4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Anybody cut their aftermarket springs??? (experiences)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2002, 07:02 PM

Anybody cut their aftermarket springs??? (experiences)

Hey,

I've been searching around for about an hour, and have found bits and pieces in certain posts about people who have cut their aftermarket springs, but I was looking to get a definitive answer from people who have cut their aftermarket springs, as to the ride quality and reliability.

I'm specifically seeking testimonial from people with "trimmed" maxspeed springs, however, all input is appreciated.

A few questions...
How many coils did you cut?
Is the ride bouncy, bouncier than stock?
How does it handle?
How low did it lower your car?
How long have you been driving on the cut springs?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-29-2002, 10:13 PM

DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!!! I bought a hooked up 94 Galant a few years ago and the springs were cut... It put too much pressure on the frame when I hit bumps and ended up cracking the inside of the wheel well.. cost me about $600 to fix...cutting springs is bad for your car and is pretty damn ghetto anyway... You really dont need more than a 2 inch drop... in Queens its pretty rough even wit an inch and a half but maybe your streets are perfectly smooth everywhere u drive. Dont cut em!
Old 10-29-2002, 11:30 PM
CaLSoNiC

Isnt cutting aftermarket springs exactly the same thing as cutting stock springs cept you paid more money for your aftermarket ones? I mean seriously, cutting springs is cutting springs. Dont do it. Eh, dont "slam" your car either, thats just pathetic.

Old 10-29-2002, 11:34 PM
JsL

Go to a honda forum, you will find tons of info there...ricers swear by it...
Old 10-29-2002, 11:50 PM
CaLSoNiC

Originally posted by JsL
Go to a honda forum, you will find tons of info there...ricers swear by it...
Until they pull into McDonalds or some**** and rip 90% of their undercarriage to hell and back again.

Old 10-30-2002, 01:21 AM

You guys should really do your research before posting. He's talking about cutting aftermarket lowering springs. The differences between those and stock springs it that to get his desired ride height, he doesn't have to cut as much off.

With that being said. Yes it is safe to cut your aftermarket springs, but only when it is done in moderation. You have to be aware of the outcome of your cut and how it will adversely affect your ride, and handling. Spring rates are determined by how much pressure it takes to compress the spring 1 inch. Manufacturers set spring rates by setting the thickness of the wire as well as the number of coils. By reducing the number of coils, you dramatically increase the spring rate. This will decrease ride quality, and without the proper strut damping, will decrease handling too. The trick is that by cutting 1 to 2 coils may give you a slightly harsher ride, but won't make the car undrivable. It may increase handling as well with the proper struts. I wouldn't go more than 2 coils on any spring. I also wouldn't recommend cutting stock springs as the coils are spaced to far apart, making the spring rate rise quicker. Make sure the cuts are equal to the millimeter on both sides, or the car will be uneven.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by CaLSoNiC
Until they pull into McDonalds or some**** and rip 90% of their undercarriage to hell and back again.
lmfao!!
Old 04-09-2010, 10:05 PM

Just to add my opinion. I'm all for a trim to aftermarket springs, 2 coils is too much imo, but being that max front springs are fairly semetrical top/bottom. I feel its less of a chg to the original spring design to cut say 1/2 off the top and 1/2 off the bottom. This will also keep the coil ends seated properly. Your also better off cutting in small increments, you can always cut more. This is more time consuming worthwhile to get it right.

For all cut haters......cutting has been done for more years than any of us have had a license to drive!
Old 04-09-2010, 10:07 PM

well being that he is talking about maxpeed springs

I would just keep it as they are to be on the safe side. I wouldn't want anything to happen to you driving down the highway 70mph with cut springs..

and kinda OT, but are matriX springs any good? i have them on my car, on stock struts, No problem for almost a year. but has anyone heard of them?
Old 04-09-2010, 10:39 PM
Got Retrofit?

Don't do it.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:39 AM
KH3 by popular demand

No alarm at someone bumping an 8yr old post.....
Old 04-10-2010, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by maxgtr2000
No alarm at someone bumping an 8yr old post.....

well, i know it's an old post, BUT. i didn't know you can cut aftermarket springs.