4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Crankshaft Pulley Broke?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 08:38 AM

Crankshaft Pulley Broke?

Hum.. About a week about my ac/alternator belt shreded. so i got a new gatorbelt and tossed it on. About two days ago it started squeeking again so i assumed it has stretched and it was time to tighten it again. Well today I was almost home then i hear it go, THUMP THUMP THUMP. i pull over in a parking lot and see that this big pulley had fallen off:

got home and looked inside and saw this:

Im completely lost with this one. I beleive its the crankshaft pulley. But on the crankshaft pulley this is 2 parts, the inside and the outer ring. The inside is fine but if im right, the outer ring is what fell off.. Heres a close up of it:

So if i am right, will i need to get a whole new pulley? or how was this sucker held on before? It looks like a rubberish glue, or is that something that happened becuase it broke? Please help!

Thanks

Sean
Old 09-23-2006, 09:08 AM

might as well get u/r pulley?? but stock replacement or not you will probably be better off getting a new crank pulley rather than trying to get a away to put that back on there. wow I have never seen/heard of that b4! you must drive really fast lol j/k
Old 09-23-2006, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by matts95max
might as well get u/r pulley?? but stock replacement or not you will probably be better off getting a new crank pulley rather than trying to get a away to put that back on there. wow I have never seen/heard of that b4! you must drive really fast lol j/k
me either. hopefully someone on here has seen it before. scared the bageezus out of me. if i plan to go s/c is there any benefit to the u/r pulley?
Old 09-23-2006, 09:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

it's rare, but does happen. i see it more with domestic vehicles. there's a rubber insulator between the inner & outer parts that goes bad. you need a new balancer or atleast another one. dealer or junk yard.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:09 AM

I almost had that same problem a couple of years ago, except mine just got off track a little and was turning my belt sideways... The rubber i belive is a harmonic balancer, nevertheless you have to replace the entire crankshaft pulley.. Ran me about $250 from the dealer, no autoparts store could get one for me.... You will also need a long pry bar to loosen that pulley bolt, its on really tight!! I was raising the motor up just prying on that thing, after that it's not to difficult just be sure to tighten the bolt to specs before you put the belt back on......
Old 09-23-2006, 10:13 AM
Father of the 00 VI

i have one with 35k on it if you need it
Old 09-23-2006, 11:40 AM
VK56 Inside

WOW. Thats pretty crazy. Go with a Unorthodox UDP.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:43 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

The crankshaft pulley is NOT a harmonic balancer, nor is ANY PART of it.

The rubber is just there to absorb some vibration. Over time, it can dry out, crack, and break. No big deal... You will just need a new pulley.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:56 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Originally Posted by d00df00d
The crankshaft pulley is NOT a harmonic balancer, nor is ANY PART of it.

The rubber is just there to absorb some vibration. Over time, it can dry out, crack, and break. No big deal... You will just need a new pulley.
That sounds like a harmonic balancer to me.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/colum.../March/09.html

Dispite what everyone has said in the past about the Maxima pulley not being or having a harmonic balancer, there IS rubber in the pulley. That means it does absorb some amount of vibration. Call it what you will, but the rubber isnt there for nothing.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Dubbya
WOW. Thats pretty crazy. Go with a Unorthodox UDP.
Or their Ultra Sc, which is still lighter but is the same diameter as stock and won't require a different belt.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:20 PM
Wild for Width

I taped a Harmonica to my Motostorm
Old 09-23-2006, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by sean05
me either. hopefully someone on here has seen it before. scared the bageezus out of me. if i plan to go s/c is there any benefit to the u/r pulley?
Do not get an underdrive pulley if you're planning to go s/c. I don't know much about supercharging but I assume the Ultra Sc version d00df00d mentioned should be fine though. I also have an oem pulley laying around if you want to buy it. Don't forget to replace the oil seal when you replace the pulley.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:18 PM

Wow, Odd that this happened but replace with an UDP if you want to try and free up a little power and rev a little faster.

For than crank pulley bolt. Get a long brake bar, have someone hold it on the bolt and let someone crank the car in bursts. Should break the bolt free pretty easily.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:34 PM

I got a price at the stealership. They quoted me 250. I do plan on going supecharged here soon. I know the only two options, a stock pulley or the UDP SC which is still the stock diameter. Im probably going to go with the SC becuase its lighter plus is the same size (hopefully). Some guys in the FI section had a few defective ones that were still smaller then stock.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:01 PM

You could get a crank pulley for $30 from a junk yard, or a member online here would sell it much cheaper than $250. But getting the UDP SC from now would be a good move if you know you will go boost later.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:07 PM

The ONLY reason to get an UDP is it's probably cheaper than the OEM piece.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:20 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

if it was me id be thrilled i have a solid reason to upgrade....time for lightened pulley ! not an UP just a lightened one.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:18 PM

