4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Just Put Nightrider's Intake In...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2002, 07:20 PM
Carpe Diem....

Well, Rich and I just finished putting one of his custom made hybrid intakes on. All I can say is, AWESOME!!!! The responsiveness from the throttle is amazing. I mean the car feels as though I have complete control through the entire rpm range. Just sitting after having it put in, I decided to let the engine breathe. My car opens up all the way to 7000 rpm's now. Mind you, I am all stock except for this one performance mod. We didn't have any fitment issues as well. The intake fits nice and snug with very little room to spare. We put it on the road, and basically, since it rained not to long ago, i can't really give you guys an accurate account of what happened. But I will post a little something tommorrow when the roads dry up before revealing what type of performance gains a got. But all I can say is that traction was a big deterent from having a lot of fun tonight. Rich and I plan on painting our intakes this weekend so that we can post some pics. Thanks Rich for the great intake Damn this intake feels well beyond what the rest of the car can actually do. It feels as though I have inbetween a small block and a big block when I go WOT. I wish more of you guys were around to hear it.
Old 07-24-2002, 07:33 PM

Re: Just Put Nightrider's Intake In...

Originally posted by kwamdoo74
Well, Rich and I just finished putting one of his custom made hybrid intakes on. All I can say is, AWESOME!!!! The responsiveness from the throttle is amazing. I mean the car feels as though I have complete control through the entire rpm range. Just sitting after having it put in, I decided to let the engine breathe. My car opens up all the way to 7000 rpm's now. Mind you, I am all stock except for this one performance mod. We didn't have any fitment issues as well. The intake fits nice and snug with very little room to spare. We put it on the road, and basically, since it rained not to long ago, i can't really give you guys an accurate account of what happened. But I will post a little something tommorrow when the roads dry up before revealing what type of performance gains a got. But all I can say is that traction was a big deterent from having a lot of fun tonight. Rich and I plan on painting our intakes this weekend so that we can post some pics. Thanks Rich for the great intake Damn this intake feels well beyond what the rest of the car can actually do. It feels as though I have inbetween a small block and a big block when I go WOT. I wish more of you guys were around to hear it.

Good job!!

Is this intake a "home depot" hybrid? Or did you use other materials? Have fun with it!!
Old 07-24-2002, 07:43 PM

Did you have to relocate your battery.
Old 07-24-2002, 07:56 PM

How did you get to 7000 RPM without an Modded RCU????
Old 07-24-2002, 07:57 PM
Carpe Diem....

Originally posted by SLC I30t
Did you have to relocate your battery.
No, we kept it up front. Nightrider's was relocated to the back and he thought that mine sounded just as loud as his. The power crave has begun, next mod y-pipe. Budget or WSP??
Old 07-24-2002, 07:57 PM

Make that ECU>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 07-24-2002, 07:58 PM
Carpe Diem....

Re: Re: Just Put Nightrider's Intake In...

Originally posted by JustTry

Good job!!

Is this intake a "home depot" hybrid? Or did you use other materials? Have fun with it!!

Home Depot/Pep Boys
Old 07-24-2002, 08:15 PM
Carpe Diem....

Re: Re: Re: Just Put Nightrider's Intake In...

Home Depot/Pep Boys
I'll take that back, we only used some nuts and bolts from home depot, other than that, Pep Boys and a local race shop
Old 07-24-2002, 08:54 PM

Got any pics?
Old 07-24-2002, 09:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by arrow96
How did you get to 7000 RPM without an Modded ECU????
my thoughts exactly
Old 07-25-2002, 01:33 PM

Its all part of the intake design. Maximum flow, minimum resistance, and it also helps that I make each one to work with the characteristics of the car. No two intakes are alike. I'll have pictures soon. My intake required relocating the battery, but I can make exceptions to that.
Old 07-25-2002, 01:46 PM

Re: Re: Just Put Nightrider's Intake In...

