4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

removing pin stripe

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 12:27 AM

removing pin stripe

how should i go about removing my pin stripe?
Old 12-12-2002, 05:28 AM
xarfox

i would also like to know

Old 12-12-2002, 05:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: removing pin stripe

Originally posted by magnum658
how should i go about removing my pin stripe?
I would use a hairdryer and set it on low. Heat it up a little but then slowly peel from the corner.. Just use some tar/bug remover gunk to get rid of the ahedsive residue. Then just use a little but of liquid wax to clear up any lines left over..
Old 12-12-2002, 06:19 AM

Re: Re: removing pin stripe

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K

I would use a hairdryer and set it on low. Heat it up a little but then slowly peel from the corner.. Just use some tar/bug remover gunk to get rid of the ahedsive residue. Then just use a little but of liquid wax to clear up any lines left over..

I guess I'm just dumb, I like my pinstripe, I think it sets the car off a little. I took one off my other Max and now wish I hadn't. I'm not going to pay someone to put it back on and my hands are not steady enough to put one on straight
Old 12-12-2002, 06:40 AM

Are any pinstripes painted on? My '99's seems painted on?
Old 12-12-2002, 07:03 AM

Originally posted by MAXimumHP
Mine were not, but they were a Biatch to take off. I just ended up using a lot of goo gone and my fingernails. Nice to have a G/F w/ longer nails. Just be careful not to scratch the paint!
Old 12-12-2002, 07:05 AM

Not that I know of......Could it have had a clear coat applied over the stripe? I really doubt it, unless the car was repainted at one time? see if you can get your fingernail under the front or rear edge, Like the previous post said heat it up a little with a hair drier first.......
2Maximas
Old 12-12-2002, 07:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yes, some pinstripes are painted on. They use a special roller with guard wheels on it to keep it even. It's a pretty spiffy tool, if you're into that kind of thing. Good luck getting them off if they're painted.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but pinstripes are a dealer or aftermarket option, right? My 99 had them as a dealer option package with mudflaps and one other thing, can't remember what. I like the look, personally. I had some crash damage repaired about a year ago, and I made sure they replaced the stripes!
Old 12-12-2002, 12:26 PM

I've tried to pry a little off with no success. My 97 I could easily peal a little away. If it is painted on, could it be wet sanded and buffed possibly.
Old 12-12-2002, 01:33 PM

Visit a detailer. They have special plastic "razor" blades that you use in conjunction with a hair dryer. The plastic won't slice through the paint, but it makes quick work of the pinstripe.
Old 12-12-2002, 02:01 PM

Don't put those tacky things back on!!

Originally posted by 2maximas

I guess I'm just dumb, I like my pinstripe, I think it sets the car off a little. I took one off my other Max and now wish I hadn't. I'm not going to pay someone to put it back on and my hands are not steady enough to put one on straight
Are there any maxes that did not come with the stripes? Mine does not have them and I think it looks awesome without them. I think they're tacky. I would not have my car any way but how it is. All white. Solid. I think it looks the sportiest that way. The stripes just make it look more like a family sedan. But if it is true that all of the maxes (at least 97-99) came with pin stripes, that means that mine has either been repainted before I got it or the previous owner opted to have them removed. If it has been repainted, I would be worried cause that could mean that it was in need of the paint job because of the accident when carfax and the dealership told me the history was clean as a whistle. Anywho, the car has given me virtually no trouble, minus the ill-fated alternator that I replaced 3 times (two times my own blood, sweat, and tears) before I got the recall info in the mail. But I'll not go into that.
Old 12-12-2002, 02:54 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

We use a tool called an eraser at the body shop to remove pin stripes and decals. Comes off like butter.

Any electric eraser would do just fine. (If you happen to have one laying around )
Old 12-12-2002, 03:02 PM

out with the cholo strip..... heheheheheh this is a PITA have fun.
Old 12-12-2002, 03:38 PM

my pinstripes basically fell off when i approached them with a heat gun(it was already hot outside) but the residue it left behind was a ***** to get off...use some rubbing alcohol and then wash wax repeat until its gone.
Old 12-12-2002, 04:07 PM

Do a search. I have posted pictures of a specific tool one can buy that exists just for this sort of thing. (Removing decals/pinstripes/tar from the track.

It looks like a big circular eraser you put on a drill.

It literally took me 5 minutes to get the entire pinstripe off and all the adhesive.

IanS
Old 12-15-2002, 12:39 PM

Re: Don't put those tacky things back on!!

Originally posted by Minimalmaxima

Are there any maxes that did not come with the stripes? Mine does not have them and I think it looks awesome without them. I think they're tacky. I would not have my car any way but how it is. All white. Solid. I think it looks the sportiest that way. The stripes just make it look more like a family sedan. But if it is true that all of the maxes (at least 97-99) came with pin stripes, that means that mine has either been repainted before I got it or the previous owner opted to have them removed. If it has been repainted, I would be worried cause that could mean that it was in need of the paint job because of the accident when carfax and the dealership told me the history was clean as a whistle. Anywho, the car has given me virtually no trouble, minus the ill-fated alternator that I replaced 3 times (two times my own blood, sweat, and tears) before I got the recall info in the mail. But I'll not go into that.
I bought my '99 new and it has no pin stripes. I believe some dealers put them on - glad mine didn't!
Old 12-16-2002, 01:04 PM

Re: Re: Don't put those tacky things back on!!

Originally posted by sterling99SEL

I bought my '99 new and it has no pin stripes. I believe some dealers put them on - glad mine didn't!
Thanks, dude! I feel a little more confident now!
Old 12-16-2002, 02:14 PM

For the price of a new Z you could do ALLOT to a Maxima!! You could do an intake and a y pipe for less than 300 bucks. YOU WILL FEEL those mods too......
Old 12-16-2002, 04:23 PM

i have been taking mine off for about a month now im in IL. and its cold, so even with a hair dryer its damn near impossible, half my car has pin striped, but i have a heated garage and brought my car in there one day and got a lot off with finger nails but didnt have time to finish, so im going to get goo-gone. o yeah a g/f with long nails helps too! thanks melissa
Old 12-16-2002, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by 2maximas
For the price of a new Z you could do ALLOT to a Maxima!! You could do an intake and a y pipe for less than 300 bucks. YOU WILL FEEL those mods too......
Intake and Y-pipe for less than 300? How much for the installation? And how much crap would I get from Nissan when I take it to them for maintenance? When I think of getting my car modded, I think about Turbo or S/C, especially turbo since I've been seeing this galant at school with the front bumper off and intercooler exposed. If I was to get turbo and the rest of that stuff, I would have to be out of 6 to 10 grand when all is said and done, wouldn't I? I'd have to have a hefty income before I would feel comfortable spending that kind of dough on a nonessential want like mods, even with it being a one-time thing. And if I had said income, I could afford 500 to 700 bucks a month for a Z. That's what I mean in my sig. But really, how much would intake and y-pipe be for install and all?
Old 12-16-2002, 08:13 PM

Does anyone know where i can get goo gone