4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Radiator Support REPLACEMENT (NO BS REPLIES PLEASE)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 08:56 PM

Radiator Support REPLACEMENT (NO BS REPLIES PLEASE)

hey guys, here's the problem that I have on the max, right where the cross member (hehe, not that cross memeber ) connects to the radiator support there is a HUGE rust spot, the rust is on the RADIATOR SUPPORT, it has rusted so bad that you can see right through the cross member. now I know that this is a very important part of the engine support and I wouldn't want this part to EVER drop on me. so there are 2 solutions to this,

1) have a metal plate welded where the rust spot is and that would hopefully solve the problem

2) buy a NEW radiator support and replace the existing one, I would really like to go this route, considering that they actually sell them

http://www.autobodypartsonline.com/c...36102333682.5b

or

http://www.carpartswholesale.com/cgi...esale/428.html

because they sell them it seems that even though this could be a royal pain in the behind to do, there is no welding involved, it seems that the radiator support is only held by bolts, if that's the case then replacing would be actually possible

if you have any idea on this please reply, I really need information on this

Konstantin

p.s. Please don't reply to this if you don't know anything about this, replies like "that sucks" don't help me solve the problem, but you can pm them to me
Old 12-03-2002, 06:54 AM

Re: Radiator Support REPLACEMENT (NO BS REPLIES PLEASE)

Originally posted by Vinipux
hey guys, here's the problem that I have on the max, right where the cross member (hehe, not that cross memeber ) connects to the radiator support there is a HUGE rust spot, the rust is on the RADIATOR SUPPORT, it has rusted so bad that you can see right through the cross member. now I know that this is a very important part of the engine support and I wouldn't want this part to EVER drop on me. so there are 2 solutions to this,

That sucks You should run the car into a wall or someting and be done with it.

Seriously, get in touch with Paul and see if he can weld it for you.
Old 12-03-2002, 07:38 AM

Re: Re: Radiator Support REPLACEMENT (NO BS REPLIES PLEASE)

Originally posted by iwannabmw

That sucks You should run the car into a wall or someting and be done with it.

Seriously, get in touch with Paul and see if he can weld it for you.
yeah, I forgot that Paul welds, I'll e-mail him about it.

speaking of running car into other things, I backed into a moving afing car yesterday, I think all I did to my car is picked up the paint from her car, arrr, it's white, the cop says that they would probably just buff that stuff out, her car on the othe hand I got from the middle of front to the middle of rear door, but very little indentation, mostly paint scratching. when I was backing up there was a freaking pickup truck blocking my view that's why I didn't see it, and I think she was going a bit too fast, but either way it's my fault, so we'll see what's going to happen
Old 12-03-2002, 10:01 AM

Re: Re: Re: Radiator Support REPLACEMENT (NO BS REPLIES PLEASE)

yeah, I forgot that Paul welds, I'll e-mail him about it.

speaking of running car into other things, I backed into a moving afing car yesterday, I think all I did to my car is picked up the paint from her car, arrr, it's white, the cop says that they would probably just buff that stuff out, her car on the othe hand I got from the middle of front to the middle of rear door, but very little indentation, mostly paint scratching. when I was backing up there was a freaking pickup truck blocking my view that's why I didn't see it, and I think she was going a bit too fast, but either way it's my fault, so we'll see what's going to happen

SuDZ
Old 12-03-2002, 10:04 AM

What about any local junk yards?

You might be able to pick one up there?
Old 12-03-2002, 11:02 AM

The part isn't that expensive, I would say replace it. $110 for such a large metal frame seems almost a bargain, seeing how a stupid little sensor can cost twice that.
Old 12-03-2002, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by Eric L.
The part isn't that expensive, I would say replace it. $110 for such a large metal frame seems almost a bargain, seeing how a stupid little sensor can cost twice that.

the problem is not in the part, the problem is in the fact that I have no idea how I would take the stupid thing off, now I know I would have to take the bumper off completly, I would have to disconnect the radiator, the power steering lines that go in front of the radiator, but the question is, is the whole thing just a bolt on part or is there any welding that has to be done, my guess is that because you can just buy the part is that you don't have to do any welding, and I would prefer to do it this way, but then I would run into a problem if whether this needs to be aligned w/ the car or can I just bolt it in and it would align itself?
Old 12-03-2002, 02:39 PM

whether this needs to be aligned w/ the car or can I just bolt it in and it would align itself?
What do you mean by align it with the car???

