3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

How to install This Spoiler

Old 08-20-2007, 09:02 AM
White_Shadow

How to install This Spoiler

Ok here's what I bought:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...143581513&rd=1

I've always like that spoiler and specially the center stoplight, but I just received saturday and after checking everything this wing seem to be supposed to secure from the bottom of the trunk, not with clips and rivets as the OEM 90 SE (the current one I have installed). so my question is, do i have to drill holes on the trunk to make this thing fit? anyone has installed this before so you can provide advice about the best way to install this spoiler. Thank you!
Old 08-20-2007, 10:11 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by rmdl51
Ok here's what I bought:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...143581513&rd=1

I've always like that spoiler and specially the center stoplight, but I just received saturday and after checking everything this wing seem to be supposed to secure from the bottom of the trunk, not with clips and rivets as the OEM 90 SE (the current one I have installed). so my question is, do i have to drill holes on the trunk to make this thing fit? anyone has installed this before so you can provide advice about the best way to install this spoiler. Thank you!
well if you have the factory spoiler as you say you really need to weld the existing holes up before moving on (or buying a GXE trunk lid) because the holes will not be covered correctly and cause leaks.

secondly yes you will need to drill holes to match it up. They make some plastic pieces that are flat but have a raised part in the center that matches the hole of the spoiler. You put those in the spoiler holes (all of them) and then place the spoiler on the car and align it like you want. After that you tape down the flat parts of the plastic pieces so that when you lift the spoiler they are still in place. Now those plastic pieces have a hole in the center of the raised portion for you to drill a pilot hole. After that take the plastic pieces off and drill the correct size holes in the trunk, put the spoiler in place and bolt it on. For the side pieces you will have to drill extra holes on the inside to allow you to put bolts in.

good luck
Old 08-20-2007, 10:34 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

BTW here are a couple of pics of the locater piece I am talking about

You will need to put them in all the spoiler holes so you can tape them down all at once and locate the spoiler perfectly.

You should be able to pick them up at any place that sells and installs accessories for cars (spoilers and such). You might even find them at a paint shop.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:38 AM
White_Shadow

OMG! it seems I got myself into a lot of trouble, maybe it's easier than it sounds but I don't have tools or experience to weld the holes, I noticed that the holes don't match and are kind of big for the screws I got to secure the spoiler and I was thinking to use that clay that you mixup and when it dry becomes very hard like a stone (sorry for the dumb description I forgot the name of that) to fill up the holes but I don't know if that will work or not, I was thinking on taking this to a body shop but I believe they are gonna charge a fortune for such a small job and maybe they won't even take care of the small issues like the holes once they are covered up with the new spoiler, I will upload pictures later to check where those locator pieces are supposed to fit, because the spoiler seems to have a hole for such small screws, Thank you very much, I will update later when I got home.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:57 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

the stuff you are talkign about is JB weld and if done right it could work for a temp fix but I wouldnt do it.

Your best bet is to go to a junk yard and buy a GXE spoiler and just drill the holes and mount the new spoiler. Cheapest and easiest thing to do.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:05 PM
I can has?

Originally Posted by Michael
go to a junk yard and buy a GXE TRUNK LID
Free Fix
Old 08-20-2007, 04:56 PM
Alex_V

OMG! it seems I got myself into a lot of trouble, maybe it's easier than it sounds but I don't have tools or experience to weld the holes, I noticed that the holes don't match and are kind of big for the screws I got to secure the spoiler and I was thinking to use that clay that you mixup and when it dry becomes very hard like a stone (sorry for the dumb description I forgot the name of that) to fill up the holes but I don't know if that will work or not, I was thinking on taking this to a body shop but I believe they are gonna charge a fortune for such a small job and maybe they won't even take care of the small issues like the holes once they are covered up with the new spoiler, I will upload pictures later to check where those locator pieces are supposed to fit, because the spoiler seems to have a hole for such small screws, Thank you very much, I will update later when I got home.
If you dont want to buy a gxe trunk lid try asking a few body shops how much to "shave" the holes. Then take it home and mount your spoiler.

~Alex

Old 08-20-2007, 07:04 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by 94maxshima
Free Fix
i don't get it..
Old 08-20-2007, 07:58 PM
White_Shadow

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
i don't get it..
He means the fix for saying GXE spoiler instead of GXE Trunk lid

Ok here are the pictures of my spoiler

The purpose of the pictures is just to let you know what I bought and if you think those screws are enough to secure the spoiler to the trunk. I think I'll ask in a body shop for a trunk shave and then ask how much for a GXE trunk lid, I need to go with the cheapest/less time needed option.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:00 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

He means the fix for saying GXE spoiler instead of GXE Trunk lid

Ok here are the pictures of my spoiler

The purpose of the pictures is just to let you know what I bought and if you think those screws are enough to secure the spoiler to the trunk. I think I'll ask in a body shop for a trunk shave and then ask how much for a GXE trunk lid, I need to go with the cheapest/less time needed option.
i was looking at post #2. nevahmind.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:40 PM
- Product of Maxima.org -

IMO you don't necessarily have to weld to cover up the old holes....but it is the better option.

We shaved my old spoiler holes by putting some mesh under the trunk lid, sanding the top down god around the holes, and spreading bondo-glass (might have just been bondo) onto the top of the holes enough to let it penetrate the mesh and get a good grip underneath.....followed up with a good sand of the immediate area, and primed... If you went this route, so long as you weren't too messy about things, your spoiler should easily cover the holes.

It stayed like that for a year, no problems at all out of the holes.....it's not hard work at all, just a little time, effort, and a little bit of know-how.

micheal....i'm coming to visit sometime. you have every toy a garage could ever need.....and a chevelle to boot?