6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Who had Chrome Roof Strips replaced

Old 05-12-2007, 08:35 PM

Who had Chrome Roof Strips replaced

I took my car in to have the drivers side replaced, it was lifting off the car, no fading and the replacement 1 is 10x worse then the original 1, kinda pissed I even had it replaced.

So now the entire drivers side chrome strip has a gap on the roof while the passenger side is tight, I don't get it is this normal.

For those who had them replaced did they reuse the old chrome strip(in my case it was not fading but lifting off the car), it looks like they reused mine and just replaced the clips that hold it on the car.

I don't know what to do, I went back to the dealer and they still did not get it to seat properly after a 2nd and 3rd try, I'm gonna try another dealer and hopefully if they can't then I'll just pay a body shop.

Any suggestions or maybe I lucked out and got the kid who was new and was previously a McDonald's employee
Old 05-12-2007, 08:59 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

I recently looked at my faded strips and noticed that they are not faded, just oxidized. You can just scratch it with your nail and boom, the shiny chrome is still there. I am going to try some polishing compound tomorrow and post results with pics here then.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:12 PM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by STARR
For those who had them replaced did they reuse the old chrome strip, it looks like they reused mine and just replaced the clips that hold it on the car.
I had mine replaced, and obviously since I had them replaced they didn't reuse the piece they replaced...
Old 05-12-2007, 09:24 PM

Mine was lifting off the car, they ordered a new 1 which they replaced but they attached it improperly and I took it back the following day they just reused the strip again, they used the term reseat it.

jsmithsole, are the replaced ones on tight with no gaps, mine is slightly loose and you can run a Credit Card inbetween the body and strip
Old 05-13-2007, 08:55 AM

i read before that you can use mothers mag polish on the chrome pieces to bring back the original look.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:12 AM

Had mine replaced. Then they had to replace my front windshield since it cracked the day I picked up the car for having the chrome strips replaced.

Be careful with the windshield!!!
Old 05-13-2007, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
Had mine replaced. Then they had to replace my front windshield since it cracked the day I picked up the car for having the chrome strips replaced.

Be careful with the windshield!!!
What about the rear window?
Old 05-13-2007, 01:41 PM
Stang-seeking Max Missile

Mine are on order and are scheduled to be replaced next week (under warranty). The Mother's polish helps a lot but there's still oxidation I can't remove.

If the strips aren't installed in warm weather, they won't sit flush and you'll have a gap. Maybe that's why?
Old 05-13-2007, 02:10 PM

My car is out of warranty, but does anyone know if there is a 60k mile warranty or some sort of "extended" warranty for cosmetic problems? Or, does anyone know how much this would cost for parts/labor from the stealership?
Old 05-13-2007, 04:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My chrome strips are also badly scratched.
Can they be replaced under warranty???
Old 05-13-2007, 06:06 PM
SuPeRmOd

3/36 warranty. better off not replacing. they just fade again. and usually takes more than once to get done right. on my 3rd set, just accept they are are mismatched. sure others notice other things anyway.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:08 PM

I had mine replaced about a month ago. Just faded. They look good now and are seated fine, but the knucklehead who installed it scratched the paint above the door. I'd go back and give them hell, but I have to get the car painted anyway now after another tubesteak hit my car while leaving a car show at Knott's Berry Farm a couple of weeks ago.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Majestic06
I had mine replaced about a month ago. Just faded. They look good now and are seated fine, but the knucklehead who installed it scratched the paint above the door. I'd go back and give them hell, but I have to get the car painted anyway now after another tubesteak hit my car while leaving a car show at Knott's Berry Farm a couple of weeks ago.
Don't you love retarded people?
Old 05-14-2007, 05:40 AM

I had a windshield replaced recently, and the strips got bent. They wouldn't fit in right again, so I had the glass company replace my strips. My local Nissan dealership parts fellow, told me that when they have a Maxima with a broken windshield, they always replace the strips, because they rarely go back into place the right way.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:15 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
Don't you love retarded people?
Not when you see the damage. LOL
Old 05-14-2007, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
Not when you see the damage. LOL
the damage is seeing them in progress! (referring to actual non-mentally ill people that are just plain stupid and don't think)
Old 05-14-2007, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by 4MySwee
I had a windshield replaced recently, and the strips got bent. They wouldn't fit in right again, so I had the glass company replace my strips. My local Nissan dealership parts feloow, told me that when they have a Maxima with a broken windshield, they always replace the strips, because they rarely go back into place the right way.
interesting....

Had my windshield replaced due to my accident... will have to check. I know they were fading b4, so would see if they replaced it. Don't recall seeing it on the invoice.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:52 AM

That is interesting about the windshield because that is exactly what I thought the problem was when I purchased my 05 Max. The strips are bent near the top of the windshield on both sides. Nissan wants $400 to replace both of them. I tried to get them to do it under warrenty but they won't.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by lmuscella
That is interesting about the windshield because that is exactly what I thought the problem was when I purchased my 05 Max. The strips are bent near the top of the windshield on both sides. Nissan wants $400 to replace both of them. I tried to get them to do it under warrenty but they won't.
400$????

wow.... they were bent when you bought it?
Old 05-14-2007, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
3/36 warranty.
The warranty on cosmetic pieces like the window trim is 12 months/ 12,000 miles.