Originally posted by NightRider

Its all part of the intake design. Maximum flow, minimum resistance, and it also helps that I make each one to work with the characteristics of the car. No two intakes are alike. I'll have pictures soon. My intake required relocating the battery, but I can make exceptions to that.
It doesn't make any difference how "custom" your intake is, the ECU cuts off fuel to the engine at 6500 RPM. The only way to get to 7000 is with a modded ECU... My guess is that your tach is whacko...
Old 07-25-2002, 03:24 PM
Carpe Diem....

Your guess is as good as mine. You might need to ask the maker of the intake "Nightrider". To bad Papasmurf wasn't around.
Old 07-25-2002, 03:29 PM

Re: Re: Re: Just Put Nightrider's Intake In...

It doesn't make any difference how "custom" your intake is, the ECU cuts off fuel to the engine at 6500 RPM. The only way to get to 7000 is with a modded ECU... My guess is that your tach is whacko...
Old 07-25-2002, 03:42 PM
Carpe Diem....

Re: Re: Re: Re: Just Put Nightrider's Intake In...

Originally posted by Miasma

Well your assumptions are completely wrong. The fuel cut-off is designed to catch the revs before it goes to deep in to the redline. The intake makes the car rev fast as hell past 4000 rpms. The ecu doesn't have enough time to catch the engine before it gets to 7000 rpms. If you don't beleive me ask a few others with the same intake, Papasmurf, Nightrider, Cashj2002, or Maximillian. The intake sucks in just so much air. Oh yeah, i'm an AUTOMAGIC. SLi30t, you don't have to move the battery, for the sound. Nightrider and my intake basically sound the same. My inake is an inch shorter than Nightriders.
Old 07-25-2002, 03:54 PM

i still dont buy it
Old 07-25-2002, 04:11 PM
Carpe Diem....

Originally posted by Miasma
i still dont buy it

You don't have to buy it, because obviously you have a Frankencar. But all you need to do is do what i asked earlier, ask those members i named earlier. Sorry your Frankencar hasn't given you you same type of results. But it sounds like you're a "hater".
Old 07-25-2002, 04:34 PM
Honda Convert!

My intake!!

Hey guys sorry i wasnt around this weekend my girl just god back from a three week trip in europe so i had to spend sopme time with her but this inake was invented by me about two years ago and since i shared the idea with richard we started our ouwn company called fast lane performance. Since then we have improved the design and have creaded two different types a type where you have to move the battery and the other you dont, but if you have any questions just ask ill be sure to responed. And trust me this was designed by two guys who know there maximas and are not afraid to take any chances.

Bruce
Old 07-25-2002, 04:45 PM
Carpe Diem....

Re: My intake!!

Originally posted by papasmurf
Hey guys sorry i wasnt around this weekend my girl just god back from a three week trip in europe so i had to spend sopme time with her but this inake was invented by me about two years ago and since i shared the idea with richard we started our ouwn company called fast lane performance. Since then we have improved the design and have creaded two different types a type where you have to move the battery and the other you dont, but if you have any questions just ask ill be sure to responed. And trust me this was designed by two guys who know there maximas and are not afraid to take any chances.

Bruce

Rich and I thought you we may never hear from you again. We are gonna paint them this weekend so that we can post a pic. We all need to hook up. I gotta take this damn racing stripe off this weekend as well
Old 07-25-2002, 07:36 PM

ECU fuel cut off.

After talking to Rich this was a Neutral rev. Meaning that when the fuel cut off happens, there is still pressure in the lines and the engine burns that fuel pressure down. thats how you get to 7k. it wont run consistantly at 7k, just will peak. It's not difficult to do, and if you have less restriction then its even easier to do.
Old 07-25-2002, 09:06 PM

so does that mean with the JWT ecu you will hit 8000rpm if you try? what is the breaking point of the VQ?
Old 07-25-2002, 10:04 PM

Rev limiter...

Hey,

I have taken my car up to 7000rpm in 3rd gear no problem w/out a modded ECU, and that's when the Rev limiter kicked in. My car is stock by the way...

Peace.
Old 07-26-2002, 12:58 AM

Kwame, you'll really get suprised when your car downshifts and you hit the rev limiter while moving!! It has happened to me twice and remember, I'm an automatic too.