Yep $250 is what a oe crank pulley will cost ya, all the auto parts guys told me that it was a harmonic balancer/pulley in one so.......whatever? Guess it don't matter b/c u have to replace the whole thing anyway
Old 09-24-2006, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by nismology
The ONLY reason to get an UDP is it's probably cheaper than the OEM piece.
even with going boosted? If i was getting the Ultra SC from Unorthodox.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:50 AM

Stay STOCK when you go SC. Contact someone, get it used...or just get a new on from the dealership. Ive seen that happen before

-matt
Old 09-24-2006, 06:51 AM

even with going boosted? If i was getting the Ultra SC from Unorthodox.
You'd be hard-pressed to see any gains from an UDP, boosted or not. I'd get a lightened flywheel before that. Then again, you might save some $$ by getting one.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:59 AM

thanks guys. im going to see if i can find one used from an orger. As right of right the car isnt driveable correct?

Originally Posted by krismax
i have one with 35k on it if you need it
you got a PM
Old 09-24-2006, 07:21 AM

I would not drive the car.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by JSutter
That sounds like a harmonic balancer to me.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/colum.../March/09.html

Dispite what everyone has said in the past about the Maxima pulley not being or having a harmonic balancer, there IS rubber in the pulley. That means it does absorb some amount of vibration. Call it what you will, but the rubber isnt there for nothing.
Despite how often people get them confused, a crank pulley, a vibration damper, and a harmonic balancer are three different things. Kind of like they're, their, and there.

The crank pulley on a VQ acts as a vibration damper, but it is not a harmonic balancer. The VQ is internally balanced.

As for the UDP vs. Ultra Sc debate... An Ultra Sc pulley will help you rev faster and may free up some horsepower because it is lighter than the stock pulley. An underdrive pulley (UDP) will do the same things, but it will do them a little better because it is smaller and even lighter, and, due to its smaller size, also takes less power away from your engine to drive your alternator and air conditioning compressor. Most people don't really notice the loss in electrical power or AC efficiency unless they have big audio systems.

It's important to note that both pulleys are solid and do not have vibration dampers. Also, the UDP will require you to use a smaller accessory belt. Take those as you will.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:35 AM

Despite how often people get them confused, a crank pulley, a vibration damper, and a harmonic balancer are three different things. Kind of like they're, their, and there.

The crank pulley on a VQ acts as a vibration damper, but it is not a harmonic balancer. The VQ is internally balanced.

As for the UDP vs. Ultra Sc debate... An Ultra Sc pulley will help you rev faster and may free up some horsepower because it is lighter than the stock pulley. An underdrive pulley (UDP) will do the same things, but it will do them a little better because it is smaller and even lighter, and, due to its smaller size, also takes less power away from your engine to drive your alternator and air conditioning compressor. Most people don't really notice the loss in electrical power or AC efficiency unless they have big audio systems.

It's important to note that both pulleys are solid and do not have vibration dampers. Also, the UDP will require you to use a smaller accessory belt. Take those as you will.
Well I'm stuck. I dont know if I should just grab a used stock pulley, or if it would be better for me to get the Unorthodox pulley thats lighten but still the same diameter as stock for when i go boosted. Matty suggest just going stock . How much would a lightened pulley help out when i switch over to supercharged?

Originally Posted by MDeezy
I would not drive the car.
Im not. I get to ride around in this bad boy:
Old 09-24-2006, 08:37 AM

Thanks for clearing that up for us.....
Old 09-24-2006, 09:09 AM

There's been no precedent set with 1/4 mile times that substantiates the claims that the UDP does anything more than look pretty. The theory is sound, but practical > theoretical. I can explain why, but I don't want this to too far OT though, so i digress.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:06 PM

Well I'm stuck. I dont know if I should just grab a used stock pulley, or if it would be better for me to get the Unorthodox pulley thats lighten but still the same diameter as stock for when i go boosted. Matty suggest just going stock . How much would a lightened pulley help out when i switch over to supercharged?
Well, if you're supercharging, you probably won't notice a difference with the Ultra Sc pulley. The only reason to get it would be if you wanted a guarantee that it won't break like this again.

Otherwise, just save yourself a ton of money and get a used stocker.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:19 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

A new OEM crankshaft pully is $180 from Pinnacle Nissan.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...99&catalogid=1

I wouldn't put a used pully on the car.
Rubber deteriorates over time and a used pully from a 4th gen is getting, ummm shall I say... old regardless of mileage.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:02 PM

^ Good advice.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:19 PM

Same thing happened to me maybe 2 months ago, the EXACT same thing. I ended up buying a used UR UDP from a member here for a great price. Power gains and quicker reving? Maybe, but small stuff adds up, its like weight reduction. I went with an aftermarket pulley because of the 1 peice design, i know it won't break into peices like the stock one did, and it was cheaper also.