4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help!!! My is Clutch Sticking

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 07:00 PM

Help!!! My is Clutch Sticking

I was driving home from the movies. While sitting at a stop light I noticed that my clutch was stuck. I reached down and pulled the pedal up and everything was fine until I parked the car. As I opened my car with the car running I noticed a burning smell. I pressed down on the clutch pedal and I noticed a squealing sound that got louder the further pressed down on the clutch.

Any idea what is going on here? Do I need a new clutch?
Old 11-11-2002, 07:24 PM
Ramius83

How many miles are on your Maxima? It sounds like your clutch is about to go, that the pressure disk may be going on it. Post back with your mileage and on average how hard you drive it......

Old 11-11-2002, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by Ramius83
How many miles are on your Maxima? It sounds like your clutch is about to go, that the pressure disk may be going on it. Post back with your mileage and on average how hard you drive it......
I have about 142,000 on my 1997 Max. Also I downshift when coming to a stop to slow acceleration. If I get the ACT clutch, what are the advantages?
Old 11-11-2002, 07:48 PM
Ramius83

With that many miles, it sounds like your clutch is going. Also, with downshifting at intersections, that I am aware of, is not the best thing. What would you rather replace, the tranny or the brakes?

The advantages of an ACT clutch is slight quicker/harder shifts. And also it has more holding power if you add on the usual intake/y-pipe/boost.

Old 11-11-2002, 08:48 PM

Re: Help!!! My is Clutch Sticking

Originally posted by DMaximus
I was driving home from the movies. While sitting at a stop light I noticed that my clutch was stuck. I reached down and pulled the pedal up and everything was fine until I parked the car. As I opened my car with the car running I noticed a burning smell. I pressed down on the clutch pedal and I noticed a squealing sound that got louder the further pressed down on the clutch.

Any idea what is going on here? Do I need a new clutch?
when ur clutch is stuck, you need to:

1. check your clutch fluid reservoir, if it is empty, then put some more in. watch the 'clutch fluid reservoir' over a week and if it goes down, then you have a leak somewhere most likely your hose($60)

2. if you check your clutch fluid reservoir and it is full, then you probably have to bleed your clutch, (this is inexpensive)

check out:

http://motorvate.ca/auto/maxima/clutch/clutch_bleed.htm

for clutch bleeding.
Old 11-12-2002, 08:51 AM

Re: Re: Help!!! My is Clutch Sticking

Originally posted by tvn_1010

when ur clutch is stuck, you need to:

1. check your clutch fluid reservoir, if it is empty, then put some more in. watch the 'clutch fluid reservoir' over a week and if it goes down, then you have a leak somewhere most likely your hose($60)

2. if you check your clutch fluid reservoir and it is full, then you probably have to bleed your clutch, (this is inexpensive)

check out:

http://motorvate.ca/auto/maxima/clutch/clutch_bleed.htm

for clutch bleeding.
Clutch fluid was low. Added more fluid, but the noise is still there. As I press on the clutch pedal the squealing noise starts and gets louder the further I push the clutch to the floor. When the pedal is all the way on the floor the squealing is replaced by a low rumbling/grinding sound. I got out the car and I could still hear a low whistling/squeal under the hood.

Still think the clutch needs bleeding?
Old 11-12-2002, 09:10 AM
I'm so hood

I know squeals and squeaks can be signs of needing lubrication on a few points...but if it's rumbling when you're just holding the pedal all the way down, I'm not sure what that is. Throwout bearing?

Is it "sticking" any more now that you added more fluid, or is it just noisy now? Are you sure these noises haven't been going on for a little while before this? Mine's squeaky and has vibration near the point of engagement, but I think on mine it's just lube and the throwout bearing...(never gotten stuck, no burning/odd smells, etc).

Does it squeak when you push the pedal with the engine off?
Old 11-12-2002, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by blizz20oma
I know squeals and squeaks can be signs of needing lubrication on a few points...but if it's rumbling when you're just holding the pedal all the way down, I'm not sure what that is. Throwout bearing?

Is it "sticking" any more now that you added more fluid, or is it just noisy now? Are you sure these noises haven't been going on for a little while before this? Mine's squeaky and has vibration near the point of engagement, but I think on mine it's just lube and the throwout bearing...(never gotten stuck, no burning/odd smells, etc).

