6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Headers....

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 09:21 PM

Headers....

Ok so here it is.... so far I have only been able to find two companies that make headers for the max..... one is Hotshot Performance..... the other is OBX racing..... now with that in mind brings up a question which is better and why???? here are the two pics.... this is the OBX header and these are the hotshot performance headers.... On the hotshot website they seem a little bitter on their competition..... which is OBX it seems.... I have read allmost all of the ebayers negetive feedback and there are only a few of the items that gave me any sort of questioning attitude....
Old 05-09-2006, 09:25 PM

Dont buy those, I just talked to hotshot yesterday and they confirmed that the altima ser headers fit the 04-06 maximas. I always figured they did but didnt wanna drop the 700 to test them. Il be picking up a set as soon as I get the cash.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:32 PM
dot dot dot ...

HS > OBX.

Look at the design.... it's obvious.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:04 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by Glude
Dont buy those, I just talked to hotshot yesterday and they confirmed that the altima ser headers fit the 04-06 maximas. I always figured they did but didnt wanna drop the 700 to test them. Il be picking up a set as soon as I get the cash.
NO WAY!! So now we have headers for our cars???

NICE!!!!!!!!!!

FAK found more stuff to spend money on...............

Kam
Old 05-09-2006, 10:20 PM

Get them if you have the money. Im trying to save but the babys do in a month and I think it may be a while before I can pic up a set. For now I have an 02 bung welded in my stock y pipe and me and a friend are gonna do some street tuning using a wideband & my vafcII.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hotshot seems to be in EL Monte which is about 20 min from my house. Maybe Ill give em a call . . . hmmmmmm?
Old 05-10-2006, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Hotshot seems to be in EL Monte which is about 20 min from my house. Maybe Ill give em a call . . . hmmmmmm?
20 min from your house sounds like a personal visit and negotaite for a group purchase!
Old 05-10-2006, 07:01 AM
*moderator*

Yeah Deus we need a test fit, how has this slipped by us all for so long???
And Glude congrats on the new baby, I spent all I could before little man came!! Now he's 4 months and now he gets all the mods, bottles, diapers formula!!
Old 05-10-2006, 09:28 AM

we definatly need a test fit.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:37 AM

I just got off the phone with Martha from Hotshot. She told me that John, who seems to be in the know, said that it is NOT confirmed as to whether this header will fit our car. I was told that there are 3 different Altima designs and a couple of older Maxima designs for the VQ35. John will contact me to arrange for a fitting of all the designs and see 1.) if any will fit, and if it doesnt, 2.) if one will almost fit so it can be re-jigged to make a design that will fit our car.

Now here is what all of you can do to help. Email Martha and/or John at sales@hsperformance.com and let them know you are interested in headers and that you would like updates regarding header production for our cars.

Hotshot will be at a car show for the next week, starting tomorrow. I anxiously await John's return call and of course I'll keep you guys posted on here.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:47 AM

I just got off the phone with Martha from Hotshot. She told me that John, who seems to be in the know, said that it is NOT confirmed as to whether this header will fit our car. I was told that there are 3 different Altima designs and a couple of older Maxima designs for the VQ35. John will contact me to arrange for a fitting of all the designs and see 1.) if any will fit, and if it doesnt, 2.) if one will almost fit so it can be re-jigged to make a design that will fit our car.

Now here is what all of you can do to help. Email Martha and/or John at sales@hsperformance.com and let them know you are interested in headers and that you would like updates regarding header production for our cars.

