5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Changed MAF - What is Idle Learn?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 08:57 AM

Changed MAF - What is Idle Learn?

So my MAF was changed, with a 22680-2Y001, and the ECU was reprogrammed and set to Idle Learn.

What is it 'learning' during the idle-learn period (about 250-300KM (150-200M)?
Old 11-28-2006, 10:20 AM

I just bought the same MAF. What were the symptoms that meade you change?

I have my SES light on and when I get to about 3K it starts to lag and hesitate. Reading some threads it lead me to the conclusion that it was the MAF. My old part number was 22680-AD200. Do I have to get my ECM reprogammed to accomodate the 2Y001?
Old 11-28-2006, 10:26 AM

need to reprogram with counter measure ecm program, and perform idle air volume learn which will bring idle to factory specs 650rpm for 5spds, and 700rpm for autos.

Guess what, gotta go to the dealership if you get a SES code P0505 ISC system, which needs to have idle re-learned.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:40 AM

Damn...that's what I was affraid of. I haven't installed it yet - I just got it a half hour ago. Any idea how much you guy's charge for that?
Old 11-28-2006, 11:00 AM

They charged me an hour's work though I think the official Nissan manual says 1.2 hours.

So the Idle learn just figures out what it takes to keep the car idleing at 650, that is it? What about the other ECU programming, will it learn and adapt to the way the car is driven or it's a simple mapping program?

Ollie, What made me change was 1) generally down on power throughout the rev range, especially down on torque. The power loss was especially bad over 3500-4000 RPM. 2) The dealer running a diagnostic on the MAF and telling me that it was in fact bad.

I have the 2000/2001 service manual in PDF and there ***MAY*** be a way to set the Idle Learn mode. However in your case I don't think that it is enough as you must also get the ECU reprogrammed to use the new 2Y001 MAF.

Sweet Our-Lady-Of-Blessed-Acceleration the change is night and day.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:00 AM
2002 maxima se

charge for what?

he said the ECU reprrogram is not necessary unless/otherwise you get a code P0505. My Maf is on the way and many have told me that ECU reprogram is not needed. dealer charge around $140 to reprogram ecu thats more than what a MAF cost. the benefits of reprogram ecu is not huge.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:02 AM
2002 maxima se

Originally Posted by bert
They charged me an hour's work though I think the official Nissan manual says 1.2 hours.

So the Idle learn just figures out what it takes to keep the car idleing at 650, that is it? What about the other ECU programming, will it learn and adapt to the way the car is driven or it's a simple mapping program?
just reset the ECU for that no reprogramming is needed. it will learn and adopt by itself as you said.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:16 AM

So if I'm reading you guys correctly - put in the new MAF and reset the ECU - badda-bing....I'm done?

edit: My SES is a catylist problem code - not the P0505
Old 11-28-2006, 11:22 AM
2002 maxima se

Originally Posted by Ollie
So if I'm reading you guys correctly - put in the new MAF and reset the ECU - badda-bing....I'm done?
Thats what I am gonna do. and thats what several other members have done.
make sure to unplug the negative battery terminal before unplugging and installing the MAF. by the way you dont have to replace the MAF housing (tube) just take the sensor out of its housing and put it in the old stock housing. you are done. to reset the ecu keep the negative cable unplugged for 12 hours.
EDIT: not reprogramming the ECU wont damage the new MAF sensor.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:29 AM

PRE-CONDITIONING
Before performing Idle Air Volume Learning, make sure that all of
the following conditions are satisfied.
Learning will be cancelled if any of the following conditions are
missed for even a moment.
+ Battery voltage: More than 12.9V (At idle)
+ Engine coolant temperature: 70 - 99°C (158 - 210°F)
+ PNP switch: ON
+ Electric load switch: OFF
(Air conditioner, headlamp, rear window defogger)

Turn ignition switch ON and wait at least 1 second.
2. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.
3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
4. Check that all items listed under the topic PRE-CONDITIONING
(previously mentioned) are in good order.
5. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.
6. Start the engine and let it idle for at least 30 seconds.
7. Disconnect throttle position sensor harness connector (brown),
then reconnect it within 5 seconds.
8. Wait 20 seconds.
9. Make sure that idle speed is within specifications. If not, the
result will be incomplete. In this case, find the cause of the
problem by referring to the NOTE below.
10. Rev up the engine two or three times. Make sure that idle
speed and ignition timing are within specifications.

