4th Generation Classifieds (1995-1999) The highly sought after variable intake may be a click away.

FS: My Quad Projector Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 10:50 PM

FS: My Quad Projector Retrofit

So it seems like I'll be moving on to bigger and better things.

I have a new lighting project in the works, and it's going to be wild.

I picked up another set of headlights, and I was thinking about how I could replace parts on my current retrofit, and what I could replace parts with, and then I realized that I might as well just sell my current retrofit and start over fresh, rather than going through the trouble of dismantling it and selling parts individually.

This includes:
R34 projector headlights
Catera H1 HID (your choice of color temperature)
2 x HID ballasts
MDX H11 halogen high beam projectors
Custom shrouds (as seen in pictures)
Wiring harness.

Asking price is $500.

If you are in NYC, NJ, DE, MD, or Philadelphia, we can arrange a local pickup.
if you are not, then we can arrange shipping (I still have the original box for the R34s... usually when I ship headlights it costs $25 or so)

Last edited by nalc; 03-12-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:32 AM

No chips or anything?/ are these 97-99 only?
Old 03-13-2010, 12:44 PM

glws i beleive they fit 95-99
Old 03-13-2010, 02:17 PM

Lenses are in perfect condition. Fits all 4th gens 95-99
Old 03-13-2010, 02:17 PM

hey I'm interested in these. Is everything Plug and play & any body mods necessary on my part? I want to switch to these from a stock setup. Lemme know the details. PM me please.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by QueensMaxima83
hey I'm interested in these. Is everything Plug and play & any body mods necessary on my part? I want to switch to these from a stock setup. Lemme know the details. PM me please.
It's very easy to install. No modifications required.

YOu just remove your stock headlights, bolt in a bracket, then atach the R34s. Wiring is a plug-and-play harness. There's a connector that plugs into your factory headlight connector, then ring terminals to connect to the battery, and then the harness connects to all the bulbs and ballasts.

I'll include a step-by-step install guide with pictures, and if you're picking them up locally, I'll install them for free. I can install them blindfolded. Not even joking - I've installed them in pitch black parking lots before.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by nalc
It's very easy to install. No modifications required.

YOu just remove your stock headlights, bolt in a bracket, then atach the R34s. Wiring is a plug-and-play harness. There's a connector that plugs into your factory headlight connector, then ring terminals to connect to the battery, and then the harness connects to all the bulbs and ballasts.

I'll include a step-by-step install guide with pictures, and if you're picking them up locally, I'll install them for free. I can install them blindfolded. Not even joking - I've installed them in pitch black parking lots before.
How long have you had them on the car? I also want to make sure the lights are fully working, & also concerned in changing the lights and doing service on them. Basically, Are these anything like the TSX projectors? ...... Whats a better offer you can go with these, I really want these too, but 500 seems a little too much for my budget. I'd like to do a local pickup, that would work best! Lemme know what you can do.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:17 PM

good luck with sale! wish i had the money to buy them.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:55 PM

How long have you had them on the car? I also want to make sure the lights are fully working, & also concerned in changing the lights and doing service on them. Basically, Are these anything like the TSX projectors? ...... Whats a better offer you can go with these, I really want these too, but 500 seems a little too much for my budget. I'd like to do a local pickup, that would work best! Lemme know what you can do.
They have under 1 month of total on-the-car use. I only drive a lot in the summer, and last summer I was parking in Camden so I kept them off the car for most of it.

Catera projectors aren't as good as the awesome projectors like S2000, FX, TL, etc. but they should be at least as good as TSX. Unfourtunately, I don't have any beamshots with HID bulbs, only with halogen bulbs. I don't have any H1 HID bulbs at the moment. I've found in the past that different people want different color temperature bulbs, so I haven't ordered the H1 HID bulbs yet so the seller can decide what color bulbs to get. The last picture in the original post is the beamshot with a halogen bulb. That's about 1700 lumens with the photo taken at -2 exposure, so it's brighter than that in real life. And since a HID bulb is 3200 lumens, it will be a lot brighter.

