4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My 1995 Maxima SE's Auto Tranny is slipping!!! Maxima is grounded!! HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2000, 06:20 AM

Hey guys,
First, let me re-introduce myself: My name is Jeremiah, I've been on and off the Maxima BBS for the past 4 years. Unfortunately during recent times, I've been having computer problems, thus I have not been able to be an active member of the BBS. However, they have since been rectified.
Now, I am faced with a real dilemna with my 1995 Nissan Maxima SE with 110,000 miles on it. I have an automatic transmission that is slipping. The dealer says that I need a new one and if I don't get a new one soon...I may be stuck roadsided somwhere. Furthermore they are going to charge me about $2700 for a new one with labor!!! What am I supposed to do?? I can't afford that right now. My only alternative is to possibly find a used transmission from another Maxima that has been wrecked. Would any of you know of anywhere where I could search for one? Oh yeah and by the way, the dealer also said that by rebuilding the current transmission---the costs would outweigh the benifits. Right now my Maxima that I have invested so much time, energy, and money into sits in my driveway until further notice. Could someone please help me with some information regarding this in any way? Has anyone else experienced similar problems in their Maxima? If I were to get a used tranny...does it have to be a "95" or an "SE"?? Thanks a lot for any help and your patience for reading this.
Jeremiah
1995 Pearl White Maxima SE w/Stillen kit, many mods,
& bad tranny
Old 09-08-2000, 07:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Jeremiah, You are alive????

Wow, holy crap dude, you still exist. Anyway, all the local guys should learn by now to come to me for parts for their beloved Maxima's. Here is what I will say to you, you can buy a tranny off of a junked Max, prolly with pretty low mileage and swap it into your max, prolly for less than 1000 bucks, way less if you do the swap yourself. My cousin runs a junkyard, relatively locally that has continuosly helped out Maxima folk who happen to mention my name. So, if you are interested in a tranny I can call him and get you a price, probably cheaper than any other junkyard you will find around here, he will double the warranty on it for you since you know me. And he will generally take care of you. Figure that even if the tranny doesn't last as long as a brand new one, you will probably not be put into this predicament again until you can possibly afford to have it fixed completely with a new tranny or buy a new car. Personally this is the route I would go, I know others will tell you to suck it up and have the dealer fix it, that is your call. Remember, I know you better than some other people here, and I also know that you just graduated college, and just got a job (congratulations on both accounts) and that you are looking to get your own place (maybe you have). If I can be of assistance, I will be more than happy to do it for you, you were instrumental in teaching me about alot of the Max stuff, and I appreciate that. I no longer live in Danbury, but am still damn close. My cousin's shop is about an hour away if that. Let me know what you want to do, shoot me an e-mail or something. Or call my cellie, I don't know if you still have the number. I don't know if you will check this anytime in the near future, but the offer is open to you whenever you want it.

Del
Old 09-08-2000, 09:52 AM

Were you hard on your tranny?

Just curious. The 3rd gen autos seem weak. BUT we don't have any real stats on the 4th gens yet. 110K does seem early......but if you have many mods....more power....and were hard on it I could see that. Kaleb's 93 had 160k and he rebuilt just for maintaince.....but it wasn't bad.

Mike S.
Old 09-08-2000, 10:18 AM
Keven97SE

Look into getting yours rebuilt ->

You should be able to get that work done for something in the $1000 range. I'd consider that.

I personally wouldn't recommend a used auto tranny. There are so many wear items inside that you may find yourself in the same situation again down the road.

Rebuild may be similar in price to a used auto and, if you get the right shop and used NISSAN parts, you'll have a tranny that should last you another 100K+ miles.

You might want to looking into selling the car after the rebuild, also. Certainly is a good time to at least consider it. I wouldn't consider selling with the bad tranny...your resale value will plummet. Best to rebuild, then sell.