Hotshot will be at a car show for the next week, starting tomorrow. I anxiously await John's return call and of course I'll keep you guys posted on here.
Their technical support needs to NOT spread false info then. Whoever you talked to, let them know that their guys are full of it. The headers they claimed work are the altima SER headers, which contain the EGR bung. Im pretty sure they will work, god hotshots customer service is just pure BS. Either way you should go in for a test fit for the SER headers because these are the ones they linked me to in the email and the others wont work because of lack of the EGR.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:51 AM

Well there may be a problem with the actual fitment, say around the starter or the frame, rather than just an EGR bung. Like I said, Ill talk to John directly when he calls and clarify everything. There may have been a communications break down and not a purposeful dispatch of false info. I'll get to the bottom of it.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:14 PM

ok...sorry for this but...newbie question...why change the headers for new ones if our cars have already...?? yeah i am assuming this should be better for some reason, since everything we change in our cars are upgrades...so what do this headers have different than the stock headers ?? i am assuming a less restricted flow ?? i hope it was a good guess...also, to replace the headers, i am assumming you have to dismount the engine ?? wow..lot of work...so how much an upgrade like this would run for ?? including parts and installation ?? and what are the gains ??

thank you

Luigi
Old 05-10-2006, 12:27 PM

holy crap so like these headers have been out for allmost 8 months now and no one has put them on.... I have yet to change my exhaust just because of the headers..... I wanted to get both at the same time..... I found these on www.Andysautosport.com about 8 months ago..... that is the hotshot performance ones..... the other ones which are the OBX have just recently become available on ebay..... I am still waiting for their website to be completed..... says this may or something like that..... HEADER FEATURES:

· Dyno tested and proven increase horse power

· Direct bolt-on without modification

· High quality T-304 stainless steel mandrel bend for ultra fast flow

· CNC machine flanges with Dual-TIG welded construction

· Utilizes factory 02 sensor position

· Gaskets and hardware included

· Lifetime warranty from manufacturer defects
this is what OBX claims I am not sure exactly what CNC machine flanges with Dual-TIG welded construction means could someone elaborate please..... this is well within my budget and if they aren't complete pieces of **** and if the welds are good then I will get them on friday..... and install them sometime next week when they get here.... I am in washington so shipping shouldn't take too long.... need guidance here... I see some people say don't get them just look at them.... if you ask me looks aren't too important for headers how they work and whether the welds will stay are what matters.... for all we know the ones from hotshot are manufactured the same way and ceramic coated to hide the welds and reinforce the material.... if these welds are lagit and hold then I will have them crome dipped for about 80 dollars extra... that would be a total of $405..... that's if I dip them.... which probably wouldn't happen....
Old 05-10-2006, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by luigi'smax
ok...sorry for this but...newbie question...why change the headers for new ones if our cars have already...?? yeah i am assuming this should be better for some reason, since everything we change in our cars are upgrades...so what do this headers have different than the stock headers ?? i am assuming a less restricted flow ?? i hope it was a good guess...also, to replace the headers, i am assumming you have to dismount the engine ?? wow..lot of work...so how much an upgrade like this would run for ?? including parts and installation ?? and what are the gains ??

thank you

Luigi
Luigi: A lot of ur questions can be answered by doing a bit of research online to find out what are the benefits of headers. Nevertheless, headers benefit most if not all engines by providing better flow for exhaust as soon as it leaves the engine. Another benefit is that headers are usually much lighter in weight. Finally, engine temperature may drop some due to more efficient removal of hot exhaust gasses.

Cost of headers varies depending on design, and whether or not a catalytic convertor is used. I would expect gains to be on the order or 15-20 hp depending what other mods are done. Cost for installing may be a bit steep since the rear header is difficult to access. I do all my work myself, so I dont factor this in, but those not as mechanically inclined will have to pay for some pretty steep labor I'm afraid.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:52 PM

Dues summed it up pretty well. Headers are the biggest power gainer on FWD VQ35s because of our precats and crappy stock manifolds. The obx headers are crap and as I have already said, the older hotshot ones wont work unless u wanna go through the trouble of having an exhaust shop weld in the bung for the EGR, only the new ser ones.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:54 PM

I haven't yet put it on the lift to see if I can do the install yet so I can't help with install questions but I was told there is a cover that has to be removed underneath and then you should be able to remove and replace..... I figured since I am going to have my local muffler shop build the rest of my exhaust for around 200 dollars I might as well have them install the headers.... use the money I am saving on cost of exhaust for labor of install.... this all works out the best that way if I do get the OBX headers they can check the welds for me and work out any imperfections....
Old 05-10-2006, 12:56 PM

