5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Attntion: Pillager

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2001, 08:10 AM

Attntion: Pillager

Hey, how did you black out the chorme trim?

It looks AWESOME!!

I never understood why Nissan made the chrome mandatory on all models when the 5th gen. came out.

Did you all notice how the Bmw 5 series looks so much better without the chrome? at least I think so.
Old 11-01-2001, 08:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Attntion: Pillager

Originally posted by ArcticMax
Hey, how did you black out the chorme trim?

It looks AWESOME!!

I never understood why Nissan made the chrome mandatory on all models when the 5th gen. came out.

Did you all notice how the Bmw 5 series looks so much better without the chrome? at least I think so.
I'm curious...what chrome trim are you asking him about?
Old 11-01-2001, 10:14 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Do you mean the chrome around the windows?
Old 11-01-2001, 10:14 AM
Kal

Re: Re: Attntion: Pillager

He is talkin about the chrome trim around the windows on the door. It looks nice how he did it. He told me he used some kind of tape or somethin of that matter. Im thinking of painting mine black. I agree that it looks better without the chrome.
Old 11-01-2001, 01:43 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

did you know that you can use the Private Message for this?

instead of posting about it?
Old 11-01-2001, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by bags533
did you know that you can use the Private Message for this?

instead of posting about it?
This is of general interest since there are allready at least three people that are/were interested in blacking out their chrome. Don't you think?
Old 11-01-2001, 04:57 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally posted by Maksim2000

This is of general interest since there are allready at least three people that are/were interested in blacking out their chrome. Don't you think?

your correct that this is general intrest. however maybe if you pm'd him and asked him to write them up it would serve people better. or BETTER yet , pm him get the info and do the task and then YOU write it up( thank the person who helped you ) . that way the subject LINE of the post will be more informative to the general intrest of everyone, instead of one person.

BUT i now have taken away from this post and it's topic and i hate when people do that. so i will be on my way
Old 11-01-2001, 07:43 PM

I think he painted them. I saw them, but I don't remember. I will let him answer your question though.
Old 11-01-2001, 09:04 PM
Kal

Originally posted by Greg's2kGLE
I think he painted them. I saw them, but I don't remember. I will let him answer your question though.
Hey Greg whats your opinion on painting them. I am concidering to do this. On my 98 SE before it was totaled i painted all the chrome letters and everythin black 2 match the body color and it looked really nice.
-Kalpesh Patel
Old 11-01-2001, 09:10 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by kalbundy

Hey Greg whats your opinion on painting them. I am concidering to do this. On my 98 SE before it was totaled i painted all the chrome letters and everythin black 2 match the body color and it looked really nice.
-Kalpesh Patel
If the paint chips or fades then... it might look ugly.
Old 11-02-2001, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by kalbundy

-Kalpesh Patel
Yea like Kev said, it might start peeling if you don't use good paint. Plus you will have to be REALLY careful when applying it. Anyways, I kind of like the chrome trim. It's not ugly, but painted would look nice. I just think that it is too much of a risk for something like that.
Old 11-03-2001, 09:17 AM

How to Black-out the Chrome Window Trim...

I used a product manufactured by TRIMBRITE Products . It's kinda like a vinyl tape with adhesive that's flat black in color. It comes in a roll 1 3/8 in. X 20 ft. The item/product number is T-9005. It's made specifically for blacking out chrome window trim. It's relatively easy to apply, if you have patience, because you'll have to cut the tape, cuz it's too wide. The most difficult areas to do are around the front window (side mirror) and the rear door window. The curves are too sharp for the tape to bend around, so it must be cut into two or three pieces to make it around.

Installation directions:

1. Apply only at temperatures between 60 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit (16-27 degrees Celcius). Note: Do not apply to a hot surface or in direct sunlight.

2. Clean application area thoroughly. For application over pre-painted moldings, remove all paint elements first, exposing the base metal surface.

3. Cut tape oversize to the length of application area. Note: From personal experience, I recommend that you leave approximately 0.5 millimeter extra around the edges. I installed mine in the summertime, and since it's black and subjected to heat and direct sunlight, I found that it shrinks less than 0.5 millimeters over the course of a few months. I have some very small gaps, but they can't be see from the side of the vehicle, unless you're a few feet away and looking directly down at the seams.

4. Slowly remove backing paper as you apply. Carefully rub firmly into molding contours or over edges. Note: Avoid creases or bubbles in film.

5. Trim excess tape with a knife or razor blade. Repeat as required. Note: Be careful not to cut too deeply into the window trim or rubber moldings, as the razor will easily cut through them.

6. Do not wash vehicle or subject it to abuse for approximately 48 hours.

7. Good Luck & Enjoy Your Tight Ride!!!

If you have any additional questions, feel free to PM or email me.
Old 11-03-2001, 09:21 AM

How To Section

I just posted this in the How-To/Installation section for future reference. Peace.
Old 11-03-2001, 11:07 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: How To Section

Originally posted by Pillager
I just posted this in the How-To/Installation section for future reference. Peace.
Thanks!
Old 08-04-2006, 10:24 AM

Anybody know where can I buy this tape so I don't have to order it online?
Also, how many rolls would I need?
Old 08-04-2006, 10:27 AM

do u have a picture?
Old 08-04-2006, 11:12 AM

I used trim paint. I dont think it is as durable as the trim tape though and requires some work (removing window trim). It has chipped in some places (poor prepping on my part) but all I do is tape it off and apply paint again. The paint does stick well, I just didn't use a degreaser and some light sanding to prep the surface. Here is a pix on my car of painted black trim:
Old 08-04-2006, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by ChromeSE5
I used trim paint. I dont think it is as durable as the trim tape though and requires some work (removing window trim). It has chipped in some places (poor prepping on my part) but all I do is tape it off and apply paint again. The paint does stick well, I just didn't use a degreaser and some light sanding to prep the surface.
Was the trim hard to remove and reinstall? I've been wanting to do this for a while now and that seems like the best way to get a quality result.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
Was the trim hard to remove and reinstall? I've been wanting to do this for a while now and that seems like the best way to get a quality result.

its not really hard, just tricky, especially around the rear window. There are bolts under the weather stripping and some stickers that you need to loosen up.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:36 PM

Thanks, I'll check it out.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:43 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by wade
do u have a picture?
http://maxima.cardomain.com/id/pillager