4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Creaking, popping sound when I turn wheel... what could it be?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 06:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Creaking, popping sound when I turn wheel... what could it be?

When I turn my steering wheel, I hear this popping, creaking sound coming from up front somewhere. It appears to be coming from both wheels, but more from the right wheel. It does it all the time, but especially when it is cold outside. The sound happens when I am at a dead stop, backing out of or pulling into a parking space, or otherwise driving slow and turning... it does not appear to happen at fast speeds (since you don't really turn your wheel hard at fast speeds )

I searched, and some people with Maxspeed springs seemed to have this problem. I just had mine installed about a month ago. BUT, it was making this sound BEFORE I had them installed. So that cannot be it. And the other sounds people were describing for other problems were not described the same.

Any suggestions as to what it could be?
Old 10-30-2002, 06:14 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Strut bearings.

Replace or regrease.
Old 10-30-2002, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by mzmtg
Strut bearings.

Replace or regrease.

I agree, its the strut bearings. I had that noise, changed out the bearings when I installed my AGX's. No noise since.
Old 10-31-2002, 04:39 PM

If its not the strut bearings, you might wanna give the steering rack a look-see. If you are low/lost all fluid, and the rack is empty, there is nothign lubricating the teeth of the rack and that would result in groaning/creaking while turning.

Aside from checking the PS reservior to see if you are out of fluid, another way to check would be to jack up the front of your car and turn the wheels by pushing on the tires with your hands. Since you are already under the car you will be able to hear where the noise is coming from. If it still squeaks, it probably wouldn't be the strut bearings since there is no more load on them. The steering rack will still groan and creak while in the air though....

Hope this helps.
Old 10-31-2002, 08:32 PM

My maxima is making this sound too on the front passenger side. It started doing this after I had my AGX and H&Rs installed. I replaced both strut bearings but this noise occurs whenever I turn in park or at slow moving speeds like in a parking lot. Could it be that the strut bearing is bad or needs to be regreased? It was fine for a day after install, then it started making this sound. I looked under the car while I had someone turn the steering wheel. The noise occurs as the springs turn. The guy who did the install sprayed some silicone lubricant on the springs while they were still installed on the car when I took it back to them. It quieted the noise a little at that time but the noise is back. Tomorrow is the last day of the 30-day gaurantee. What should I do?
Old 11-01-2002, 06:06 AM

I'm having a similar problem too. Although it seems to make a noise regardless of whether I'm turning or not. And it still makes some noise at highway speeds. I'll be under the car this weekend installing my y-pipe so is there anything else I should look at while i'm down there?
Old 11-01-2002, 08:30 AM

Further informatin if necessary. The noise is from the springs "pulling." I don't have isolation sleeves on the top of the springs in the front since they didn't come with any stock. Would that stop the noise? In other words, how would one stop this spring-pulling noise that occurs when I turn the steering wheel?