Bulb replacement isn't much more difficult than stock. The headlights need to be taken off the car to replace the high-beams, just because the radiator support is very close to the back of them. But once they're out, the bulbs just twist in. The low-beams are just a simple spring clip mechanism, and accessible while on the car.

PM me a reasonable offer, and I'll consider it.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:33 PM

They have under 1 month of total on-the-car use. I only drive a lot in the summer, and last summer I was parking in Camden so I kept them off the car for most of it.

Catera projectors aren't as good as the awesome projectors like S2000, FX, TL, etc. but they should be at least as good as TSX. Unfourtunately, I don't have any beamshots with HID bulbs, only with halogen bulbs. I don't have any H1 HID bulbs at the moment. I've found in the past that different people want different color temperature bulbs, so I haven't ordered the H1 HID bulbs yet so the seller can decide what color bulbs to get. The last picture in the original post is the beamshot with a halogen bulb. That's about 1700 lumens with the photo taken at -2 exposure, so it's brighter than that in real life. And since a HID bulb is 3200 lumens, it will be a lot brighter.

Bulb replacement isn't much more difficult than stock. The headlights need to be taken off the car to replace the high-beams, just because the radiator support is very close to the back of them. But once they're out, the bulbs just twist in. The low-beams are just a simple spring clip mechanism, and accessible while on the car.

PM me a reasonable offer, and I'll consider it.
Well I feel uncomfortable putting a price on something you worked very hard on. & i dont want to put a price on your labor. if they were brand new I'd feel more comfortable paying the asking offer.... where i feel skeptical is the future workmanship. for example: if they leak, malfunction, i have no one to go to get replacements or repairs. thats where i feel like I'm taking the biggest risk. there is no product warranty. i can offer 300.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:11 PM

Well I feel uncomfortable putting a price on something you worked very hard on. & i dont want to put a price on your labor. if they were brand new I'd feel more comfortable paying the asking offer.... where i feel skeptical is the future workmanship. for example: if they leak, malfunction, i have no one to go to get replacements or repairs. thats where i feel like I'm taking the biggest risk. there is no product warranty. i can offer 300.
Good Point. But, this may be best disscussed by PM system, just saying.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:33 PM

Projectors have no moving parts, so they don't actually break unless there is physical impact of some kind. There are three things that can go wrong with headlights

-Broken lenses
-Water leakage
-Bulb failure

Broken lenses, I can't do anything about. These are unmodified R34 lenses. They do not have any chips, scratches, or cracks in them. They're in perfect condition. Like any headlight, if you drive behind trucks on gravel roads, they might get some chips, scratches, or cracks. That's a fact of life, and is true of any headlight, stock or modified. I can say, though, that they will be in perfect condition when you receive them.

Water leakage. I will seal them as best I can. My previous retrofits I've sold have not had an issue with leakage. If for some reason, they do develop a leak, and you're a local buyer, you can stop by my place and I can remove the lenses, clean out any water, and re-seal them. Before I sell them, I'll thoroughly seal them and then spray a hose at them to simulate driving in the rain.

Bulb failure. The HID equipment I plan on including with this sale will be purchased by me from DDM if the buyer wants me to put it all together, or will be not be included with the sale if he already has a set of ballasts or bulbs that he wants to use. If you're doing BYOBB "Bring your own bulbs and ballasts", take $50 off the price. If you buy your own ballasts and bulbs, then it's on you. If you want me to order a DDM kit, then any issues can be resolved through DDM's lifetime warranty.

Please do not post any offers in the thread, and contact me via PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:14 PM

Sale is pending to x3game3x

Last edited by nalc; 03-14-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:51 PM

Sale still pending to x3game3x

Here is them how they stand now.