SuDZ
Old 12-03-2002, 02:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The radiator support should be welded on. You would have to basically take your front bumper off, and support the cross member with a jackstand while you sawzall the old one off, then weld the new one on. Of course, you need to remove everything that is attached to that part. You might want to check though, but the last time I had my front bumper off I seemed to remember it was welded.
Old 12-03-2002, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by Slickismax
The radiator support should be welded on. You would have to basically take your front bumper off, and support the cross member with a jackstand while you sawzall the old one off, then weld the new one on. Of course, you need to remove everything that is attached to that part. You might want to check though, but the last time I had my front bumper off I seemed to remember it was welded.
see, it would "make sense" that it was welded on, but they're selling this part as if you can just UNBOLT the old one and put a different one in, when it gets somewhat warmer or the next time I'm under the car I'll have to look better at it

Sudz, by aligning it meaning that the radiator support is the 4th "wall" of the car, and when you put it back in, to make sure the car goes straight and what not and also to align it w/ the actual frame, there are different measurements that you have to take. you know how there are holes on the radiator support and other indentations and what not in the engine bay, they're all used to measure the alignment of the front, like, you would measure diagonal distance and make sure it's the same, you would measure front/back, left/right distance and so on, if you want to see more I can show it to you in the factory manual, they have all the different parts you have to make sure that are matched
Old 12-03-2002, 05:36 PM

see, it would "make sense" that it was welded on, but they're selling this part as if you can just UNBOLT the old one and put a different one in, when it gets somewhat warmer or the next time I'm under the car I'll have to look better at it

Sudz, by aligning it meaning that the radiator support is the 4th "wall" of the car, and when you put it back in, to make sure the car goes straight and what not and also to align it w/ the actual frame, there are different measurements that you have to take. you know how there are holes on the radiator support and other indentations and what not in the engine bay, they're all used to measure the alignment of the front, like, you would measure diagonal distance and make sure it's the same, you would measure front/back, left/right distance and so on, if you want to see more I can show it to you in the factory manual, they have all the different parts you have to make sure that are matched
Are you sure this piece doesn't need to be welded on? Well, if it is a bolt on/off piece you still have to worry about aligning everything so that all your body panels (hood, fenders, bumper and lights) line up correctly. I think you should just try to have yours repaired, a lot less work.
Old 12-03-2002, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by roruiz

Are you sure this piece doesn't need to be welded on? Well, if it is a bolt on/off piece you still have to worry about aligning everything so that all your body panels (hood, fenders, bumper and lights) line up correctly. I think you should just try to have yours repaired, a lot less work.
that's the point, I don't know if it's welded on, that's why I'm here asking, hoping someone would know (I highly doubt it). and aligning wouldn't be a problem since I have a manual w/ all the specs, that's all possible. and having it repaired is an option as I said earlier, I'm not sure which way I'm going to go at it, depends which is easier/cheaper, depends if a friend cooperates or not
Old 12-03-2002, 07:43 PM

that's the point, I don't know if it's welded on, that's why I'm here asking, hoping someone would know (I highly doubt it). and aligning wouldn't be a problem since I have a manual w/ all the specs, that's all possible. and having it repaired is an option as I said earlier, I'm not sure which way I'm going to go at it, depends which is easier/cheaper, depends if a friend cooperates or not

OT: We need to find a day sometime soon and rip Greg's car apart, he needs motivation
Old 12-03-2002, 07:45 PM

Originally posted by iwannabmw

OT: We need to find a day sometime soon and rip Greg's car apart, he needs motivation
yeah, we do, I need his 1) Rotors, 2) Upper intake pipe, 3) other toys he's accumilated but isn't using
Old 12-03-2002, 09:11 PM

for a $110 you cant beat that man! id say go for it. But dont forget, you have to get this painted too

i may have to do mine cause of a lil fender-bender i got into a while back. I would assume thats why my stock fog and headlight assembly on the diver side sits about 1/2" off(recessed)

Ant
Old 12-04-2002, 07:48 AM

Originally posted by ny96max
But dont forget, you have to get this painted too

Paint? He's the magic marker king
Old 09-11-2003, 12:09 PM

I would also like to know if it's easy to do....whats involved. It seems like its bolted on. Also, do you have to replace the whole thing, or can you just replace just the lower radiator support?
Old 09-11-2003, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by PoePoe2797
I would also like to know if it's easy to do....whats involved. It seems like its bolted on. Also, do you have to replace the whole thing, or can you just replace just the lower radiator support?
I actually haven't done this yet, but the whole thing has to be cut and the new piece welded back in, that's the only way to really do this unless u can find someone to weld a new plate over the rust and somehow make it work. good luck
Old 09-11-2003, 04:39 PM

hmm.....so it's not a direct bolt on? meaning that I can't just unbolt the whole support, and bolt the new one back on? Where exactly are the welds located?

I have to get a new one due to a large crack. Was kinda hoping to do it myself if it was a bolt on to save on labor, but if its welded then I guess I have to goto a shop.

Another thought, why would they sell the radiator support if it has to be welded on? What I mean is, I dont see people selling parts of the unibody separatley anywhere....actually, is there anyone here that actually had their radiator support removed and reinstalled, because most of these answers are coming from just by looking at it.