4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

problem starting the max this morning

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2002, 07:30 PM

problem starting the max this morning

This morning i went to start my car and when turn the key everything sounded fine, so i let go of the key thinkin it was on but it didn't stay on. I turned the key again and the same thing happened, but this time the car also shook real bad. i let go of the key and it died. I tried starting it one more time but this time i pressed the gas a couple of times and it finally stayed on. It did this again when i came out of the store. I tried starting it again tonight, but it was fine it started right up. Does anybody have any clue what might have been the problem. Thanks a lot

Here are some things that might help you out:
My car isn't garaged
Its been kind of cold
Also been raining all weekend
Just put a full tank of gas in it - maybe water in the gas maybe not

I tell you how it is tommorow when i start it up
Old 11-17-2002, 07:38 PM

Re: problem starting the max this morning

Originally posted by tbannon
This morning i went to start my car and when turn the key everything sounded fine, so i let go of the key thinkin it was on but it didn't stay on. I turned the key again and the same thing happened, but this time the car also shook real bad. i let go of the key and it died. I tried starting it one more time but this time i pressed the gas a couple of times and it finally stayed on. It did this again when i came out of the store. I tried starting it again tonight, but it was fine it started right up. Does anybody have any clue what might have been the problem. Thanks a lot

Here are some things that might help you out:
My car isn't garaged
Its been kind of cold
Also been raining all weekend
Just put a full tank of gas in it - maybe water in the gas maybe not

I tell you how it is tommorow when i start it up
I'm not sure but I say it's your starter or battery. Did you leave your lights on over night or maybe the inside lights? This drains the battery.
Old 11-17-2002, 07:44 PM

Re: Re: problem starting the max this morning

Originally posted by paulspeed95

I'm not sure but I say it's your starter or battery. Did you leave your lights on over night or maybe the inside lights? This drains the battery.
no i didn't leave anything on, but i did just put on some after market fogs and
Old 11-17-2002, 08:02 PM
What's next!?..

Was the weather really cold when it did this?

I used to have this problem on really cold mornings. My starter was going bad. On most mornings it would just make a grinding noise for 1-2 seconds and then start the engine. However, on really cold days it would start then die and only stay on after stepping on the gas for a few seconds.

If it's not making any grinding noise when starting, I'd would think there is a problem with the battery. Loose connection. Light left on. Or just an old battery that needs replacing. I believe Autozone can check your battery and alternator for free.

Good luck.
Old 11-17-2002, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by JPMax
Was the weather really cold when it did this?

I used to have this problem on really cold mornings. My starter was going bad. On most mornings it would just make a grinding noise for 1-2 seconds and then start the engine. However, on really cold days it would start then die and only stay on after stepping on the gas for a few seconds.

If it's not making any grinding noise when starting, I'd would think there is a problem with the battery. Loose connection. Light left on. Or just an old battery that needs replacing. I believe Autozone can check your battery and alternator for free.

Good luck.
It sounded normal, but wouldn't stay on. I'll take it up to the zone see whats goin on
Old 11-18-2002, 06:05 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

You probably need one of two things.

1) Clean your throttle body - www.motorvate.ca for instructions.

OR

2) Your Engine Coolant Temp Sensor isn't reporting the correct engine temp to your ECU - thus causing a hard start. You may not get a CEL light if the sensor is working, but not reporting correctly. You can check it's hot & cold readings with an Ohm meter. If it's out of spec, just replace it.
Old 11-18-2002, 06:07 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i just changed my battery to the strongest one you can, so i dont think it is that, it has to be the starter, i start it every morning and it only does it the first time i start it for the day, where i just blip the throttle to keep it on, only when its cold too
Old 11-18-2002, 06:25 AM

just the thread i was looking for this morning as the car didn't want to start.
-what is the life expectancy of the starter?
i'm hoping it's just the battery going bad but with 122,000...probably not. NOtNEW it's cold we're I am to now in the mornings and the cold is usually hard on batteries anyway, lets hope we can take the cheaper route!
Old 11-18-2002, 07:15 AM

my car started fine this morning. Im still goin to take it to autozone today and try cleaning the throttle body. Thanks for all your help