4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Nissan oil filter....bogus?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2002, 12:36 PM

Nissan oil filter....bogus?

Hey guys,
I just called my local Nissan dealer and asked if I could "upsize" the oil filter on my '97 SE? He said "No! Just use the part that was made for that engine...". I was ok with that, but then he said "what type of oil filter are you using? Nissan?" I told him no, I was going to get either a Fram or Deuotsh(sp?) He went off on me!

He said "DO NOT USE THOSE FILTERS ON YOUR CAR!! Well, you can if you're not going to keep your car long. Those "other" filters don't have a **CHECK VALVE** and because of that, all the oil drains out of the filters after every shutoff, then when you go to start the engine,...there's NO OIL!! If you use those "other" filters you will cut the life of your cams ***IN HALF***"

I was like what the hell?!?!

So now i'm off to buy a $6 oil filter from Nissan.

Is this crap?
Old 07-05-2002, 12:41 PM
syc

Re: Nissan oil filter....bogus?

if that's true, half of the .org memebers won't even be driving.
but, I only use the nissan filters though. I think they not expensive and proven to work great. and somebody here actually test the filter with the others.
Old 07-05-2002, 01:02 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

At one time FRAM made an excellent filter but their current line is poor and I would noy use them at all. Deutsche is a filter sold by Advance Auto but is made by someone else. I will rank my personal filter choices 1. AMSOIL / BALDWIN (BALDWIN makes AMSOIL FILTERS) 2. MOBILE ONE with Synthetic media. 3.NISSAN OEM.
Be well!!!!
Old 07-05-2002, 01:03 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

The check valve thing is true. Certain aftermarket filter do have them...ie..Mobil 1, STP. I use Mobil 1 or Nissan oil filters. If you change your own oil, it's much cheaper to mail order OEM oil filters from a discount dealership. I got them for about $3 each from Maxwell Nissan. Check below for other sources of discount nissan parts.

1. Tustin

Tustin Nissan has been a Nissan/Datsun Dealer under the same family ownership since 1972.
We also offer aftermarket accessories such as Razo, APC, PIAA, Euro Lite, Car Mate, Pilot Motorsports, and many others at great prices.
Please visit our cool website with "online parts advisors" standing by now to help with your parts needs at : www.tustinnissan.com
or call 800 225-2905 or 714 669-8282 ask for Matt

2. Maxwell (Town North) Nissan.

1-800-251-7278
512-451-7411 Ask for Dave Brunette
Old 07-05-2002, 01:03 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Look in the Engine section about the Nissan Oil Filter....

http://www.motorvate.ca/
Old 07-05-2002, 01:43 PM

website reviewing oil filters

From what I've gathered fram makes a ****poor oil filter. The valve thing is semi-true...it has one but it's cheap so oil drains out slowly, resulting in the harsh morning start-up. In higher quality oil filters the valves are of better quality reducing the effects of morning start-up.. here's a site you guys may find helpful

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml

My 2 cents
Old 07-05-2002, 02:00 PM

Wix from o'reilly is also a good filter. I use nissan or wix.
Old 07-16-2002, 12:16 PM

one more thought

I noticed that the Motorcraft filter for the Maxima has a central sprung antidrainback valve and more threads at the attachment point. Its also a bit heavier (sturdier/more filter element?) I didn't see those features in the other brands available (but didn't look at the Mobil 1's or compared with Nissan's) These are slightly more expensive but seem to be available at Autozone/PepBoys etc. and are probably better than the Fram junk and the like.
Old 07-16-2002, 02:34 PM

The Nissan OEM filter is so inexpensive I don't see why more people don't use it. It has been proven to be a solid performer, and at $5 a pop (less online) it is a great deal.

The other day at Kragen I was browsing around and saw a FRAM filter for $6. I was thinking, who would buy the orange FRAM for $6 when the Nissan OEM unit is cheaper, and performs better??

Oh the check valve is also called the anti-drainback valve. Almost all filters have it. I think even the cheap orange FRAM has one. There is another unrelated valve called the bypass valve. All filters have that too.
Old 07-16-2002, 03:46 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Re: one more thought

Originally posted by icemax
I noticed that the Motorcraft filter for the Maxima has a central sprung antidrainback valve and more threads at the attachment point. Its also a bit heavier (sturdier/more filter element?) I didn't see those features in the other brands available (but didn't look at the Mobil 1's or compared with Nissan's) These are slightly more expensive but seem to be available at Autozone/PepBoys etc. and are probably better than the Fram junk and the like.
That particular design is what is optimal, and something even the Nissan OEM filters don't do.

Which Motorcraft are you using? I know the following are supposed to work:

FL-822
FL-821
FL-814
FL-752
FL-295

I always strike out when trying to find any of them, though.
Old 07-16-2002, 06:25 PM

- A friend and I were discussing this one day when we were changing our oil... He mentioned that Mazda had three different filters that they sold as OEM equipment around the world. Two were manufactured in the U.S. and the Japanese spec filter was manufactured in Japan, itself. Both the European and American filters were pretty crappy and did not filter well. Many aftermarket brands like Bosch and Mobil 1 were far superior. However, the JDM filter was even better than those aftermarket filters!

- If you want to test how good your filter is, just time how long it takes for oil to drain into the filter when you're prepping it to go on the car. The best filters take forever for the oil to drain in - sometimes its quicker to start prepping them before you even open your drain-plug! The worst filters drain very quickly, meaning that they are very porous. In my opinion, the American Nissan filters are pretty crappy. While I haven't had any oil-related problems yet, I intend to start buying Bosch filters as soon as my Nissan supply runs out. Peace of mind at the very least.
Old 07-16-2002, 07:02 PM
JsL

If you order online, you have to pay at least 7 dollars shipping. Say the filter is 3 dollars online plus 7 dollar shipping compared to 6.99 at a local store plus tax and the gas it took to get there. I think the local nissan dealership is cheaper and you get the product right away, instead of waiting for UPS ground shipping.
Old 07-16-2002, 08:46 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Not if you buy a case of 10, that's what I do Anyway, I'm going to start using Bosch or STP since Autozone carries them.

Originally posted by JsL
If you order online, you have to pay at least 7 dollars shipping. Say the filter is 3 dollars online plus 7 dollar shipping compared to 6.99 at a local store plus tax and the gas it took to get there. I think the local nissan dealership is cheaper and you get the product right away, instead of waiting for UPS ground shipping.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:46 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Does anyone use Purolator or know how good they are? I have always bought them.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:57 PM

Re: Re: one more thought

Originally posted by bill99gxe

That particular design is what is optimal, and something even the Nissan OEM filters don't do.

Which Motorcraft are you using? I know the following are supposed to work:

FL-822
FL-821
FL-814
FL-752
FL-295

I always strike out when trying to find any of them, though.

I use the FL-821. I usually find them at Autozone. I've also used the Purolator PurOne, which they claim is very good - but it has no anti-drainback valve.
Old 07-17-2002, 06:14 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Re: Re: Re: one more thought

Originally posted by icemax

I use the FL-821. I usually find them at Autozone. I've also used the Purolator PurOne, which they claim is very good - but it has no anti-drainback valve.
Ok, thanks. I guess I need to re-check for the 821 at autozone.

BTW, the PureONEs do have anti-drainback valves. Their filtering media tends to restrict oilflow by "overfiltering" to some degree and a lot of "purists" won't use that filter because of it.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:43 AM

check ebay for those OE Filters. I got a set of 10 for around $18 shipped to my door (that was about a year ago). They are shrink wrapped so no foreign materials can get into the filter prior to installation. Seem to work fine for me and I have 122K miles.