4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

96 Maxima SE Computer/Timing Chain

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 10:50 AM

96 Maxima SE Computer/Timing Chain

My computer was diagnosed as being bad after I changed the timing chain myself, it would not fire on number one and three cylinder. I had the computer supposedly fixed twice and still it has the same problems. In the end the people who fixed my computer gave me another one. I took the car into a Nissan dealership for help. They swapped the coils and plug wires from two and four and still number one and three would not fire. The dealership is thinking that maybe the chain slipped one tooth and that is why it is not firing on numbers one and three. They believe that it is the computer but since I had it fixed twice they are not sure? They are stumped and are going to do some more checking. They say that there was a service bulletin that sort of mentioned this, I am quite sure that I put the chain in right. I can still take the car up to 90 mph. The car has 188,000 miles and has a manual transmission. I don't believe that one tooth off on the timing chain can affect the computer timing so that the two cylinders would not fire.
Are ther any suggestions? Battlebots Judge.
Old 09-05-2002, 10:52 AM
I'm needing a caw

Crank angle sensor is damaged?
Old 09-05-2002, 11:01 AM

You are definately one tooth off on your timing chain.

MardiGrasMax had this same problem on a rebuilt engine he bought last year. I helped him change the engine, but I wasn't there when he finally fixed the timing chain orientation. He said that it is very easy to miss by one tooth.
Old 09-10-2002, 08:05 AM

Originally posted by sinewave
You are definately one tooth off on your timing chain.

MardiGrasMax had this same problem on a rebuilt engine he bought last year. I helped him change the engine, but I wasn't there when he finally fixed the timing chain orientation. He said that it is very easy to miss by one tooth.
Sinewave, thanks for the informaition. I will tell the guy's at the Nissan dealership what you said and they can check out the timing chain? I did pull off all the valve covers and checked the timing by rotating the crank and checking the valves whether they were open or closed and they were right on. Still, one tooth is not that much to my way of thinking but it could be that you can't tell the valves are off by one tooth. Still the number 1 and 3 cylinders are still not firing, so I will have them redo the timing chain. The Nissan guys have been quite helpful and are not running up the tab on my car, they are trying but are stumped. Once again I thank you for your help. BattleBots Judge.
Old 09-10-2002, 09:32 AM

We also pulled off the front valve cover and noted the camshaft position after we rotated the crankshaft to TDC on #1 piston. We had the luxury of having another engine to compare it to. There was a very noticable difference between them; about 5-10 degrees. This is what confirmed the timing chain problem.