Tomorrow, they're going on the car for final aim. So far, results with my laser level show them to be adjusted within about a degree of the ideal setting for a dropped 4th gen.

Then, on Wednesday, they're going back to the retrofit lab to be sealed back up.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:48 PM

I'd take these in about a month, I just don't have the cash right now unfortunately Let me know if it falls through though.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:49 AM
pmr

Those are sweet! I'd spend money on them.

Let me know if the deal with x3game3x falls through.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:42 PM

still up for sale?
Old 03-16-2010, 06:04 PM

Put them on the car tonight, got the lowbeams aimed. Still need to make minor adjustments on the highs. The left highbeam is a bit too high, and the right highbeam is too low. However, now that the lows are correct, I can aim the highs in reference to the lows.

First set of pics:
The center cutoff

Low:

High:

Width. I got asked about this by a couple of people. For this, I parked the car at like a 45 degree angle on the driveway, so that the center of the car was facing the corner of the garage. So this is only the right half of the beam visible.

Low:

High (note how I said the right side highbeam needs to go up a lot)
Old 03-16-2010, 06:06 PM

And some down-the-road shots. Keep in mind, all of these pictures are taken with a 1700 lumen H1 halogen bulb in the low-beams. A 3200-3400 lumen H1 HID bulb will be significantly brighter. So consider these to show the beam pattern and the cutoff, and don't judge based simply on brightness:

Control shot (no lights)

Lows:

Highs:
Old 03-16-2010, 06:22 PM
pmr

Very nice even without HID's. Still interested.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:20 PM

Hopefully I can give these to x3game3x this weekend.

However, there seems to be a lot of demand for inexpensive retrofits. I plan on cranking out another one within the next month or two.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:23 PM

Hopefully I can give these to x3game3x this weekend.

However, there seems to be a lot of demand for inexpensive retrofits. I plan on cranking out another one within the next month or two.
sounds like a good idea as im broke right now, but in the future id def buy a set of these
Old 03-17-2010, 07:48 AM
pmr

Ya it looks like you do some really good work and there's always demand for that. The one and only issue I'd address with these is that the corners just seem so out of place with all that silver compared to the actual projectors. I'd like to see what they look like with all the "unnecessary" silver (i.e. NOT the pocket with the actual bulb) smoked/painted.

Great work, looking forward to more of these.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by pmr
Ya it looks like you do some really good work and there's always demand for that. The one and only issue I'd address with these is that the corners just seem so out of place with all that silver compared to the actual projectors. I'd like to see what they look like with all the "unnecessary" silver (i.e. NOT the pocket with the actual bulb) smoked/painted.

Great work, looking forward to more of these.
Eh, I've considered it, but I like the way it looks. Kinda like a BMW E46 M3.

Maybe I'll try blacking it out in Photoshop tonight, to see how it would look.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:54 PM

Aimed the high-beams this afternoon, then sealed up the backs, then put the lenses on. Adjusted the harness, and they're currently in the state that I expect to sell them in.

These pictures show the rear of the housing, and the harness.

Installation is simple - bolt on like regular R34 headlights.
There is a single 9004 connector that plugs into the driver side headlight socket
There are two ring terminals that go onto the battery

The high-beams are H11 bulbs with connectors

The low-beams terminate with 9006 connectors. This means that if you already have aftermarket ballasts (which almost everyone who was interested did), you just plug it right into the ballast.

The ballast will then plug into a H1 HID bulb (I'm not including one in the sale, since everyone has their own color preference), which then goes into the low-beam. It's not a complicated install.

Sale is still pending to x3game3x, but if you've PMed me an offer, I will let you know if they do become available again.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:52 PM
pmr

Eh, I've considered it, but I like the way it looks. Kinda like a BMW E46 M3.
Oh yeah I can see that. I think the contrast just caught me off guard a bit. I'm thinking now they'd look pretty badass on my white max.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I will buy the head lights i got the money to pay for them right away if you still have but would like them to be over nighted