Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

help: bose speakers on left side not working..

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 12:01 PM

help: bose speakers on left side not working..

so i decided to borrow my mom's 95SE with bose system and realized the left side speakers are not working reguardless of fade/balance settings. what steps can i take to troubleshoot before totally dismantling the dash and doors all at once to look for electrical problems?
Old 07-19-2006, 12:21 PM

Do neither of the side speakers work (front and back)? If that is the case, sounds like a problem with the head unit or wiring. make sure you play around with the balance *** a little. The can be tricky sometimes when they don't pop all the way out.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Hexon
Do neither of the side speakers work (front and back)? If that is the case, sounds like a problem with the head unit or wiring. make sure you play around with the balance *** a little. The can be tricky sometimes when they don't pop all the way out.
correct, none of the left side speakers work no matter what the balance/fade controls are set at. what should i be looking at first?
Old 07-19-2006, 03:43 PM

its the HU its ****e$ up i had the same problem in a 2k2
Old 07-19-2006, 04:14 PM

What he said ^
Old 07-19-2006, 05:10 PM

i guess it's time to disassemble the dash. can it be fixed or does it sound like toast?
Old 07-19-2006, 05:48 PM
Suspension Yoda

Typically the HU is toast...
Old 07-20-2006, 10:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

strange problem...

I apologize if this is considered post-jacking, but I have a similar problem, and cannot yet start new threads.

I have a stock Bose system in a 97 max. Only the front left speaker works, unless I press down on the screen. If I maintain pressure on the display, all speakers work. Because of this, I assume it's a wiring problem.

I have my dash taken apart, and the wiring seems to be in order, although I admit, I know very little about car electronics. With the HU pulled out, I can still get the speakers to work by pressing down on the display, leaving the wires coming out the back untouched. Does this mean there is an internal problem in my HU? Do I need to replace it?

I would greatly appreciate any help or advice, as my car is currently pulled apart, and I don't want to put it back together until the problem is resolved. Thank you.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:08 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by drepper
I apologize if this is considered post-jacking, but I have a similar problem, and cannot yet start new threads.

I have a stock Bose system in a 97 max. Only the front left speaker works, unless I press down on the screen. If I maintain pressure on the display, all speakers work. Because of this, I assume it's a wiring problem.

I have my dash taken apart, and the wiring seems to be in order, although I admit, I know very little about car electronics. With the HU pulled out, I can still get the speakers to work by pressing down on the display, leaving the wires coming out the back untouched. Does this mean there is an internal problem in my HU? Do I need to replace it?

I would greatly appreciate any help or advice, as my car is currently pulled apart, and I don't want to put it back together until the problem is resolved. Thank you.
Yes, it's an internal problem to your HU.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:47 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Both problems listed above are typicals of the Bose audio in the Maximas. Although in somecases they have been repaired, the problem(s) usually return. Best/wisest bet is to replace.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wow, this sounds like my problem...

I have a 02 Max. The left side speaker cut out when I hit the gas. They come back when I brake. They also cut out some times when I hit a bump. Here is the wierd thing. It's only when I am playing CD's. Radio doesn't do it and when I listen to XM threw my tape player it doesn't do it. This is driving me crazy. I don't want to replace it with a after market small deck, but don't also want to waist money at a dealer getting it fixed. The ultimate solution would being getting a newer Bose HD with XM, but not sure if it would fit. I like the Bose 6 disc system, but also like listening to XM. I don't know what the hell to do. Maybe get an 07 Max. This problem is killing me. Someone help me.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:52 PM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by editguy25
I have a 02 Max. The left side speaker cut out when I hit the gas. They come back when I brake. They also cut out some times when I hit a bump. Here is the wierd thing. It's only when I am playing CD's. Radio doesn't do it and when I listen to XM threw my tape player it doesn't do it. This is driving me crazy. I don't want to replace it with a after market small deck, but don't also want to waist money at a dealer getting it fixed. The ultimate solution would being getting a newer Bose HD with XM, but not sure if it would fit. I like the Bose 6 disc system, but also like listening to XM. I don't know what the hell to do. Maybe get an 07 Max. This problem is killing me. Someone help me.
Replace your HU. Seriously, you will get better sound and be rid of the Blose HU for good. And, where the eff are you going to find a "bose HU with XM"????
Old 07-20-2006, 06:12 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Replace your HU. Seriously, you will get better sound and be rid of the Blose HU for good. And, where the eff are you going to find a "bose HU with XM"????

+1

and from a 6th gen? Granted it wont fit, but it does exist...
Old 08-04-2006, 08:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I too have the problem with the left channel not working [during cd playback only]. I noticed that there is a service bulletin for this problem, and when I asked my local dealer they informed me that there is a replacement program in place where for $250 they will exchange the HU for a reconditioned unit.

This sounds somewhat reasonable to me, but I just recently purchased an ipod, and I would like to connect it to my car (hard wire - no fm modulator or cass).

My question is; if I replace my HU with an aftermarket unit, is the rest of the bose system compatable? I understand that there may be a compatability issue with this setup. Anyone with any info?

It's an 02 max with bose 6cd indash no sat, no sat button.

Thanks
Old 08-05-2006, 04:26 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by formulaz
I too have the problem with the left channel not working [during cd playback only]. I noticed that there is a service bulletin for this problem, and when I asked my local dealer they informed me that there is a replacement program in place where for $250 they will exchange the HU for a reconditioned unit.

This sounds somewhat reasonable to me, but I just recently purchased an ipod, and I would like to connect it to my car (hard wire - no fm modulator or cass).

My question is; if I replace my HU with an aftermarket unit, is the rest of the bose system compatable? I understand that there may be a compatability issue with this setup. Anyone with any info?

It's an 02 max with bose 6cd indash no sat, no sat button.

Thanks
For $250 you can get better products...don't waste your money on an OEM part. I have read where you can get an auxiliary input into your Bose HU, but it involves opening it up and soldering, which I'm not sure you know how to do.

IF you get an aftermarket HU, yes, you can still retain your Bose system.

PLEASE PLEASE read the stickies. They are there for a reason.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

VQDriver - I would try removing your volume **** and spraying some electrical contact cleaner (get at Radio Shack) in there to see if that fixes anything first. My 97 has a twitchy volume **** and that has worked for me to get it back to normal for a while. If that works, it's a lot cheper and easier than replacing the head unit.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

formulaz - I also have an 02 MAX with the Bose system, and I am on my 4th head unit (all were replaced under warranty, which expired 7K ago). Every single one of them did the same thing you are descibing (except my right side would go out). My latest unit would return to normal if I gave it a love "tap" right about where the CD opening is. Unfortunately I gave it a love upper-cut one day and I cracked the VF display. Now everything works, but I can't tell what station I'm on or what CD is playing. I've been looking at used (removed) units on EBay, which seem to run in the $250-$350 range. I don't know why Nissan/Bose can't just make it work correctly.