4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

No One Ever Answered the Wood Dash Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 02:05 PM

No One Ever Answered the Wood Dash Question

I want to install a factory wood dash. Has anyone done this? Is it worth the effort/money as opposed to aftermarket?

I've already done a search on wood dashes, and trim w/tan leather interiors, etc. The only answers I seem to find are to get an aftermarket one, and noone even answers whether or not to use, or how to install the factory version.

I don't want to buy an aftermarket dash because I don't want one that is too dull, or too red or any crap like that (since I haven't seen any aftermarket ones in person, and the ones online look cheap, and have bad color to them). Perhaps people could just post or e-mail me their examples.

Thanks,
Walter
Old 07-16-2002, 04:21 PM

you can order the entire after market kit with the same color as oem wood. it looks a lot better than the factory kit cuz the factory kit isnt wood its plastic.
Old 07-16-2002, 05:00 PM

Dude, never knew that OEM wuz crappy plastic! Thanks bro.
-W
Old 07-16-2002, 05:14 PM

Re: No One Ever Answered the Wood Dash Question

Follow the link in my SIG... I have some shots of my interior there, with a real Walnut Burl dash overlay. Got it from the Joshua Tree. It was a little pricey, but worth it. Don't go with immitation... you'll always know its fake.
Old 07-16-2002, 05:18 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: No One Ever Answered the Wood Dash Question

Originally posted by thisasian
I want to install a factory wood dash. Has anyone done this? Is it worth the effort/money as opposed to aftermarket?

I've already done a search on wood dashes, and trim w/tan leather interiors, etc. The only answers I seem to find are to get an aftermarket one, and noone even answers whether or not to use, or how to install the factory version.

I don't want to buy an aftermarket dash because I don't want one that is too dull, or too red or any crap like that (since I haven't seen any aftermarket ones in person, and the ones online look cheap, and have bad color to them). Perhaps people could just post or e-mail me their examples.

Thanks,
Walter

Don't bother. It is cheap, fake plastic. The first thing I did was trade it out for real wood.
Old 07-16-2002, 05:26 PM

LOL, ok... now I'm convinced. But there are still two things I must know.

1) Will I have to remove my dash to install the new Wood trim? My tach is broken and my Bose receiver is being a, well... crappy Bose POS, I want to replace them sometime soon. Would this be one of those opportune times when I could stockpile to do them all at once?

2) I want to get the https://maxima.org/shoptalk/sub_modifications/mod_i30_pt1/index.shtml ]Pop out tray Compartment[/URL] from the I30, will I be able to replace the wood on the I30 piece to match my new trim?

Thanks,
W
Old 07-16-2002, 05:56 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

LOL, ok... now I'm convinced. But there are still two things I must know.

1) Will I have to remove my dash to install the new Wood trim? My tach is broken and my Bose receiver is being a, well... crappy Bose POS, I want to replace them sometime soon. Would this be one of those opportune times when I could stockpile to do them all at once?

2) I want to get the https://maxima.org/shoptalk/sub_modifications/mod_i30_pt1/index.shtml ]Pop out tray Compartment[/URL] from the I30, will I be able to replace the wood on the I30 piece to match my new trim?

Thanks,
W
1) No removal. I did because I had to get rid of my fake crap. But you won't. It sticks right over. I'm actually not usually a 'stick-over' kind of guy but it works real with the Max because it raises it just perfect to be flush with the dash board (except for the window switches).

2) It doesn't have to be an I30. GLEs have them too. And, no you can't (that I know of) replace the wood on the push-out. The best I could do was paint it black and then stick my new wood over.

Good luck.
Old 07-16-2002, 08:47 PM

So... all of the "dash kits" people talk about are all stick on types?

W
Old 07-17-2002, 08:19 AM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

So... all of the "dash kits" people talk about are all stick on types?

W

Yes. Always.