ecu reproggramed to use a mustang maf? JWT is the only company that does that, add another $600 at least to your cost, and you better have a 95-96 max, because they don't have an application for the 97+. Your also gonna need new fuel injectors if you go that high. If your not planning on running that kind of power, what do you need two turbo's for? Because the Supra has them? The supra has two turbo's to circumvent smog laws. They are inline with one another, sequential. There is a smaller one and a larger one, the smaller one chokes the larger one as you turn up the boost, which is why most supra owners go single turbo, or a megabuck ($6000+) true twin turbo system, each one feeding 3 cylinders. We also only have one throttle body. You gonna stuff all that air into that one small throttle body? Yeah, that'll make some power... Lets talk about where your going to run all this piping. It's no secret that you can use a reverse Y-pipe to feed the single turbo setup, but exhaust routing is tight, and you need a good exhaust shop. You can also run piping up from the rear bank, but there isn't room to fit everything that way if you try a twin turbo system, you may fit a single exhaust out, but not two. If you combine the exhaust, why have two turbo's, it'll be the same as one? Everyone is just so quick to hop on the twin turbo maxima issue all the time, when they haven't taken the time to see what all it really entails. Hell, there are two single turbo kits out there now, and I don't see everyone hopping on them. You want a reason why many people say it can't be done, well there it is. These are just my opinions, based on facts from over two years research into turbocharging, talking with other turbo maxima members, and actually placing a turbo in my car to see how much room it takes up. Ive also priced out all the exhaust tubing, including manderal bends that run up to $40 each... It's just not worth it to try and use two turbo's, let it go...
your making a lot of sense...I'm the LAST ONE TO ARGUE ABOUT THIS, hell i barely know how to change my oil, let alone give pointers about turbo's. I just wanted to bring up that the twin turbo the shop i'm TALKING TO, not DOING BUSINESS WITH (had to let everyone know that ) says they are giving a BRAND NEW engine, which can take twin turbo's. This 'twin turbo setup' is not going to be put into our VQ engines in our cars. This was manufactured in Japan. Obviously, they must have look into some of this before creating it. Maybe this new engine will have two throttle bodies? all I'm saying is that this is not the average turbo thrown into our engines or atleast i don't think it is. Maybe these guys over came these obstacles and that's why it comes with a new engine. Maybe we can't just get the TT and put it in ours...maybe it has to come with a new engine that has solved all the problems u just presented about TT's....or maybe i'm wrong but i don't think we should be quick to say it can't be done or isn't worth it YET...I could be wrong though but this might have been some project made by people dealing with nissan or something, not just some turbo created by a person in his shop or basement...

hlh0501, this isn't my turbo, nor do i know anything about turbo's...i'm just a postwhore that informs everyone about everything new i get in my head...
Old 12-17-2002, 08:46 PM
Sports Button FTW

Re: Re: Why can't I have a twin turbo 4th gen....

Originally posted by meccanoble

your making a lot of sense...I'm the LAST ONE TO ARGUE ABOUT THIS, hell i barely know how to change my oil, let alone give pointers about turbo's. I just wanted to bring up that the twin turbo the shop i'm TALKING TO, not DOING BUSINESS WITH (had to let everyone know that ) says they are giving a BRAND NEW engine, which can take twin turbo's. This 'twin turbo setup' is not going to be put into our VQ engines in our cars. This was manufactured in Japan. Obviously, they must have look into some of this before creating it. Maybe this new engine will have two throttle bodies? all I'm saying is that this is not the average turbo thrown into our engines or atleast i don't think it is. Maybe these guys over came these obstacles and that's why it comes with a new engine. Maybe we can't just get the TT and put it in ours...maybe it has to come with a new engine that has solved all the problems u just presented about TT's....or maybe i'm wrong but i don't think we should be quick to say it can't be done or isn't worth it YET...I could be wrong though but this might have been some project made by people dealing with nissan or something, not just some turbo created by a person in his shop or basement...

hlh0501, this isn't my turbo, nor do i know anything about turbo's...i'm just a postwhore that informs everyone about everything new i get in my head...
oh and this kit also comes with an upgraded ECU...not sure what type and what year if it even pertains to that but that might solve some of the problems too....don't u agree?