I haven't yet put it on the lift to see if I can do the install yet so I can't help with install questions but I was told there is a cover that has to be removed underneath and then you should be able to remove and replace..... I figured since I am going to have my local muffler shop build the rest of my exhaust for around 200 dollars I might as well have them install the headers.... use the money I am saving on cost of exhaust for labor of install.... this all works out the best that way if I do get the OBX headers they can check the welds for me and work out any imperfections.... so the whole setup will cost around 650 installed damn that's less than the exhaust alone.... recommend doing your research on most of this stuff and see what your local pipe benders can do for you.....
Old 05-10-2006, 12:58 PM

po8: If there is a quality question on the OBX, u may want to wait for the Hotshot headers. There are some places to cut corners, and some places not to cut corners. I think this is NOT the place to cut corners. If Hotshot makes a quality header already that will fit, or if Hotshot will rejig the Altima header to make a header specifically for our car, u may want to reconsider using OBX. Just a thought.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:07 PM

with that being said if someone "myself" doesn't try then we will never know.... and if there is only one company that does make them, then they dominate meaning prices will be overwelming kinda like gas prices.... they do it because they can..... so I am just waiting for any confirmation on the type of welds... that is the big ticket question for me.... I allready have one reply back from them about piping size and they said 2 and a half in so that is one plus..... considering ours is like 1 3/4 or something like that.... less heat better times.... I am hoping I get this phone call about the welds soon.... to confirm my purchase.....
Old 05-10-2006, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by po8pimp
with that being said if someone "myself" doesn't try then we will never know.... and if there is only one company that does make them, then they dominate meaning prices will be overwelming kinda like gas prices.... they do it because they can..... so I am just waiting for any confirmation on the type of welds... that is the big ticket question for me.... I allready have one reply back from them about piping size and they said 2 and a half in so that is one plus..... considering ours is like 1 3/4 or something like that.... less heat better times.... I am hoping I get this phone call about the welds soon.... to confirm my purchase.....
I hope your still not talking about the OBX headers, what gives u the idea that they fit our cars? Please dont give me an ebay link because half the time its wrong.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:27 PM

Here is the ebay link for OBX. Id be VERY skeptical about this because I dont believe they will work. I could be wrong but its my opinion that one should be very careful here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-E...spagenameZWDVW
Old 05-10-2006, 01:36 PM

well I am not going to install them.... if they don't fit then the people installing them told me they will work with em to make them accomidate.... I know the guys doing the work and lets just say they are good..... they checked it out last night and called me back about 5 minutes ago and told me to do it.... they said the welds should be fine and should hold up.... they have worked with OBX headers before and said they have only encountered one problem with them..... which was the wrong part to begin with.... but they said not to worry they can and will hook it up.... if all else fails they will use my old headers and make new ones by using the brackets and boaring the holes to weld and bend new pipe.... we'll see.... said worst case for them to make me headers $300 with half the amount of welds.... but not to worry..... I trust em.... the owner attends the same church I do so no worries.....
Old 05-10-2006, 01:58 PM

well I am not going to install them.... if they don't fit then the people installing them told me they will work with em to make them accomidate.... I know the guys doing the work and lets just say they are good..... they checked it out last night and called me back about 5 minutes ago and told me to do it.... they said the welds should be fine and should hold up.... they have worked with OBX headers before and said they have only encountered one problem with them..... which was the wrong part to begin with.... but they said not to worry they can and will hook it up.... if all else fails they will use my old headers and make new ones by using the brackets and boaring the holes to weld and bend new pipe.... we'll see.... said worst case for them to make me headers $300 with half the amount of welds.... but not to worry..... I trust em.... the owner attends the same church I do so no worries.....
The design alone is a reason not to by them but do whatever you want with your money. Ive read too many threads about headers already to sit here and preach to people who havent read them. You may get em to fit but I wouldnt test a product made by a lower quality company thats already been proven to have minimal gains. If you care anything about performance you would by the hotshots.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:00 PM