Believe me guys, no one is making this up. Many members have seen what our intake does. Quarter mile times will improve, but that is not what it is designed for. This intake is designed to improve overall drivability of the car. It really shines on the highway. Papasmurf and I have built two of the fastest highway runners so far on Max.org.

Papasmurf really stumbled onto something when he made this intake. He made the first hybrid intake before Frankencar was even thought of. With the help of me, we tried several methods to improve the design, giving back what the Auto Maxima Owners wanted...Torque. The intake is something that no other manufacturer has even touched on. It is a tuned length intake designed and based on a simple calculation of short runner, long runner design, giving you the best of both worlds... Eye-peeling torque and killer top-end power. Each intake is made to be car-specific. You tell us how you want your car to drive, and we'll design the perfect intake for you. We have two types. One is similar to Frankencar with a twist, the other is a full race style. The latter requires you to relocate the battery. A few of our local members have the intake and can attest to the improvements that it made to their car.

Miasma: No one is asking you to jump on our bandwagon, we just would like it to be known that there is a potential that a lot of you are missing out on. Kwamdoo74 was about to buy a Frankencar intake, but decided to give us a try. He is clearly not disappointed. I'm also not here to bad mouth Frankencar at all. They're doing great for what they do. Just remember though, there is always going to be someone out there that's better.
Old 07-28-2002, 05:40 AM
Honda Convert!

Yeah I agree 100% with richard on this one you all need to relize one thing we designed this intake for one thing and thats high end power and we additionaly got low end torque with it. Research has gone into the design of this intake for over a year and a half and these pipes are designed for the car not a replica of something already in existance.

Bruce
Old 07-28-2002, 06:22 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

dyno

I would like to see dyno results showing this intake can make the rev limiter kick in at 7000rpm instead of 6500. If you are going by the tach, please be aware that at WOT, it can be off by some 400rpm (over actual). I'm not buying the explainations given on how the fuel cut effects are delayed by 500 rpm. The intake may be good, but you guys saying the redline is now 7000rpm really discredits you... kind of like tornado making claims that are unproven.
Old 07-28-2002, 07:15 AM

dyno

I agree, Let's see the dyno pulls with horsepower and torque at 7000... You talk the talk now walk the walk...
Old 07-28-2002, 07:39 AM

Re: dyno

I agree, Let's see the dyno pulls with horsepower and torque at 7000... You talk the talk now walk the walk...
To be fair, I only see customers of the new FLP intake making the claims of the 7000rpm rev limit. However, NightRider seems to suggest that this is true and I notice Papasmurf makes no direct mention of the issue. Now, I don't own an auto so I can only speak with experience from the my 5-spd point of view, but I can safely say that NO intake will allow you to extend the rev limiter up to 7000rpm. The fuel cut reacts fast and it's effect substantial. At high rpm, fuel requirements are high... residual fuel pressure will not take you into higher rpm!
Old 07-28-2002, 08:32 AM

Is this intake supposed to be superior to any other hybrid intake? How about some pics? What is special about it? Is it something to do with the length or is it tubing diameter also? Could you make one that comes straight off the throttle body and still keep the battery up front, maybe by moving one of those little fuse panels and sliding the battery? Any plans to dyno VS stock or another intake? How much are you planing on selling this for?

Is it similer to the one board member Sin designed - http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=132285? He claims to have gotten 12HP and 16 Ft lbs to the wheels with his intake & stock exhaust. I am definatly skeptical, but if it really works I would get one.

Wow, that's a crapload of questions , answer what you can.

I agree that saying this intake somehow makes the engine go past the rev limiter discredits you. If it's good and works thats great, but exagerating and making false claims is just going to make people think it is all BS.
Old 07-28-2002, 12:25 PM

