4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Arrgh! Can't unscrew fuel filter line!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2002, 10:03 AM

Arrgh! Can't unscrew fuel filter line!!!

Well I'm trying to change my fuel filter but can't unscrew the screws to loosen the hoses. I can't even get the top one!! May just have a shop do this when my tranny fluid gets changed.
Old 07-27-2002, 10:06 AM

Re: Arrgh! Can't unscrew fuel filter line!!!

Originally posted by JR_Anders
Well I'm trying to change my fuel filter but can't unscrew the screws to loosen the hoses. I can't even get the top one!! May just have a shop do this when my tranny fluid gets changed.
Take the filter out of the bracket that it rests in. Then you can turn the filter different directions to loosen the screws. Then you have to kind of twist and pull at the same time to get the lines off.

Be sure to pull your fuel pump fuse and try to start the car before you try it though. Otherwise you'll still have plenty of pressure in the system and plenty of gas in your face!
Old 07-27-2002, 01:22 PM

i just changed my fuel filter the other day. it's really easy if you take off your intake. you will have lots of room. once you get that out, pull the whole filter out of the bracket. rotate it so you can get to the screws. once the screws are off i had to use a flat head screwdriver to pry the hoses off. they were really stuck on there even w/o the screw thingy. a friend of mine suggested using a 300zx filter. it's a lot fatter, but it does fit. just shove it in the bracket and the bracket will open up to hold the larger filter. supposedly they last 2x as long.
Old 07-27-2002, 01:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Arrgh! Can't unscrew fuel filter line!!!

Originally posted by JdawgX

Take the filter out of the bracket that it rests in. Then you can turn the filter different directions to loosen the screws. Then you have to kind of twist and pull at the same time to get the lines off.

Be sure to pull your fuel pump fuse and try to start the car before you try it though. Otherwise you'll still have plenty of pressure in the system and plenty of gas in your face!
what are you talking about!
JdawgX helped me replace mine, and he got a nice big squirt in his eye. He got the screws loose, but I worked the hoses off. Once the screws are loose, the hoses will still be on good. You have to twist the hoses and the filter against eachother and work the hoses off.

good luck!
Old 07-27-2002, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by Kanaka
i just changed my fuel filter the other day. it's really easy if you take off your intake. you will have lots of room. once you get that out, pull the whole filter out of the bracket. rotate it so you can get to the screws. once the screws are off i had to use a flat head screwdriver to pry the hoses off. they were really stuck on there even w/o the screw thingy. a friend of mine suggested using a 300zx filter. it's a lot fatter, but it does fit. just shove it in the bracket and the bracket will open up to hold the larger filter. supposedly they last 2x as long.
Lots of room? damn you must have girly hands! j/k, its not that roomy.
Old 07-27-2002, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by skeelo34

Lots of room? damn you must have girly hands! j/k, its not that roomy.
My hands arent that small but theres barely room to work with just enough. If you pay for someone to do it theyll charge you cheapest $60 just rotate the filter it comes off the bracket if you pull on it.
Old 07-27-2002, 05:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Arrgh! Can't unscrew fuel filter line!!!

Try this, get yourself 2 feet of 3/8 in ID high pressure fuel hose and some good clamps at an auto parts place. I would then relieve fuel pressure by leaving gas cap off over night. Tomorrow morning when everything is cool replace the fuel filter using this procedure. Follow top fuel filter line to where it attaches to engine, loosen the clamp and slide it back and slice the hose (utility knife) end that is on the metal pipe. You should be able to peel the upper hose off the metal pipe. Cut the bottom hose on the fuel filter as close as you can to the fuel filter using diaginal cutters. There is usually plenty of hose on the bottom of the fuel so cutting a small amount off shouldn't hurt anything. You'll now have the fuel filter in your hand. Attach a piece of hose the same length as the old upper hose to the top of new filter with a new clamp. Put new clamp on bottom gas filter hose and slide bottom of filter into this hose. Put gas filter in retaining clamp and attach upper gas hose to metal pipe you took it off of. Tighten all clamps, put gas cap back on and start engine to check for leaks. No leaks, throw old gas filter as far as you can then stomp on it. If this takes you more 30 minutes auto mechanics is not your forte