4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Front Timing Cover O-Ring

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 04:10 PM

Front Timing Cover O-Ring

i went under my car today to replace my oil pressure switch because that is what i was told was leaking, but when i went under there i saw oil coming out of the front timing cover o-ring and the front crank seal that are just about the oil pressure switch. i took it to a shop and told them i have a oil leak. When they came back to me they confirmed they told me that the o-ring and the crank seal was leaking. I was then told that it would cost around $1410 to fix it. I almost blew an o-ring when they told me that. I don't understand how an o-ring and crank seal could cost that much. My question to you guys. Is this something i could fix myself and if it is how do i go about it.
Old 12-12-2002, 04:50 PM

i might have the same problem with my 96. i haven't gotten it checked but the mechanic thinks it may be that o-ring. they will be sure once they check it. they told me it may cost around $1500 to fix it. the reason it cost so much is because of the labor to get to that o-ring, they have to remove a bunch of stuff just to get to it.
i was consedering getting rid of my car but after talking to some of you guys i think i might stick with it.
it sucks, but if after fixin it it continues to run for many years with out any big problems, then it would be all worth it.
Old 12-12-2002, 08:05 PM

does anybody know what would i have to pull out to get to the part so that it can be fixed.
Old 12-13-2002, 07:45 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

the frotn output seal is easy...take the belts off and then take the engine pulley off, pry the seal out (carefully), pound in a new one (not always as easy as it sounds).....most of this work you do from teh passenger side fender well after you remove teh tire and take teh skirting out. if the seal is leaking you shoudl fix it, or it will wear a groove in the pulley and then the pulley will need to be replaced along with the seal to stop the leak

O-ring?? there's no o-ring on the timing cover. there is a weird little gasket between the upper oil pan and the timing chain cover....that would be a "less fun" fix...but still not bad....perhaps 3-4 hours....and most of that is time to "clean" all the parts before reassembly.

the seal of the timing chain cover to the engine is just a "form a gasket"....kind of a hard RTV/silicone sealant that gets applied to the cover before its put in place....removing and replacing that cover just to fix an oil leak would be costly...maybe $500-700...but $1500 is way high...1500 is more than my dealer quoted for replacing the timing chain. if the leak isn't so bad that you have to add oil between oil chains skip it.
Old 12-13-2002, 02:16 PM

got good news today i took it to another place to get it checked out again and they said that it was not leaking it was just the oil pressure switch which i was told was leaking in the very beginning. I really didn't feel like fixing it myself to i just paid $40 and got it fixed. hopefully that was it thanks a lot for all your help