Re: Re: dyno

Originally posted by Mishmosh

To be fair, I only see customers of the new FLP intake making the claims of the 7000rpm rev limit. However, NightRider seems to suggest that this is true and I notice Papasmurf makes no direct mention of the issue. Now, I don't own an auto so I can only speak with experience from the my 5-spd point of view, but I can safely say that NO intake will allow you to extend the rev limiter up to 7000rpm. The fuel cut reacts fast and it's effect substantial. At high rpm, fuel requirements are high... residual fuel pressure will not take you into higher rpm!
I don't think anyone is claiming that their intake is allowing the car to Rev to 7 grand, If you don't think you're car can do it. Get on the freeway go 80mph and down shift into second gear. Your Fuel cut off Revlimiting but is going to go to 8500rpms. I don't think thats what is happening here. Your car at idle should have up to 15psi of fuel in the line. When you pull the Fuel Pump fuse your car will continue to run for a few seconds while the fuel pressure drops. I ASSUME thats why this guys Tach overrevved. Your needle doesn't hit a brick wall at 6500 rpms. It is true that the higher RPMs your tack does fall off of its alignment, all analog gauges have this problem.
Old 07-28-2002, 01:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: dyno

[B]I don't think anyone is claiming that their intake is allowing the car to Rev to 7 grand, If you don't think you're car can do it. Get on the freeway go 80mph and down shift into second gear. Your Fuel cut off Revlimiting but is going to go to 8500rpms. [B]
I think it is pretty clear that kwamdoo74 says his car rev'd up to 7000 rpm because of this intake. Then Nightrider suggests that this is true owing to their design. And then you theorized why this might happen. I and others question this. We are not talking about downshifting into an inappropriate gear and having the rpms exceed redline simply because of the speed the car is travelling at and the corresponding gear you are in. We are talking increasing rpm by throttle. The car does not increase 500 rpm by some magic momentum or residual fuel pressure--and certainly not by a different intake design that from what I can tell is not unique at all. That is like saying, if I go WOT with this intake and then let off/cut the gas, that the engine still surges +500rpm? Show me any 4th gen dyno plot that extends to 7000rpm without an ECU upgrade. All of the plots I have seen cut abruptly at around 6500rpm owing to the rev limiter.

My guess is that the tach needle approaches 7k rpm owing completely to the fact that the tach is in error. I would just like to hear from NightRider or Papasmurf what their official take on this is because obviously if they say they are custom tuning to customers performance goals, they must at least have one dyno of the intake.

For the record, I have a CAI and am quite happy with it. This is not to say that I don't approve of all the different intakes that are coming out for the max. I applaud such efforts, especially when org members are developing the goods. However, I feel that there is just too much hype and not enough truth of late--and that goes for a lot of brands/parts discussed on the org.
Old 07-28-2002, 01:52 PM

Well I gotta chime in now. I've witnessed the effects of the intake on Richards car and it is very impressive with a beautiful sound. To see how effortlessly his car spins the 17 or 18's he has, with an auto is amazing. I'm really impressed with the intake and may get one as well. I'm waiting for a VI so I don't know if that will affect the breathing characteristics of my car - that is why I'm holding off for now. Good luck w/ your intakes.
Old 07-28-2002, 03:08 PM
Redlinemax Owner

yeah i saw this intake at work today and waas quite impressed. I was originally going to get the frankencar but i will be getting one of these. the sound of the intake is like whoa and nightrider is still running a stock exhaust. Very true he can definately spin those wheels like a champ. but i guess everyone will get to see pics as soon as SLCI30t is finished with the new gem.
Old 07-28-2002, 03:22 PM

Re: My intake!!

Originally posted by papasmurf
...my girl just god back from a three week trip in europe so i had to spend sopme time with her but...
Ah, spending time with da butt...
Old 07-28-2002, 03:29 PM

Re: Re: My intake!!

Rich and I thought you we may never hear from you again. We are gonna paint them this weekend so that we can post a pic. We all need to hook up. I gotta take this damn racing stripe off this weekend as well
Any pics yet?

RL
Old 07-28-2002, 04:29 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: dyno

Originally posted by Mishmosh

I think it is pretty clear that kwamdoo74 says his car rev'd up to 7000 rpm because of this intake. Then Nightrider suggests that this is true owing to their design. And then you theorized why this might happen. I and others question this. We are not talking about downshifting into an inappropriate gear and having the rpms exceed redline simply because of the speed the car is travelling at and the corresponding gear you are in. We are talking increasing rpm by throttle. The car does not increase 500 rpm by some magic momentum or residual fuel pressure--and certainly not by a different intake design that from what I can tell is not unique at all. That is like saying, if I go WOT with this intake and then let off/cut the gas, that the engine still surges +500rpm? Show me any 4th gen dyno plot that extends to 7000rpm without an ECU upgrade. All of the plots I have seen cut abruptly at around 6500rpm owing to the rev limiter.