Does it squeak when you push the pedal with the engine off?
Squealing noise may have been really low in the past. The pedal doesn't stick anymore, it was a one time thing. However, the squealing noise is definitely noticeable when placing the car into gear. It almost sounds like a fanbelt slipping when switching gears. There is a barely audible squeal when the car is just sitting. The further I press the clutch pedal the louder the noise gets.
Old 11-12-2002, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by DMaximus

Squealing noise may have been really low in the past. The pedal doesn't stick anymore, it was a one time thing. However, the squealing noise is definitely noticeable when placing the car into gear. It almost sounds like a fanbelt slipping when switching gears. There is a barely audible squeal when the car is just sitting. The further I press the clutch pedal the louder the noise gets.
If the noise goes away when the clutch is released, and starts again when the pedal is depressed, that's a sign your throwoutbearing is shot. If so, time for a new clutch.
Old 11-12-2002, 01:47 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

hey guys, what are some of the problems you would have if your clutch fluid was low??
Old 11-12-2002, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by nadir_s
hey guys, what are some of the problems you would have if your clutch fluid was low??
Inconsistent action and hard shifts between gears are some symptoms that are possible.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

No Help From Infiniti/Nissan with Sticking Clutch Pedal - WHAT YOU SHOULD DO

My clutch pedal had been sticking at random times for over a year. The problem was so sporadic and the dealership was 30 minutes away so the sticking pedal problem would stop sticking by the time I could take it in and show them the problem.

About a month or two ago, I took it to Grubbs Infiniti in Euless, Texas, for the airbag recall and mentioned the sticking clutch pedal to them. Of course, they were unable to replicate the problem so they were not able to fix it and sent me on my way.

On December 9, 2010, I took it in again because I could smell that awful burning clutch smell. The dealer wanted me to pay $1,450.00 for the repairs. I have an extended warranty on the vehicle but normal wear and tear is not covered. That is understandable but it still was not good enough for me. I knew that the sticking clutch pedal was causing wear and tear that was BEYOND normal on my car – especially since it had been doing it for over a year.

By accident, I stumbled across this forum and MULTIPLE other forums of people have the EXACT same issue with their G35’s. I also found MULTIPLE forums of Nissan 350 owners with the EXACT same problem – after all it is essentially the same car. I was shocked and appalled that this has not become a recall issue when it is a matter of consumer safety. I think that this issue is bigger than any of us or Infiniti/Nissan realizes. This is a widespread problem they are avoiding.

Even more shocking and appalling is the lack of concern for my safety that I received from both Grubbs Infiniti and Infiniti Consumer Affairs. Their complete unwillingness to make the needed repairs and cover all or part of the costs and STOP putting my life in jeopardy every time I drive the vehicle is asinine.

Infiniti/Nissan’s defective sticking clutch pedal IS A MAJOR SAFETY CONCERN and does cause premature wear on other clutch parts. Therefore, Infiniti/Nissan should:

· Issue a recall on this sticking pedal IMMEDIATELY. People’s lives are at risk! This is no different than the sticking accelerator problem that Toyota had but they want to sweep it under the rug. DOES SOMEONE HAVE TO DIE BEFORE THEY WILL WAKE UP?
· If they aren’t going to recall the sticking clutch pedal, then they need to cover the repairs to fix the sticking clutch pedal and any repairs from the unnecessary wear that the sticking clutch pedal caused.

If you have tried to work with the dealership or Infiniti/Nissan to get them to do just those very things and your attempts failed, here is what I suggest you do, as suggested to me by a consumer attorney:

· File a complaint, in writing, over the phone or online with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) by going to https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm
· File a complaint with the Attorney General – Consumer Protection Division in your area. You can find a list by state by going here: http://www.naag.org/current-attorneys-general.php
· Write your congressman or congress-woman. You can find yours by going to https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml. The last thing Infiniti/Nissan wants is a criminal investigation (much like Toyota’s) into the company's safety problems and lack of concern for their customers.
· Contact a public defender at your local news station. Almost all of us have them now. You may not get a call back or response from this but I am willing to bet that if we all do this, one of them will step up the plate and broadcast this problem. And if you know how the news works, when one reports it, they ALL report it. News broadcasts will bring more people forward with the same problem and will provide us Infiniti/Nissan owners with some strength in numbers.

Having lived this, I hope that my tips and pointers help.

In addition, if any of you are in Texas and would like to become part of a group lawsuit against Infiniti/Nissan to offset some of the attorney fees, please email me at dalanamorse@gmail.com

United we stand… Let’s come together and MAKE Infiniti/Nissan do the right thing since they obviously aren’t going to do it on their own.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:26 PM

Wow. My cars a POS, who do I sue??

Sounds like your clutch pedal bushings needed lubed.

OP sounds like a bad Pressure plate. This happens with all makes and models. If you really need to sue someone sue the dealership you went to for repair. In this case, you don't have a case.

BTW, really nice opening an 8 year old thread for your own financial gain.

IBTL

Last edited by asand1; 12-29-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:26 PM

Old 03-03-2014, 03:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 99 maxima 204000 miles @194000 new clutch been driving fine but wwent to down shift and pushed in clutch and shifted let out and no power fluid is fine no leaks. slave stuck? Master stuck? Air bubble? HELP
Old 03-04-2014, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jager1029
I have a 99 maxima 204000 miles @194000 new clutch been driving fine but wwent to down shift and pushed in clutch and shifted let out and no power fluid is fine no leaks. slave stuck? Master stuck? Air bubble? HELP
Has your pressure plate failed? A new slave is so cheap (at least $7) I'd replace it. Fix it, then report back. Try a stailess steel clutch hose. Good luck.