There is a picture of where the TPS is. If someone can host it I can sent it to them, otherwise PM me your e-mail and I will send it to you, unless you can attach pictures in PMs.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:04 PM

Wew - I didn't want to spend an addtional $140.00 for a stupid computer program. I hope this solves my high RPM hesitation problem.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:09 PM

Ollie,

I am not a mechanic, but I think the Idle Learn and the ECU programming are different beasts all together.

I think that because of the new part AD200 vs. 2Y001 you WILL need to get the ECU reprogrammed. You may want to look in the stickes for MAF replacement writeups.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:43 PM

Yes, installing the new MAF from the original 22680-AD200 to the newly updated MAF 22680-2Y001 requires a new ECU reprogramming done with the CONSULT from the dealer. It is a big software program in which the dealer takes about an hour to complete. I was told it was highly recommended by the dealer once the new MAF was installed. The ECU, supposedly, will respond better and adjust to the new MAF. Now, there's plenty of people who have chosen to not go this route, including myself. I have installed the newly updated MAF about a month ago and only noticed a slight change. Yeah, my response and pickup is much quicker, and my slight hesitation is gone as I was experiencing from the old MAF, but now my gas mileage has decreased slightly. Now, the reprogramming is supposed to correct this, but I'm not worried about it because I haven't experienced any problems. In fact, I had just got my ECU reprogrammed a week before I had put the new MAF because I had the infamous P0420 code. Now, being that the ECU was recently reprogrammed, it now requires a new reprogram because it requires a totally different software program for the new MAF. The dealer can tell right away what model MAF is in the car from their CONSULT, and they load the appropriate program according to the MAF model. Now, for me, I had no codes stored before the MAF install, but I did leave the battery disconnected 12+ hours so that the ECU can "re-learn" everything from jump. This way, the ECU would adjust to the new MAF and learn a fresh start in adjustments and readings. Now, I could take it to the dealer and pay for 1hr of labor for the new reprogramming, but again I'll save my money and settle to how the car is runnning now since I haven't experienced any problems. I'm satisfied for now with greater pickup speed and no hesitations. The gas mileage is slightly lower, but the least of my concerns. So, all in all, if anybody is wondering if the ECU reprogramming is neccesary...it's highly recommended, but not absolutely necessary. But, once the ECU is reprogrammed to the new MAF, it will benefit to how the car should run and keep within the necessary adjustments...fuel and idling.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:01 PM
2002 maxima se

Originally Posted by MIXXMAX
Yes, installing the new MAF from the original 22680-AD200 to the newly updated MAF 22680-2Y001 requires a new ECU reprogramming done with the CONSULT from the dealer. It is a big software program in which the dealer takes about an hour to complete. I was told it was highly recommended by the dealer once the new MAF was installed. The ECU, supposedly, will respond better and adjust to the new MAF. Now, there's plenty of people who have chosen to not go this route, including myself. I have installed the newly updated MAF about a month ago and only noticed a slight change. Yeah, my response and pickup is much quicker, and my slight hesitation is gone as I was experiencing from the old MAF, but now my gas mileage has decreased slightly. Now, the reprogramming is supposed to correct this, but I'm not worried about it because I haven't experienced any problems. In fact, I had just got my ECU reprogrammed a week before I had put the new MAF because I had the infamous P0420 code. Now, being that the ECU was recently reprogrammed, it now requires a new reprogram because it requires a totally different software program for the new MAF. The dealer can tell right away what model MAF is in the car from their CONSULT, and they load the appropriate program according to the MAF model. Now, for me, I had no codes stored before the MAF install, but I did leave the battery disconnected 12+ hours so that the ECU can "re-learn" everything from jump. This way, the ECU would adjust to the new MAF and learn a fresh start in adjustments and readings. Now, I could take it to the dealer and pay for 1hr of labor for the new reprogramming, but again I'll save my money and settle to how the car is runnning now since I haven't experienced any problems. I'm satisfied for now with greater pickup speed and no hesitations. The gas mileage is slightly lower, but the least of my concerns. So, all in all, if anybody is wondering if the ECU reprogramming is neccesary...it's highly recommended, but not absolutely necessary. But, once the ECU is reprogrammed to the new MAF, it will benefit to how the car should run and keep within the necessary adjustments...fuel and idling.
A+++ You just cleared it out very decently. great info!