My guess is that the tach needle approaches 7k rpm owing completely to the fact that the tach is in error. I would just like to hear from NightRider or Papasmurf what their official take on this is because obviously if they say they are custom tuning to customers performance goals, they must at least have one dyno of the intake.

For the record, I have a CAI and am quite happy with it. This is not to say that I don't approve of all the different intakes that are coming out for the max. I applaud such efforts, especially when org members are developing the goods. However, I feel that there is just too much hype and not enough truth of late--and that goes for a lot of brands/parts discussed on the org.
Blah Blah Blah Blah
Kwamie also said that he drove 200 miles on a 1/4 tank of gas... Obviously he had exagerated about that. Point is, you are talking about plots on a car with a load on it(fuel is cut and spent more quickly) It's pulling the weight and resistance of the car. In a neutral rev(Meaning not in drive) There is less weight and really no resistance against the crank. If your car is still running at WOT when the Fuel Pump Cut Off hits it will continue to at WOT till the engine consumes the residual. I'm not offering this as a "what happend" excuse.. I wasn't there. I have seen my RPMS peak at well over 6500 rpms when the throttle was stuck in an open position from a hose clamp. It bounced off of the rev limiter a good 6-10 times while I was in a panic how to stop the throttle. Each bounce was from about 6300-6700+. It wasn't like my car ran at a consistant 6700 rpms, they would just rise and fall with 6700 beeing the apex of the rising rpm needle. I do know that my cars needle is on que, from monitoring it while on a dyno. If you think that the theory of this happening is invalid- Go outside and give it a try. I do think that richard needs to do some more explaining on this.
Old 07-28-2002, 05:19 PM

After reading this thread...

I WANT THIS INTAKE!!! CAN'T ANYBODY GET ONE FOR ME?

Seriously though... eMail me if you can. I want it bad.
-Cyrus
Old 07-28-2002, 05:36 PM
OG

Re: After reading this thread...

ditto

Originally posted by Vyrus
I WANT THIS INTAKE!!! CAN'T ANYBODY GET ONE FOR ME?

Seriously though... eMail me if you can. I want it bad.
-Cyrus
Old 07-28-2002, 06:55 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: dyno

I do know that my cars needle is on que, from monitoring it while on a dyno. If you think that the theory of this happening is invalid- Go outside and give it a try.
I do have real world experience. I have a rpm shiftlight and a variable intake actuator. Both activate a good 300-400 rpm AFTER what they were set for -- but this according to the tach. The tach is just plain over reading when going WOT. When you slowly up the tach, it is accurate but not when you jump on it. And yes, I have seen my tach well into the redline before the fuel cut but again, the tach is off. And no, the momentum of a moving car will not increase rpm when the fuel cut takes hold. Again, we are not talking 100 or even 200 rpm. We are talking a whopping 500rpm over the rev limit. Let's just say that if our cars kept surging 500rpm if we suddenly let off the throttle, that would be grossly unsafe. The fuel cut is much more severe than letting off the pedal.
Old 07-28-2002, 08:41 PM

Well put mishmosh. Do you have your VI yet?
Old 07-28-2002, 09:18 PM
Carpe Diem....

I will point out on this tread as i did the other that i did exagerate my findings on my 200 mile trip. I stated that i used a little over a 1/4 of a tank of gas on the trip. Well, that's not true. I just took the trip tonight, and it was 198 miles, while using 6.5 gallons. Otherword 30.46 mpg. I don't know what regular max's run on the highway in dealing with their gas consumption. But those are the numbers. And numbers don't lie. This is definitely more than a 1/4 of a tank and that statement was made by sight rather than numbers and i will be the first one to apologize for misleading anyone off of my first comments about the "1/4 tank of gas thing".

Quick Reply: Just Put Nightrider's Intake In...