4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need some help diagnosing my Y-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2002, 08:59 AM

Need some help diagnosing my Y-pipe

I just got my pipe in yesterday and managed to do a couple of runs. I heard the bees in a can sound for a few seconds but it was not there all the time should I be worried?

Also I hear a squeaking noise when I am at high rpms and also when shifting at high rpms. Did the shop simply not install it properly or is something wrong with the Y?
Old 10-13-2002, 10:13 AM

im gonna be gettin a video up within the next couple of days of the ypipe inside and outside the car...maybe itll help...i howevever, do have the dreaded bees in a can

it sounds great at 5k+ tho, almost sounds like a turbo, and someone thought i had a blow off valve when the car shifted
Old 10-13-2002, 12:27 PM
Handsome

Re: Need some help diagnosing my Y-pipe

Originally posted by Finality
I just got my pipe in yesterday and managed to do a couple of runs. I heard the bees in a can sound for a few seconds but it was not there all the time should I be worried?

Also I hear a squeaking noise when I am at high rpms and also when shifting at high rpms. Did the shop simply not install it properly or is something wrong with the Y?
Is it a Warpspeed. The Warpspeed pipe is very straight, thats good for hp, but not so good for your stock bracket. I had the exact same problem. I installed the pipe and it sounded great. However, when I would put the car under heavy load I would get a buzzing and rattling sound that sounded like it was just under my gear shift. I jacked the car up and power braked it to put it under load (when I reved the engine in nuetral, it would not rattle) and found out why they need such a heavy flex section. That Y pipe was twisting and turning trying to break loose. The noise is the flex section of the pipe hitting the stock bracket. I bent a piece out of the way and that helped a lot, but if I was doing a drastic down shift it would still make a little noise. So to finally queit it I just cut a small part off the stock bracket off. Hope this helps Just jack your car up and look at the stock bracket, unless you have a full floor lift I wouldn't recomend doing what I did , instead look at the flex section and imagine that it needs about an inch and a half of clearance around it, move any parts that interfere with this and you should be fine.
Old 10-13-2002, 09:49 PM

Thanks for the info I guess I need to jack up my car soon

With regards to an intake I was told that w/o an intake the gains would not be as great because not enough air is flowing through?
Old 10-13-2002, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by Finality
Thanks for the info I guess I need to jack up my car soon

With regards to an intake I was told that w/o an intake the gains would not be as great because not enough air is flowing through?
You got it man, The quicker the air gets and the quicker it gets out the better your engine works!! best stuff you can do for the money for performance.