Now since i got extra money i think i should get the ECU reprogrammed after installing the new MAF.
And you know that the new MAF comes with housing(tube) plus the sensor right? so my question is what if we just replace the sensor only why do we need to go thru extra work by replacing the whole MAF housing when our stock one is not cracked or broken? I mean is it ok to just replace the sensor without replacing the TUBE?
Old 11-28-2006, 08:53 PM

I forget what TSB it is but Nissan is adamant that the MAF "element" be matched with the correct tube, or in this case that the whole MAF assy. be replaced and the ECM reprogram be accomplished for the '00/01 cars, or you'll have performance and emissions issues. Lots of people ignore this it seems but I think that they are the ones that probably have issues, maybe not right away, but later on and are back on this forum with MAF related problems again. "Playing around" with the intake on these cars, especially the MAF and TB is just asking for misery as we see time after time.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:02 PM
2002 maxima se

Originally Posted by P. Samson
I forget what TSB it is but Nissan is adamant that the MAF "element" be matched with the correct tube, or in this case that the whole MAF assy. be replaced and the ECM reprogram be accomplished for the '00/01 cars, or you'll have performance and emissions issues. Lots of people ignore this it seems but I think that they are the ones that probably have issues, maybe not right away, but later on and are back on this forum with MAF related problems again. "Playing around" with the intake on these cars, especially the MAF and TB is just asking for misery as we see time after time.
is it easy to remove the whole maff assembly and fit it back in? what can happen if only MAF element be replaced? not the housing? i heard the housing is only a holder.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:23 PM

I believe the inside diameter and or the profile of the "tube" is different. This could change the airflow velocity at the MAF.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by OC guy
A+++ You just cleared it out very decently. great info!

Now since i got extra money i think i should get the ECU reprogrammed after installing the new MAF.
And you know that the new MAF comes with housing(tube) plus the sensor right? so my question is what if we just replace the sensor only why do we need to go thru extra work by replacing the whole MAF housing when our stock one is not cracked or broken? I mean is it ok to just replace the sensor without replacing the TUBE?
It's not well worth just replacing the sensor itself. The sensor is highly sensitive and delicate. That's why it's also not recommended to clean it either. It may even cause you more grief afterwards. Anyway, it's better if you just buy the whole assembly, with it being already in the tube. The new MAF is sold with the whole assembly. You can get new for about $100.00 or so. Well worth the investment. For the 2k-2k1 models it's direct plug-and play. But, for the 2k2-2k3 models, their MAFs are different. But, if they choose to use this 22680-2Y001 MAF, they would have to rewire it differently because of the thermistor.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:42 AM
2002 maxima se

It's not well worth just replacing the sensor itself. The sensor is highly sensitive and delicate. That's why it's also not recommended to clean it either. It may even cause you more grief afterwards. Anyway, it's better if you just buy the whole assembly, with it being already in the tube. The new MAF is sold with the whole assembly. You can get new for about $100.00 or so. Well worth the investment. For the 2k-2k1 models it's direct plug-and play. But, for the 2k2-2k3 models, their MAFs are different. But, if they choose to use this 22680-2Y001 MAF, they would have to rewire it differently because of the thermistor.
Hats off to you.
great info!
thanks alot.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:57 AM

This is exactly my situation right now.....I have the AD200.

I am also pulling the P0420 code....but....I am loosing power so I'm wondering if my pre-cat's bad. I found a bank 1 pre cat online that I may purchase.

I have also ordered a warpspeed 'y' - so I'm wondering if that'll throw a code as well. I'm starting a thread on this.