Well I like the pioneering here but I am looking for a header which is specifically made for the car. I know Sexima did what ur doing - that is, take a similar header and make it fit. His installer told me that the rear header was a real bzitch getting on because they had to cut, weld, hack, chop etc. He got it to fit, but it was a LOTTTT of work, which is ok. If you have the resources to make this work, Ill be very pleased.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:37 AM

any update on the test fit on the hotshot headers yet?
Old 05-26-2006, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by celica
any update on the test fit on the hotshot headers yet?
I thought someone was going in for a test fit, im ready to order these. Just need confirmation from someone who actually knows they fit.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:13 AM

I have called them a COUPLE
Old 05-26-2006, 10:13 AM

I have called them a COUPLE of times with no response.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:14 AM

I have called them a COUPLE of times with no response.
Not a suprise, just keep at it man.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:44 AM

If anyone knows someone who is actually INTERESTED in making a 6th gen header that would be GREAT!!
Old 05-27-2006, 06:25 PM

arent all headers illegal?
Old 05-27-2006, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Look-at-my-MAX
arent all headers illegal?
Not exactly "illegal." Correct me if i'm wrong, but most headers if not all eliminate some of the catalytic converters on the exhaust, which would maybe make you fail emmisions, and another thing would be that the exhaust tone would be louder. You can fix the loudness of it by probaly putting on a different size resonator(don't exactly know which sizes make what sounds), and as for the emmisions, just re-install original y-pipe.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:20 PM

The sound is what I would be worried about. I don't mind a low growl to the engine, but I want to drive a Maxima, not a 70s-era muscle car.

If and when anyone does a test fit or has headers installed, post a video so we can have a soundclip to hear the diff.

Also, would installing headers affect gas mileage?
Old 05-28-2006, 02:39 AM

Maybe I Should Make It.

Juss Need To Purchase It And Take It To Muffler Shop And Get It Done Exactly Like Mine. Get Smaller Flange

Should Be Bolt On. But O2 Sensor Wire Needs To Be Extended. Dat I Can't Do It For You Guys.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by SEXIMA04
Maybe I Should Make It.

Juss Need To Purchase It And Take It To Muffler Shop And Get It Done Exactly Like Mine. Get Smaller Flange

Should Be Bolt On. But O2 Sensor Wire Needs To Be Extended. Dat I Can't Do It For You Guys.
Make What? And whats the deal with starting every word with a capitol letter?
Old 05-28-2006, 10:06 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

OK, so which is the exact set of HS Headers that will fit an 04 Max. I want to purchase for East Coast testing and fit and I will have RedLineMax install in his new shop. Is it these??? http://andysautosport.com/product/de...83&_v=vmd00321

PS, Glude congrats on the new baby!!!
Old 05-28-2006, 10:12 AM

I think before we start dropping $700-800 for headers or whatever it is, we should see what the time frame for having a set properly made and produced. Let me have this week to get a hold of Hotshot. If they dont return calls or emails, then maybe its best to have our own modified from an exisiting set thats close fit to our cars. If a lot of us email and call Hotshot, then I think they will more likely get off the dime then if only I do it. Encourage them to get a hold of me to arrange a test fit.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by chernmax
OK, so which is the exact set of HS Headers that will fit an 04 Max. I want to purchase for East Coast testing and fit and I will have RedLineMax install in his new shop. Is it these??? http://andysautosport.com/product/de...83&_v=vmd00321

PS, Glude congrats on the new baby!!!
Thanks, she's not here yet but it could be anytime now. The 05 altima ser headers are the ones you would wanna try out. The others dony have a EGR bung and that will result in a CEL if u buy headers without it.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:19 AM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

glad someone is working on this, cause this was my next thing after my video set up..

good luck guys, hopefully we find a solution for this..

Quick Reply: Headers....