4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

All 4th Gen guys- Do you have vibrations in your doors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2002, 06:55 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

All 4th Gen guys- Do you have vibrations in your doors?

I posted in another thread here that I was having problems w/ vibration in the doors w/ just the stock Bose speakers. I am thinking of upgrading, but have reservations due to the presence of vibrations with even the stock system, so I have some questions for ALL 4th Gen guys. Since this question is just about general 4th Generation experiences, including guys w/ stock audio systems, I was hoping that it might stay in th egeneral 4th gen forum so that i can get some input from guys who have no interest in audio matters, namely guys running stock stereos.

So here are the questions:

For you guys running Stock (Bose or NON-Bose)- Do you get vibrations in the front door panels with a 100% stock setup?

For you guys running aftermarket speakers off of either the stock non-Bose OR an aftermarket headunit- Do you have any vibrations in the front doors?

For you guys running amps- Is it common to get vibrations in the front doors when running aftermarket speakers off of an amp?

Thanks for the help, guys. I need to know if my vibrations are normal, or whether the culprit is a blown Bose amp/speaker.
Old 10-11-2002, 07:35 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

All quiet here.
Old 10-11-2002, 07:42 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
All quiet here.
What is your status? Stock, aftermarket, amped?
Old 10-11-2002, 07:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had an aftermarket headunit and some slightly better than stock speakers in the front doors.

The only rattles I heard were from just general Minima quality. I don't think they were from music/speakers.

The front doors are kinda easy to take off. I would suggest taking the door off and seeing if anything is loose.
Old 10-11-2002, 07:52 AM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

i agree with clee, it might jsut be something loose
Old 10-11-2002, 08:06 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by clee130
I had an aftermarket headunit and some slightly better than stock speakers in the front doors.

The only rattles I heard were from just general Minima quality. I don't think they were from music/speakers.

The front doors are kinda easy to take off. I would suggest taking the door off and seeing if anything is loose.
After F'ing with the door in traffic this morning, I am inclined to think that I may just be experiencing what happens to a door panel after 6 years of driving. It may well be that I just need to tighten things up a bit. When the rain stops (and the SNIPER goes away!!!) I will go out and fool with it. Right now, I am not in a hurry to get wet OR shot over my car...
Old 10-11-2002, 08:13 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by phenryiv1
What is your status? Stock, aftermarket, amped?
Stock BOSE system and lots of club music. All I hear is base, no rattles.
Old 10-11-2002, 08:16 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Well, now I REALLY think that I have a blown stock component OR a loose "something" in my door...or Both...
Old 10-11-2002, 08:17 AM

I have vibrations in both of my doors! To think of it, I have vibrations all around my ****ing car. But after lots of useless time spent trying to fix them, i just blame them on the minima's quality. The only solution that i can come up with is to turn up the radio!
Old 10-11-2002, 08:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Minima quality is the culprit
Old 10-11-2002, 08:32 AM
I'm so hood

After F'ing with the door in traffic this morning, I am inclined to think that I may just be experiencing what happens to a door panel after 6 years of driving. It may well be that I just need to tighten things up a bit. When the rain stops (and the SNIPER goes away!!!) I will go out and fool with it. Right now, I am not in a hurry to get wet OR shot over my car...
we need to get you a garage...

I had some slight rattle with my stock bose on the front passenger door. Remained when I switched to aftermarket, really couldn't see anything when I took off the door panel that's suspect. It's very slight.

The rattles in the door panels that I'm not crazy about are just on the 'armrest'/window switch part of the panel. In both doors, there's some rattle here to where if I apply pressure, it goes away. Not enough to make me want to troubleshoot it further. It's a lot worse in my roomies 97 240, same place.

My trunk has some that I need to sit back in there and listen to again. Spoiler is one, but something's really crept up again since I installed my sub. I had it pretty quiet before that.
Old 10-11-2002, 08:43 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by blizz20oma

we need to get you a garage...

The rattles in the door panels that I'm not crazy about are just on the 'armrest'/window switch part of the panel. In both doors, there's some rattle here to where if I apply pressure, it goes away. Not enough to make me want to troubleshoot it further. It's a lot worse in my roomies 97 240, same place.
Yes I need a garage. Not just for vehicle safety, bu tto have a space to work. And there is currently our little shooting spree in effect in the DC area...

You hit the nail on the head about the rattle in my door. It is right in the armrest area, and pressure either makes it go away or dulls it to the point where I can stand it. Hopefully a little re-tightening when I replace the speakers will get rid of it...
Old 10-11-2002, 08:44 AM

I have a rattle. I think it's almost always one of those clips. When you take off the door panel, check all your clips to make sure they're secure. Then make sure all screws are tight. This should take care of any normal rattles.
Old 10-11-2002, 09:02 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The door light covers rattle for me,,I had to use some foam.
Old 10-11-2002, 09:26 AM
living out of a maxima...

stock Blose and no rattes (yet)
Old 10-11-2002, 10:00 AM

stock bose and I hear a slight rattle sometimes around the armrest part.
Old 10-11-2002, 10:03 AM
Sports Button FTW

i didn't have any vibrations on my doors....
Old 10-11-2002, 10:05 AM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

Originally posted by meccanoble
i didn't have any vibrations on my doors....
yeah until that lady hit you!
Old 10-11-2002, 10:21 AM

I have one in the passenger side door

phenryiv1,

I got one same place in my pass. side door. I live in VA too. BTW, I live in Fairfax.
Old 10-11-2002, 02:59 PM
I'm so hood

I think the armrest-ish rattles/squeaks are just a part of age. I dont see the old couple that owned the max before me really turning the bose up loud, and I noticed the slight rattle/squeak with the stereo off.

