4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Red Translucent Vinyl tape?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 03:21 PM

Red Translucent Vinyl tape?????

I read a "how-to" on redding out the tails for a 95-96. but I can't find any of that translucent vinyl tape. I checked Staples, Office Max, Office Depot, and Harmons. Where can I find this?

And if anyone did this mod to their 95-96 max, how easy was it? pics?
Old 12-09-2002, 03:26 PM

Re: Red Translucent Vinyl tape?????

Originally posted by paulspeed95
I read a "how-to" on redding out the tails for a 95-96. but I can't find any of that translucent vinyl tape. I checked Staples, Office Max, Office Depot, and Harmons. Where can I find this?

Go to an auto store. They might have it near the tail light fixing section.

SuDZ
Old 12-09-2002, 04:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

try a hobby store or an autoparts store like sudz said
Old 12-09-2002, 08:43 PM

Re: Red Translucent Vinyl tape?????

Hay, I have the same problem, I can't find that red tape anywhere, at least in a big sheet like the one in the pic. I have tried hobby stores, Michaels craft stores, toys r us, and auto parts stores like Pep Boys. The only 1 I can find is that little roll of taillight repair tape, too small for that job. Anyone in NJ able to find it?:attention
Old 12-10-2002, 08:38 AM

Re: Re: Red Translucent Vinyl tape?????

The reason I want to do this is because I want to shave the 'Nissan' emblem off the back and if I have my stock amber tails it won't look so good. Oh well I guess the shaving is gonna wait till Custom Maxima.com comes out with red/clears.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:02 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

hey

my friend just bought ordered a bulk roll. I'm attempting to re-do my tails w/ em because when i first attempted, i have a couple of bubbles in there. This time i'm goin at it w/ a heatgun. I talked ot my friend and after measuring out how much we need for pair of max outter tails, he is going to start selling them. I will let you guys know about it... most likely around 3-4 bucks shipped. We'll see how it goes.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:12 AM

you may be able to run a search on google for translusent vinal and there are online stores that sell it by the yard... try that... good luck
Old 12-10-2002, 11:25 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Why tape? I'd think taping the tails would like monkey butt. I suggest painting the tails with translucent paint. I painted my ambers red and smoked out my reverse lights. I'll incorporate some better pics of my tails into my homepage tonight. Go ahead and take a look now and you'll my red painted ambers.

If you don't like the look or want to change it around, simply take a rag with finger nail polish remover (acetone) and wipe the paint off. Acetone will leave the plastic in OEM condition (no hazing).

Dave
Old 12-10-2002, 04:48 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by Dave B
Why tape? I'd think taping the tails would like monkey butt. I suggest painting the tails with translucent paint. I painted my ambers red and smoked out my reverse lights. I'll incorporate some better pics of my tails into my homepage tonight. Go ahead and take a look now and you'll my red painted ambers.

If you don't like the look or want to change it around, simply take a rag with finger nail polish remover (acetone) and wipe the paint off. Acetone will leave the plastic in OEM condition (no hazing).

Dave
aside from the possible bubbling if u don't do it right the first time u put it on, it's so much better. It's an even all throughout, maintain the glossy-ness and best of all, u don't have have to take the taillights off to do em. When you say taping, I hope u don't think we're like actually puttin on strips of tape.. its just one big sheet of the red transparent film that goes covers the whole area.
Old 12-10-2002, 06:27 PM

What part of the outer tail should I put it on? the upper or lower or both.
Old 12-10-2002, 06:46 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

What part of the outer tail should I put it on? the upper or lower or both.
just the amber portion

http://nxp1.cjb.net (just incase u haven't seen em already)
Old 12-12-2002, 10:26 AM

http://www.texasart.com/help/index_store_locations.cfm
This is where I got my red out adhesive tape. This product is called (X-film)Normex intermediate grade vinyl. The store descripiont is Formatt-Form X 10307H. I got it at the Montrose Blvd. store for about $6 bucks. Real easy to work with. Later...........
Old 12-12-2002, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by bigdaddy
Here you go fellas. It's transparent tape I bought $7 for 2x2ft. at an art supply store. No heat gun at all. http://maxima.cardomain.com/id/bigdaddymax
Hey thats pretty nice! Too bad its illegal to not have a white backup light...
Old 12-12-2002, 03:20 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by nadir_s

aside from the possible bubbling if u don't do it right the first time u put it on, it's so much better. It's an even all throughout, maintain the glossy-ness and best of all, u don't have have to take the taillights off to do em. When you say taping, I hope u don't think we're like actually puttin on strips of tape.. its just one big sheet of the red transparent film that goes covers the whole area.
My red painted turnsignals are nice and even and glossy too. When the signal lights up, they are a solid red. I wish cardomain wasn't down because I'd post a pic. The advantage of painted the tails is that the paint comes off very easily with acetone with no damage to the taillight assembly (ie you can go back to stock in 5 minutes).

Dave
Old 12-12-2002, 05:47 PM

Originally posted by bigdaddy
Here you go fellas. It's transparent tape I bought $7 for 2x2ft. at an art supply store. No heat gun at all. http://maxima.cardomain.com/id/bigdaddymax
man, that looks awesome! i tried a similar thing with the red vinyl film and it didn't turn out so well....lots of bubbles and wrinkles.

where did you get your tape? i love the way that looks.
Old 12-12-2002, 06:48 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

bigdaddy, how'd u get the tape on? Can you explain in detail? Thanks.
Old 12-29-2002, 05:18 AM
Ludicrous Speed

wait, so we know it looks good with the red translucent tape..

Since this is how they do tint on windows, what would it look like to use tint film instead of tint spray? I have cracks here and there from my rush job on the red/white tails, so what would cover it up best, a mildly translucent yet thick film or a few coats of the tinting spray?
Old 12-29-2002, 06:29 AM

Originally posted by Dave B
Why tape? I'd think taping the tails would like monkey butt. I suggest painting the tails with translucent paint.

Dave
Where can you get this translucent paint? I've sort of been looking for some for a while now, but I've got some things I wanna do with it now. Should I be checking automotive stores, or hobby stores? Or would places like Wal-Mart even carry it?
Old 12-30-2002, 06:57 AM

Originally posted by Campy

Where can you get this translucent paint? I've sort of been looking for some for a while now, but I've got some things I wanna do with it now. Should I be checking automotive stores, or hobby stores? Or would places like Wal-Mart even carry it?
Testors.com.. the red that matches our tails is called Candey Apple Red.. Obviously get the Translusent one..