!Prjctmax!
The rear window trim on my Max is still in A1 shape.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Had mine replaced under warranty last year at 14k/18 months.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:49 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

damn thats a lot for just some chrome strips haha
Old 05-14-2007, 11:11 PM

I just bought a 04 maxima, and the chrome strips were all faded. I took it to the dealer and they said it would be 82.91 per strip and then about $50 labor. The part numbers are 73852-7Y000 and 73853-7y000. Its weird because the strips next to the windshield and rear window are ok, its just the strips that run across the cabin.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:17 AM

I had mine replaced because they were faded. I also had the windshield replaced since they cracked it when they replaced the chrome strips. Mine have faded again... go figure.

Mike
Old 05-15-2007, 04:43 AM

had mine changed 3 times in one day..lol. I am laughing about it now but i was really pissed that day. It my wasted 8 hours and just to make things worse they scratched the top part of the door, so they had to fix that and what not. Nissan needs to check the certifications of is mechanics. ehh. Make sure you check every spot on your car specially for the huge gaps they leave between those stripes
Old 05-15-2007, 07:11 AM

Man... just looked at mines..... they are the same ones.... and Swee is right, they are poking/bent by the windshield part, about midway, only the right one....

There is still faded in the middle. I'm going to see what i can do, this is bs.

I'm thinking maybe some tape could hold em down.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:43 PM

So the dealer has ordered all new parts, apparently they reused the original chrome strip cause it was fine but not seated properly, now we will see when everything new goes on, I just hope they don't scratch it anymore.

My car is at 29k and it's being done under warranty, bumper to bumper, 12 months 12000 miles is for all replacement parts and the 1st year of the car incase something out of the oridinary goes wrong that would usually never happen
Old 05-16-2007, 10:43 AM

Just had mine replaced under warranty at about 13 months and 18k miles. They appear to sit correctly, although there was a portion near the windshield that wasn't. Turned out one clip wasn't pushed in, so I just moved it around a bit and pushed it in, and everything was fine. I did polish one of the old strips the other day, the oxidation came off and it looked a lot better, but the color was still off so I had it replaced anyways. We'll see how it is in another year.

I thought they were just chrome trim pieces, but apparently they are rain drip moldings, hahaha, I just find it interesting that they actually serve a purpose.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:34 AM

I want to have mine painted. I had my windshield replaced yesterday and noticed that they unclipped the strips. I should have taken them to the body shop for paint, or get them powedercoated.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by joecurr
Just had mine replaced under warranty at about 13 months and 18k miles. They appear to sit correctly, although there was a portion near the windshield that wasn't. Turned out one clip wasn't pushed in, so I just moved it around a bit and pushed it in, and everything was fine. I did polish one of the old strips the other day, the oxidation came off and it looked a lot better, but the color was still off so I had it replaced anyways. We'll see how it is in another year.

I thought they were just chrome trim pieces, but apparently they are rain drip moldings, hahaha, I just find it interesting that they actually serve a purpose.
Yea, in the service manual it's interesting. They actually divert rain through the wheel wells!

I'm def going in to get mine replaced or seated correctly.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
I want to have mine painted. I had my windshield replaced yesterday and noticed that they unclipped the strips. I should have taken them to the body shop for paint, or get them powedercoated.
... red?
Old 05-19-2007, 11:24 AM

had mine replaced today under warranty
car has 21000 miles
Old 05-24-2007, 07:03 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

As per post #2 I have experimented with polishing compound to "unfade" the strips. Here are my before and after and the stuff I used. BTW that polishing compound is great for removing someone elses paint as well as scuff marks. Just remember to keep it lubricated.

Before: Notice the dull strip on the roof as compared to the one next to rear window. There is no reflection of the building at all on the faded part.

Before (Close Up)

After: Looks like the shine is restored and is reflective just like the unaffected piece.

After (Close Up)

Well, these are all the things that I used. Remember to keep the compound lubricated so that you don't just rub it dry. Microfiber cloth works great for these kind of projects.

Hope this helps folks.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:28 AM

$400 for some strips. i hope mine never fail. i don't have a warranty right now.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:07 AM

I just did the same thing as you Bernard! I did it on one side and looking at it I was like mehhh not that big of a difference, but when I compared it to the other side I was like at the shine difference! Going to leave it like that until my dad sees it and he can to me! lol But I still can not stand the gap where the two pieces meet oh well

dan
Old 05-24-2007, 02:07 PM

damn, this is kinda discouraging. I was gonna call up Nissan to order me a set so they can replace them for me, but seems like I'm better off with the original set since they fit right and new ones will just get oxidized again. I'll just polish it up.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:58 PM
SmokinMaxSE

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
As per post #2 I have experimented with polishing compound to "unfade" the strips. Here are my before and after and the stuff I used. BTW that polishing compound is great for removing someone elses paint as well as scuff marks. Just remember to keep it lubricated.

Before: Notice the dull strip on the roof as compared to the one next to rear window. There is no reflection of the building at all on the faded part.

Before (Close Up)

After: Looks like the shine is restored and is reflective just like the unaffected piece.

After (Close Up)

Well, these are all the things that I used. Remember to keep the compound lubricated so that you don't just rub it dry. Microfiber cloth works great for these kind of projects.

Hope this helps folks.
Before my strips got replaced I had to polish the roof portion like you did. They were peeling really bad too. Now the roof strips blends with the rear strips. They shine with after a car wash.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I bought my Max new as a last year model in 2005. The 04 must have sat on the lot forever because the strips were duller than anything the day I drove home. I had the replaced the next week with no questions asked. They are holding up still.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:08 PM

im going to try The Mother's polish cause my strips a fadeing..
Old 05-29-2007, 09:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Had mine replaced also.
Not a big deal under warranty

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who had Chrome Roof Strips replaced