Course now it's not really that noticable with the sub in the car, can't hear it anymore Though I can't imagine things getting any better as I can feel nice blasts of air coming out the space near the window switches when bass hits...
Old 10-11-2002, 03:13 PM
Producto Colombiano

i have MB Quarts and have no rattles on the doors. the friggin' ash tray in the center console is another story. that bad boy makes a lot of noise.
Old 10-11-2002, 03:19 PM

i have the stock bose system and have bad rattles in the passenger door where the window switch is and in the door handle. They both go away when pressure is applied and aren't present when when the music is off so i blame it on the speakers. I've tried to take the door off but i can't figure out how to remove the small plastic surrounding the door handle. I can get the side with one clip off but not the side with two clips. Any advice on how to remove the handle surround so i can tighten everything up?
Old 10-11-2002, 04:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Bass. Bass. But anyway, I've got the stock BOSE system, too, and my doors rattle like a bag of bones. It sucks. I think it might actually be the little plastic piece that houses the window switches. I also have a wierd creaking noise in my left door when my car goes over big bumps.
Old 10-11-2002, 06:22 PM

Yeah mine used to. I also HAD the bose system, but I tore it out. Now I"m running some peerless drivers with 90 Hz 24 dB/oct high pass, and I lost that POS plastic service sheet in the door which causes alot of the rattles.
Old 10-11-2002, 08:06 PM

I have the stock BOSE too, and the damn thing rattles, but I'm not sure what to blame, the music being loud? ... even the rearview mirror shakes.

But when I'm listening to good old 104.1 those of you around DC may know what I mean I don't get too many vibrations.
Old 10-11-2002, 08:39 PM

I used to have the BOSE system and I had the rattles too. My drivers side front door used to rattle so bad, I learned to drive with my left leg resting on the door in such a way it didn't buzz or rattle. Then I tore out the BOSE system and got some aftermarket components and no more door rattles. Now my sun visors sort of buzz/rattle with loud bass when they're down.
Old 10-11-2002, 10:34 PM

haha, both my doors rattle like sonsof*****es. right by the speaker in the front bottom edge of each door. they did that with the bose system, and now with my aftermarket system. there are no clips by that part of the door, and even leaning on that part of the door does not stop the rattling, only pulling it away from the door frame itself. What i am going to do next is build custom baffles for my speakers to get them as far away from the door panel without impeding my ability to roll down the window. Additionally, i am going to run some carpet b\w the panel and frame. I already have about 30sqft of deadening on each door! I just gotta stop that one rattle on each door and it will all be good.
Old 10-11-2002, 11:15 PM

Mine rattled, it was the little bracket for the armrest, the bolt were ever so slightly loose so the bracket was moving around. I dynamated around the whole BOSE amp/speaker and where the armrest went, and no more rattles at all Actually made a noticable difference in noise.

Everybody yank off those panels, re-glue the foam deadening material, dynamat, tighten, and replace those tweets with some MB Quarts like I did and you will be able to live with your BOSE system long enough to save for that audio/video system!
Old 10-11-2002, 11:30 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

I have the BOSE... no rattles.

I just don't like the way u can hear so much freakin road noise. Also, do you guys notice that the rear doors, when you open and close em, they feel so secure... kinda like airtight? I wish i had the feeling of that in my front two doors. maybe i just gotta tighten it up... i'm thinkin when i get moola to line the doors w/ dynamat or some cheap sound dampening material.
Old 10-11-2002, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by maximised
Mine rattled, it was the little bracket for the armrest, the bolt were ever so slightly loose so the bracket was moving around. I dynamated around the whole BOSE amp/speaker and where the armrest went, and no more rattles at all Actually made a noticable difference in noise.

Everybody yank off those panels, re-glue the foam deadening material, dynamat, tighten, and replace those tweets with some MB Quarts like I did and you will be able to live with your BOSE system long enough to save for that audio/video system!
how about some other tweets, Quarts are WAYYYYYYY too bright and harsh, hell even the stock bose *cough* i mean clarion *cough* i mean bose, tweets are harsh!
Old 10-11-2002, 11:44 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by slimer

yeah until that lady hit you!
dam you lol
Old 10-11-2002, 11:47 PM

Well I have focal 165K's with 125rms to them and let me tell you it rattled my grills a ton. I had to take them off and put thin weatherstrip on them and no more rattle. I had some door vibration but nothing I couldnt fix with some tightening of bracing. I love it!
Old 10-12-2002, 12:00 AM

I had a little rattling, from the bass I think, when I was stock. Now that I have a sub, only the higher frequencies go the the front speakers (not a lot of bass) so I don't have any rattling anymore.
Old 10-12-2002, 08:42 AM

Originally posted by Miasma

how about some other tweets, Quarts are WAYYYYYYY too bright and harsh, hell even the stock bose *cough* i mean clarion *cough* i mean bose, tweets are harsh!
Heh yeah they are, I've got mine set on -6 on the passive crossover and even then on my EQX EQ most of the highs are tucked down another 6 dB or so.